• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

zzajust

If you want to save 30 bucks, sure.
Differences are:
ES9038 Q2M VS AK4493
ability to change digital filters
ability to change volume
ability to turn off
a remote that chages volume, filters, turning on/off
USB powered (d10s) vs external powered(e30)
D10s can output digital spdif signal
Appearance that matches L30.
E30 is slightly smaller in size.

Could you please give me a similar rundown like the one above but replacing d10s with dx3 pro v2 in comparison with E30/L30 combo instead? I can't decide on which setup to get. Both seem very good for what they offer

velasfloyd

@JohnYang1997 how it is the feeling of the volume knob? it is stepped like a digital one (I dont know if stepped its the right word to describe this discrete kind of rotational button)? or have the analog feeling like sp200 or nx4? Im thinking of this one, but the volume knob is a game changer for me.... the more solid and pleasure to rotate it, the better :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 how it is the feeling of the volume knob? it is stepped like a digital one (I dont know if stepped its the right word to describe this discrete kind of rotational button)? or have the analog feeling like sp200 or nx4? Im thinking of this one, but the volume knob is a game changer for me.... the more solid and pleasure to rotate it, the better :)
Analogue with adequate resistance. Pretty good in my book.

GeorgeWalk

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apos offers a free Topping TCR1 RCA Cable (a $39.99 value) if you buy E30+L30. I'm not affiliated, in fact I've never bought anything from them. I just go to their website to read specs of new products.
Yeah that combo is a must buy for USA.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have 2.5 foot gotham starquad cables. Im pretty confident about those.

Hai

Apos seems to have a nice discount for the E30+L30+RCA interconnects, not bad for a world-class SE setup.
I received this in my email from apos. Looks like you're also receiving the free rca cable if you're buying the l30 after having already bought the e30. And.. I just ordered it!
Apos audio l30.PNG

MadMan

I read through this thread long ago, didn't check the whole thing again but... @JohnYang1997 I assume all production units have the channel imbalance issue fixed ?

velasfloyd

@JohnYang1997

congrats for your work!

1- If I want to have the stack E30+L30, I would need to have a usb charger and the external charger of the L30 conected.... this seems to me like too much cables and dont look so ordered. Would you recommend an option to energize both in some better way? like for example for topping's 50 stack they created the power supply, so you only have to connect that one (an expensive solution anyway). Im not interested in "improve the sound", but in the practical and visual matter.
2.- why do you think desktop amps or dacs dont have the bass boost option? (like NX4 for example). it is really nice option to me at least.

thanks ;)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

congrats for your work!

1- If I want to have the stack E30+L30, I would need to have a usb charger and the external charger of the L30 conected.... this seems to me like too much cables and dont look so ordered. Would you recommend an option to energize both in some better way? like for example for topping's 50 stack they created the power supply, so you only have to connect that one (an expensive solution anyway). Im not interested in "improve the sound", but in the practical and visual matter.
2.- why do you think desktop amps or dacs dont have the bass boost option? (like NX4 for example). it is really nice option to me at least.

thanks ;)
You can power E30 off PC. For L30, it's the compromise that has to be made for pursuing performance and for the price. Putting everything under the desk or out of the way is quite practical.

In terms of bass boost. It's difficult to do cleanly and correctly. Then it will be affecting the performance by a lot even when the switch is off. Most people also prefer clean amplification. I recommend using eq in digital domain which is simpler, more versatile and cleaner.

CedarWind108

Really wish there was a ES9038Q2M version of the E30 to match the looks of the L30. Not a fan of the E30/AKM sound and the D10s looks so much worse than the E30. The new designs are really nice, but it would be nice to have a matching ESS alternative to the E30.

NDC

Really wish there was a ES9038Q2M version of the E30 to match the looks of the L30. Not a fan of the E30/AKM sound and the D10s looks so much worse than the E30. The new designs are really nice, but it would be nice to have a matching ESS alternative to the E30.

Not sure what you mean by AKM sound. It’s a transparent DAC so you shouldn’t hear a difference between it and the D10s.*

in blind tests

Sak

Really wish there was a ES9038Q2M version of the E30 to match the looks of the L30. Not a fan of the AKM
I agree.

D10s looks so much worse than the E30.
I have both devices. But I like the d10s better, with its large, jet numbers and body shape.
Everything is subjective. But when we have more choice, thats great :)

Top Bottom