• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This thread makes me happy that I choose not to use that bloatware called "Windows". I have not been in WIndows in years. Linux all the way. Does everything that I need it to do. Updates are so simple and easy. Right now I am in the process of building a new computer and it will be Windows free. Just have to decide which distro to put on it. Current one uses Ubuntu and that works great. But I might take a look at Slackware...
I run PCLinuxOS. I would highly recommend you give it a spin.

While I like the general look and feel of windows 11, the locked down nature of the start menu made me buy a stardock start11 license.
OH MY, I just looked at the Doz11 menu for the first time, that's horrid :mad:
They constantly try to reinvent the wheel when the cascading menu style that started in Win98 was close to perfect.
JMHO
Screenshot at 2023-01-09 17-33-44.png

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OH MY, I just looked at the Doz11 menu for the first time, that's horrid :mad:
They constantly try to reinvent the wheel when the cascading menu style that started in Win98 was close to perfect.
JMHO

I trained myself to stop sorting e-mail into folders, leave everything in the inbox (or archived inbox) and use the search function instead over 20 years ago. Part of Microsoft's rationale for the Windows 11 'Start Experience' is similar in that testing showed that people would find apps more quickly and consistently via search, rather than hunting through hierarchical menus.

However, I don't think the payback is a great with the Start Menu as it was with my inbox (I must have saved myself from several 'man months' of sorting e-mails by now :)).

I've tried to force myself to use the Power Toys Run feature (activated with ALT + SPACE) which works well (see below), but it's been impossible for me to overcome the muscle memory of reaching for the mouse and clicking on the Start button - once a WIMP, always a WIMP guess :)

1673306066412.png

I have left the Start button in the new location in the middle of my screen as this really does make a lot of sense on an ultrawide monitor and saves a lot of mouse miles!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I trained myself to stop sorting e-mail into folders, leave everything in the inbox (or archived inbox) and use the search function instead over 20 years ago.
OUCH, I can only see that becoming a huge mess over time.
The search function still works when things are properly sort into folders.
YMMV LOL

But I do understand what your saying, they're trying to find a better way for the Joe Sixpack that has never understood or been willing
to learn how, to properly organize all their Docs, Pictures, etc into a organized folders. I run into it all the time when getting called over by a friend
to help him find something he's lost. "Joe, what was the name of the file?, Ahhh" "Joe Where did you save it? AHHH" LOL
Like any other tool in the world, a computer or file cabinet has a proper way to use it.
I've forever been trying to teach Joe not to use the side of his Snap-On Swivel ratchet as a hammer and still see them in pieces on his garage floor. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
YMMV LOL

But I do understand what your saying, they're trying to find a better way for the Joe Sixpack that has never understood or been willing
to learn how, to properly organize all their Docs, Pictures, etc into a organized folders. I run into it all the time when getting called over by a friend
to help him find something he's lost. "Joe, what was the name of the file?, Ahhh" "Joe Where did you save it? AHHH" LOL
Like any other tool in the world, a computer has a proper way to use it.
I've forever been trying to teach Joe not to use the side of his Snap-On Swivel ratchet as a hammer and still see them in pieces on his garage floor. :facepalm:
Does he use a impact driver at all? I had access to a air tools selection although often the on-the-clock mechanic needed them so I used the hammer impact driver for tough stuff and it works if one does not fear it. I used to make my own folders for everything at root level down and not even bother with the local account...Lol.. Too stubborn to read the manual at the time....lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I trained myself to stop sorting e-mail into folders, leave everything in the inbox (or archived inbox) and use the search function instead over 20 years ago. Part of Microsoft's rationale for the Windows 11 'Start Experience' is similar in that testing showed that people would find apps more quickly and consistently via search, rather than hunting through hierarchical menus.

However, I don't think the payback is a great with the Start Menu as it was with my inbox (I must have saved myself from several 'man months' of sorting e-mails by now :)).

I've tried to force myself to use the Power Toys Run feature (activated with ALT + SPACE) which works well (see below), but it's been impossible for me to overcome the muscle memory of reaching for the mouse and clicking on the Start button - once a WIMP, always a WIMP guess :)

View attachment 256157

I have left the Start button in the new location in the middle of my screen as this really does make a lot of sense on an ultrawide monitor and saves a lot of mouse miles!
I do wish you could move the taskbar to the top of the screen. @restorer-john cued me into the idea being more efficient. Took about 2 weeks to get used to it and it is the best place for it. Cannot do that in Win 11 however. I must say after 3 days on Win 11 I find it the best Windows yet. Always people complaining with each release about how the previous one was better. And some complaints have some merit. So far this is the overall best version by far in my opinion. Even if it makes me keep the taskbar at the bottom.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
YMMV LOL

Like any other tool in the world, a computer or file cabinet has a proper way to use it.
The only thing worse than helping find "important" files is people's inability to know what their passwords are. I so hope passkeys quickly become the common way to do things. Already a few stores using them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do wish you could move the taskbar to the top of the screen. @restorer-john cued me into the idea being more efficient. Took about 2 weeks to get used to it and it is the best place for it. Cannot do that in Win 11 however. I must say after 3 days on Win 11 I find it the best Windows yet. Always people complaining with each release about how the previous one was better. And some complaints have some merit. So far this is the overall best version by far in my opinion. Even if it makes me keep the taskbar at the bottom.

Start11 option...

1673338230404.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We can do that on Linux, top, L or R side, auto hide, whatever floats my boat. LOL
Yes which is where I first did it. You could do it in previous versions of Windows as well. I think in MacOS you can put it anywhere except the top though I might be wrong about that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

You can easily move the taskbar position to the top- I've done it with my 2 win11 machines. Easy.

Winareo Tweaker is also a truly excellent utility for customizing windows too.

The only thing that appears to be slightly affected was the rendering of a small section of the righthand (combined battery/sound/network) taskbar notifications pop out- something I rarely care about.

Last edited:
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ah, but a computer has a search function. You can throw all the files into one big draw and still find something easily based on file name and/or contents. There's no need to waste time putting files in 'their place'.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can easily move the taskbar position to the top- I've done it with my 2 win11 machines. Easy.

The only thing that appears to be slightly affected was the rendering of a small section of the righthand (combined battery/sound/network) taskbar notifications pop out- something I rarely care about.
How did you do it? There was a registry hack, but the most recent updates stopped that from working I've read. I haven't found anywhere in the GUI menus that let you move it to the top.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How did you do it? There was a registry hack, but the most recent updates stopped that from working I've read.

The registry 'hack' is working perfectly for me. Running Win11 21H2 on the machines. Maybe 22H2 has killed it- not sure. I'll do an update and find out I guess.

There's this:

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The registry 'hack' is working perfectly for me. Running Win11 21H2 on the machines. Maybe 22H2 has killed it- not sure. I'll do an update and find out I guess.
That is what I read, that 22H2 killed it. You can do the hack, and it works, until you restart your machine and it resets itself. I am on 22H2.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ah, but a computer has a search function. You can throw all the files into one big draw and still find something easily based on file name and/or contents. There's no need to waste time putting files in 'their place'.

When you've got as many files as I have, properly filing them in logical files, folders and subfolders is the way to go. It always has been and always will be. Search is only as useful as its last indexing file and when you have many different computers attached to each other and network attached storage, a proper file system is a must.

But if it works for you, more power to you. :)

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One quick inquiry on Windows 11, if someone here knows the solution, please.

Using the screen capture tool "snipping tool" (activated by "windows key"+"shift"+"s"), the captured screenshot is copied to clipboard and it is also saved in user's "screenshot" folder with the file name of "screenshot_date_time" such as "screenshot_20230110_133624".

I would like to know how to change this default file name sequence into just like "ss_20230110_133624"; it is OK for me to edit registry if needed.

Top Bottom