• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2-Way speaker help

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
tw29rn with the 16 MW driver might work fine with my earlier posted crossover point:

crossover at 2275hz at 3.5 ohm and 4.26 ohm
That may work. I’m not a fan of the dimple domes though. If you real want wide frequency response, maybe stretch the budget for a beryllium dome?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the downside to the dimple?
Off-axis they are a bit less smooth than a normal dome.

See:

vs

Also note the lower distortion on the BN.

Overall though, they are both quite good.

312elements

@AdamFrandsen have you looked through this thread? @ppataki is fairly far down this rabbit hole (he’s got a few fantastic build threads with one way speakers).

It’s quite amazing what he’s accomplished with DSP and it might be something worth exploring.

His build is met with some resistance from the community (similar to what you’re currently experiencing). A lot of the points presented against his build are valid in a very narrow way of thinking. I think that if you intend to move forward, there’s some valuable info in that thread.

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning

312elements

Bro I dare you to look at the name of the website.
I was going to ask what kind of microphone you have, but this is the deathknell of every hopeless project here. I wish you luck. You are going to need it.

You need this book, not a whole forum to read it to you.
I was going to dare you to move on to another thread if you didn’t have anything valuable to contribute to the conversation but then I remembered that I’m not 12.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to dare you to move on to another thread if you didn’t have anything valuable to contribute to the conversation but then I remembered that I’m not 12.
He actually posted very valuable information by providing a link to one of the best speaker-building resources ever created... So there's that :rolleyes:

D!sco

Lmao I literally posted how to make a speaker from scratch, advised against crossing a 6.5" to an AMT, and attempting to get a fullrange to play to 8hz. It's pretty amazing that you think you know more than Vance Dickason's 7th edition of speaker building.

312elements

Lmao I literally posted how to make a speaker from scratch, advised against crossing a 6.5" to an AMT, and attempting to get a fullrange to play to 8hz. It's pretty amazing that you think you know more than Vance Dickason's 7th edition of speaker building.
Your response was uncivilized at best and now you're putting words in my mouth. I inferred nothing of the sort. Maybe try treating people with dignity and respect and you'll get some in return.

D!sco

There is no dignity in what's happening here. Expectations, goals, and methods are all misaligned. Why are you picking a fight? It's over.

D!sco

The caffeine has kicked in and I have remembered I can stop getting notifications by unwatching the thread and blocking the appropriate people. Goodbye. I do apologize for putting words in your mouth, that was a real misstep. I do feel like you missed the content for the formatting of my posts, dude.

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

No one ever tried making a full range play down to 8hz, and as earlier stated the AMT tweeter was added to my notes instead of the tw29rn, simply because I discovered SB made one and thought it might work well - the crossover point was chosen for the original tweeter, I just was too fast to post it on here and had forgotten my own process. However, as you see from the article I posted from the german loudspeaker building website, such a speaker with those exact units exists and seems to work well.

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

Bro I dare you to look at the name of the website.
I was going to ask what kind of microphone you have, but this is the deathknell of every hopeless project here. I wish you luck. You are going to need it.

You need this book, not a whole forum to read it to you.
UMIK-2, but as I have not decided on a build, I have yet to purchase any drivers or the DATS v3 or any other parts for the speakers yet. While I did not read that book, I have read the Linkwitz-website as well as several other online resources... Bro ‍♂️

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

Off-axis they are a bit less smooth than a normal dome.

See:

vs

Also note the lower distortion on the BN.

Overall though, they are both quite good.
I thought off-axis was the whole point of the dimple:

1. Shape and Wavefront Control: The dimple changes the shape of the tweeter’s diaphragm, affecting how it moves and how sound waves are produced. This alteration can lead to a more uniform wavefront as the sound leaves the tweeter, which helps in spreading the sound more evenly across different directions. This is particularly valuable in a listening environment where wide dispersion ensures that the sound quality remains consistent over a larger area.
2. Phase Coherence: The dimple can also aid in controlling the phase of sound waves emitted by the tweeter. By managing how these waves interact, it can reduce phase anomalies that typically lead to sound distortion or uneven sound fields. This results in a clearer and more coherent sound across a wider listening area.
3. Directivity Control: High frequencies are more directional than lower frequencies, which can lead to a narrow “sweet spot” for optimal listening. The altered geometry of a dimpled tweeter can help in expanding this sweet spot by modifying the directivity of these high frequencies.

While I see the differences with the beryllium tweeter, it is more than twice the price - does the improvement warrant the price increase for this build? To be honest the 2-way approach is already way more expensive than the full range, so not sure I am willing to put down that much extra. I see that the AMT is also way more expensive than my original pick, something I did not factor in or check, when I added it to my notes.

Troels Gravesen also measured the tw29rn: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBA-tweeters.htm

Last edited:
OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

@AdamFrandsen have you looked through this thread? @ppataki is fairly far down this rabbit hole (he’s got a few fantastic build threads with one way speakers).

It’s quite amazing what he’s accomplished with DSP and it might be something worth exploring.

His build is met with some resistance from the community (similar to what you’re currently experiencing). A lot of the points presented against his build are valid in a very narrow way of thinking. I think that if you intend to move forward, there’s some valuable info in that thread.
Right - and he seems very happy with what he is hearing :)

312elements

He’s got another one with sphere shaped single drivers but those are crossed over to subwoofers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I see the differences with the beryllium tweeter, it is more than twice the price
Like I said, ultimately, they are both good quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. If budget is a concern, then the non-Satori SB drivers still offer about 95% of the performance for about half price.
Well, people are happy with all kinds of stuff they build. Don't ignore the huge bias that comes with it. Having said that, these drivers can sound pretty good. I've built a speaker with the Markaudio Alpair-11MS. It's indeed quite nice, but it won't exactly replace a 2-way. It beams heavily, and while there is bass, it doesn't get very loud and runs out of stream quickly. Otherwise, though, it makes for a nice speaker.

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

Like I said, ultimately, they are both good quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. If budget is a concern, then the non-Satori SB drivers still offer about 95% of the performance for about half price.

Well, people are happy with all kinds of stuff they build. Don't ignore the huge bias that comes with it. Having said that, these drivers can sound pretty good. I've built a speaker with the Markaudio Alpair-11MS. It's indeed quite nice, but it won't exactly replace a 2-way. It beams heavily, and while there is bass, it doesn't get very loud and runs out of stream quickly. Otherwise, though, it makes for a nice speaker.
The MAOP 10 should be a step up from that 11MS driver, no? But, I hear you about the 2-way. I noticed this build on Troel’s website: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/MW19P-8.htm

Basically the same size cabinet and same woofer series and same tweeter, but he has gone and used the larger woofer mw19p-8, can you help me understand why he made that choice, seems that driver cannot go as low in that cabinet as the mw16p (4 ohm) would be able to…

ppataki

Major Contributor
Since I was mentioned I thought I would chime in :)
On this forum subjective things don't really matter (which is fine, I totally accept that - otherwise I would not be posting my projects here :) ) but let me just say that I have my subjective reasons for building only full-range driver-based systems in the last 4 years

Objectively, I would highly recommend using one or more subwoofer(s) to support any full-range driver of your choice - and that way you will have a 2-way system (though not a traditional one but technically still)

Without a subwoofer these drivers are OK in a desktop usage scenario (i.e. MLP at 60-80cm and no high SPL required). With adequate DSP you will still be blown away btw.

Top Bottom