• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wood acoustic diffusers have become a decorative item - loved the idea!

tuga

Major Contributor
Ikea?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/eilif-screen-freestanding-grey-white-s69387462/

eilif-screen-freestanding-grey-white__0922162_pe788055_s5.jpg

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MAB

Major Contributor
I missed that PDF and commented on what the post highlighted which was soundproofing.

What is on the PDF is certainly diffuser but why use a single dimension one? How about 1st and 2nd reflections from the ceiling? The cost of a 3D diffuser is not much higher in the grand scheme of their operation.
And that room really looks like it could use some actual diffusers...

tuga

Major Contributor
It’s an absorber
Only at very high frequencies. I see it more as a deflector which diffuses slightly. And more importantly you can put it away when you aren't listening. I haven't bought them yet.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Th
Building a diffuser with duplo has been done before. I've seen it been used in the studio of Wintergatan, designed by ID-Acoustics. You can see it in this video below at 11:30 mark.

Those diffusers made with Lego look cool.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only at very high frequencies. I see it more as a deflector which diffuses slightly. And more importantly you can put it away when you aren't listening. I haven't bought them yet.
You may see them as such but they are not.

A diffuser is made of reflective surfaces. This panel is absorbent. A couple inch thick upholstered panel is transparent to anything below voice frequencies. See the data sheet of a similar panel.

It is a very common mistake to confuse absorbers with diffusers. There are a wide range of absorbers on the market because they are used to insulate sound. Every commercial or multi-dwelling building use them. However, a diffuser is only used at auditoriums, studios and purpose build music rooms. They are a niche product.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
So... where can I get one of those tools to cut Styrofoam??

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So... where can I get one of those tools to cut Styrofoam??

Styrofoam is not a good material to build a diffuser. As I keep repeating, a diffuser is a reflector. Any type of foam is an absorber.

However, I they covered the foam surface once it’s shaped, with a thick material, maybe the result will be satisfactory.

MCH

Major Contributor
Styrofoam is not a good material to build a diffuser. As I keep repeating, a diffuser is a reflector. Any type of foam is an absorber.

However, I they covered the foam surface once it’s shaped, with a thick material, maybe the result will be satisfactory.

It was a joke, but now that you mention it, what are the desired characteristics of the material to use? Styrofoam in closed cell foam, wood is not an homogeneous material either, specially softwood. In post #19 you said the important is that the material is rigid, which styrofoam is.

Is there a description, in technical terms, of the properties the material must or must not have?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RPG Skyline panels, made with expanded polystyrene, are simply painted.

In their sales leaflet, after explaining diffusion properties of the panel, RPG state:

'The solid expanded polystyrene core of the Skyline® provides useful low frequency absorption'

It's on page 2 here: http://www.rpgeurope.com/downloads/download.html?id=25

Reactions: MCH

Alexium

Styrofoam seems an interesting choice to me as it can be reflective above a certain frequency and absorbing below that, isn't that true? First of all, it's pretty hard on its own, I would think it is already much more reflective at mid and high frequency than, say, foam rubber or rockwool. And it's closed cell, you don't even need to cover it.

In fact, I doubt the absorptive properties of styrofoam, not its reflective properties. Polystyrene is much more interesting still, and painting it to close the surface cells is exactly what I had in mind.

However, as stated a couple times already in this thread, intuition doesn't work in this field!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the RPG diffusers are made of this type of foam (styrofoam, EPS). Because of the low density I am not totally sure what they do with low frequencies, but painting / coating them would certainly make them more reflective to HF.

Plain EPS is a poor absorber because of low density and closed cell structure, but not sure whether it's a good reflector either.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In post #19 you said the important is that the material is rigid, which styrofoam is.

Is there a description, in technical terms, of the properties the material must or must not have?
The requirement is for the material to be reflective within the range it is designed to operate. Most rigid materials are reflective.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Styrofoam seems an interesting choice to me as it can be reflective above a certain frequency and absorbing below that, isn't that true? First of all, it's pretty hard on its own, I would think it is already much more reflective at mid and high frequency than, say, foam rubber or rockwool. And it's closed cell, you don't even need to cover it.
Foam rubber or rockwool are absorbers and have no place in a diffuser.

In fact, I doubt the absorptive properties of styrofoam, not its reflective properties. Polystyrene is much more interesting still, and painting it to close the surface cells is exactly what I had in mind.
Polystyrene is better than Styrofoam but nevertheless it is still more of an absorber than a reflector. Both are used for insulating sound not reflecting. If a plastic material must be used Melamine is an option.

However, as stated a couple times already in this thread, intuition doesn't work in this field!
Indeed. :cool:

Alexium

Melamine is an option
It's highly carcinogenic :( And it won't work as a reflector if sealed in a container.
I'm not advocating the use of foams or plastics, mind you, but wouldn't it be great if the same piece of treatment would absorb the bass frequencies and reflect everything else?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's highly carcinogenic :( And it won't work as a reflector if sealed in a container.
I'm not advocating the use of foams or plastics, mind you, but wouldn't it be great if the same piece of treatment would absorb the bass frequencies and reflect everything else?
This source says the risk is very low in resin form. You are not expected to eat it :)

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seeking practical rules of thumb...

Is it still generally advised to aim for live end - dead end?

I.e. Absorption at the speaker wall end of the room and diffusion at the listener end?
I don't know the answer to that, but that is how in my 10'x10' office is set up. I am listening nearfield and also sitting close to the wall. What I found is:
  • I prefer absorption on my front wall vs. nothing at all
  • I prefer nothing at all vs. absorption on my back wall (it absolutely killed the sound)
  • I prefer the GIK acoustic diffusor/absorber panels on my back wall vs. nothing at all
I have not tried using the GIK panels on my front wall at all, so I can't speak to that. Next time I have some time to monkey around I should try it out since I do have 2 more.

Top Bottom