• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True That!! The first steam engine were indeed external combustion engines (ECE? :)).
Didn't know about De Rivaz. Will research him.

Damn! I love ASR!

Peace.
I guess coal fired boilers {and those converted to natural gas) are external combustion. That's where a bunch of our electricity comes from. The more efficient gas turbines would be internal combustion.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I guess coal fired boilers {and those converted to natural gas) are external combustion. That's where a bunch of our electricity comes from. The more efficient gas turbines would be internal combustion.

Indeed, anything that heats a working fluid (including air) outside of the place it's confined is usually regarded as external combustion. Steam certainly. Even some piston engines (both steam and (Stirling cycle that use air as a working fluid are external combustion). A turbine is an interesting question, in that there are multiple stages,but generally the combustion takes place before the power turbine, not in it. So probably (dunno, anyone???) a turbine is a form of external combustion. There are enough variations on the various themes that I haven't considered the lines.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, anything that heats a working fluid (including air) outside of the place it's confined is usually regarded as external combustion. Steam certainly. Even some piston engines (both steam and (Stirling cycle that use air as a working fluid are external combustion). A turbine is an interesting question, in that there are multiple stages,but generally the combustion takes place before the power turbine, not in it. So probably (dunno, anyone???) a turbine is a form of external combustion. There are enough variations on the various themes that I haven't considered the lines.
Turbines are always described as continuous flow internal combustion engines as far as I've seen.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Turbines are always described as continuous flow internal combustion engines as far as I've seen.
That seems plausible, I guess it all depends on what "internal" means. :) There is no combustion in the compression or expansion parts, which is where I was going, unlike, say, regular piston engine in which the compression, combustion, and expansion all happen in the same space. I've seen the results of combustion taking place in the expansion (power turbine) part of a turbine, it's not really a great thing, but the "continuous flow" part certainly applies regardless.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CNC owns and operates a TV news network and new media services. They are regarded as an attempt by China to enhance its global communications, develop its influence abroad and counter foreign media.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
CNC owns and operates a TV news network and new media services. They are regarded as an attempt by China to enhance its global communications, develop its influence abroad and counter foreign media.
I thought that was CNN

kongwee

Major Contributor
You need facts and science to prove it is propaganda in this forum.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need facts and science to prove it is propaganda in this forum.
Er, no. I don't need to fact check propaganda to know that when it comes from a CCP mouthpiece, it's propaganda. Ain't nobody got time for that. RT, Al Jazeera, China Daily, or New China TV, it's all meant to control thoughts. So you do you. Or, more accurately, you do as you are told to.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Er, no. I don't need to fact check propaganda to know that when it comes from a CCP mouthpiece, it's propaganda. Ain't nobody got time for that. RT, Al Jazeera, China Daily, or New China TV, it's all meant to control thoughts. So you do you. Or, more accurately, you do as you are told to.
Nope, you need facts and science in ASR.:)

Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It is still a fact that people can hear a difference in cable, speaker and high sampling rate.

Actually, there is no evidence for that claim that supports anything beyond a few younger people and a bunch of sighted testing, or sometimes level-mismatched testing.
First, if one of two cables sounds different, at least one of them is bad.
Second, how do you even compare different sampling rates properly? Please do explain how you did that properly.

I'm also tired of the propaganda.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Actually, there is no evidence for that claim that supports anything beyond a few younger people and a bunch of sighted testing, or sometimes level-mismatched testing.
First, if one of two cables sounds different, at least one of them is bad.
Second, how do you even compare different sampling rates properly? Please do explain how you did that properly.

I'm also tired of the propaganda.
I am also tired when you people can't hear the difference while many people around you can hear. Can't level match cables at 0.01dB but people can tell you the differences. Even sample test that pull in ASR, people can correctly pick the sample rate. These are facts. No big deal that you can't hear. it doesn't cost me an arm to upsample my audio inference to 96kHz while playing youtube video. It is useless to go on about this subject in this tread.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am also tired when you people can't hear the difference while many people around you can hear. Can't level match cables at 0.01dB but people can tell you the differences. Even sample test that pull in ASR, people can correctly pick the sample rate. These are facts. No big deal that you can't hear. it doesn't cost me an arm to upsample my audio inference to 96kHz while playing youtube video. It is useless to go on about this subject in this tread.

This company makes scam cables. Well, we better test every cable they make, all 20 models, to make sure they're all scam cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom