• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

xxcholo

Hey!

I produce Soul/Pop, EDM, hiphop, Trap, lofi

I'm looking for a new pair of nearfield monitors that can get me pretty low (Would prefer not to use a sub)

I guess what's most important to me is translation
, preferably a speakers that handles mid's and mid-high's very well without being too excited or scooped

Budget: 2000-3000$ for a pair

Here are some monitors i looked at (Please share your thoughts about these, or any others that i havent mentioned)

Neumann KH 120 II (Dark?)
Dynaudio LYD-48
Focal Shape Twin
Genelec 8040
Barefoot Footprint 03 (self-noise levels?)
PMC Result 6 (excited highs?)

Any suggestions?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I guess what's most important to me is translation, preferably a speakers that handles mid's and mid-high's very well without being too excited or scooped
You can always EQ (as long as your monitors aren't "terrible"). ;)

Then you'll "learn your monitors" (in your room) over-time.

Keep a known-good reference recording to "keep your ears calibrated". Or multiple references for different genres.

N9R

Either Neumann or Genelec

They are very similar in the important specs

One thing that may influence your decision - the crossover and speaker management functions in the Neumann are digital, whereas in this model of Genelec they are analog

While this gives you extra possibilities in the Neumann (such as room correction EQ), there is also a tradeoff - the Neumann will add extra latency (2.6ms) whereas the Genelec is entirely latency-free

If you are sensitive to this extra latency during studio work you may prefer the Genelec (I use 8030C because of this, and use latency-free room correction EQ inside the DAW)

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either Neumann or Genelec

They are very similar in the important specs

One thing that may influence your decision - the crossover and speaker management functions in the Neumann are digital, whereas in this model of Genelec they are analog

While this gives you extra possibilities in the Neumann (such as room correction EQ), there is also a tradeoff - the Neumann will add extra latency (2.6ms) whereas the Genelec is entirely latency-free

If you are sensitive to this extra latency during studio work you may prefer the Genelec (I use 8030C because of this, and use latency-free room correction EQ inside the DAW)
Latency data is very useful if adding a subwoofer.

OP
X

xxcholo

Really...?
I got 3000$ to spare for a pair of monitors and Neumann KH 120 II is the best i can get?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really...?
I got 3000$ to spare for a pair of monitors and Neumann KH 120 II is the best i can get?
It doesn't matter if you had 30k to spare. Look at the measurements of KH120II, what else do you need for near field?

Maybe you think there is some magic, that cannot be measured, to be found when spending more? Not uncommon belief as such, but not that well supported here.

MarsianC#

I got 3000$ to spare
Acoustics excluded? Invest in proper room tuning. Check DSP possibilities build in (Neumann, Genelec) or in DAW/computer/external if need be (bass traps are huge).
If KH120 can handle your desired SPL, get them. Genelec Ones are nice, but too prizey.

OP
X

xxcholo

Acoustics excluded? Invest in proper room tuning. Check DSP possibilities build in (Neumann, Genelec) or in DAW/computer/external if need be (bass traps are huge).
If KH120 can handle your desired SPL, get them. Genelec Ones are nice, but too prizey.
Yeah, the new KH 120 II now has internal DSP (Old KH 120 did not without sub) so i could get their calibration tool aswell

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really...?
Hi

You could go one step up their line-up: KH150, slightly ($3500/pair) over your budget. By all measures and evaluation an excellent and capable speaker: ASR Review KH 150 Click Here

Or the too often forgotten JBL 705. Another good speaker ASR JBL 705p Review Click Here

Or the Genelec .. again slighly over $3000/pair

I believe, the 705 offer the best bang for the buck, the Neuman the best performance...

Peace.

OP
X

xxcholo

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH 150 and stretch the budget if necessary. Room EQ for modes and you should be fine.

mj30250

If you're not using a sub, I agree that stretching (or waiting for a sale if needed) for the KH 150s would be the direction I'd go given the genres of music you're producing. You might also be able to find a vendor to bundle MA 1 at a discounted price, which would provide you with excellent room correction.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I live in EU
The KH150 looks interesting, and they seem to go pretty low, could i do with the 150's without a sub you think?

I have a pair of KH 150s with a sub, a Dynaudio 18s, which I can bypass and how much the sub adds, really depends on the music/track. With music that has a lot of really low bass rumble, the sub makes a significant difference, however, there's a surprising amount of music that really doesn't have all that much going on below about ~40Hz.

Regardless of what I play, it doesn't sound bad without the sub, but with some tracks, it can add something, which you probably wouldn't know you're missing, until you add a sub, or by some massive speakers/monitors that can get down to ~20Hz without one. :)

Two tracks.

With this track, there's a significant difference between sub being on and off.

With this track, there is a difference, but it's pretty subtle.

Top Bottom