• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see how using a ferrule assures that the strands stay together, so the connection can be improved.
The ferrule adds resistance, so is likely that ferrules add more than they take away, or is it just so small that it does not matter?

- Rich

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crimping ferrules went well.
1714093423002.jpeg

Thanks to all for the advice.

- Rich

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The ferrule adds resistance, so is likely that ferrules add more than they take away, or is it just so small that it does not matter?

The copper is pressed so firmly inside the ferrules as to make an incredibly low resistance connection. It's better than soldering, lasts longer and is much stronger.

Just for fun, crimp on a ferrule to a loop of scrap wire and try to pull it apart...

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good! Are those the WBT ones?
Yes, those are WBT going into WBT. Yeah, probably not worth it.
Though, I expect stripping the wires and creating new connections after 8 years, isa good thing.

I also plan to redo the SpeakOns with ferrules in a week or so.

- Rich

Last edited:

poopy

Yes, those are WBT going into WBT. Yeah, probably not worth it.
Though, I expect stripping the wires and creating new connections after 8 years, isa good thing.

I also plan to redo the SpeakOns with ferrules in a week or so.

- Rich

I suppose even though total resistance has now dropped, say by 100mOhm, between amp and speaker terminal, I don't see how you're going to hear any difference...

However, the connection you have now is neat and can't be improved much I'd think. Which is the overall goal I figure of your operation.

Which WBT banana plugs are you referring to?
I like those ones:

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose even though total resistance has now dropped, say by 100mOhm, between amp and speaker terminal, I don't see how you're going to hear any difference...

However, the connection you have now is neat and can't be improved much I'd think. Which is the overall goal I figure of your operation.

Which WBT banana plugs are you referring to?
I like those ones:

Those are the ones.

- Rich

Top Bottom