• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 69 21.0%

• Total voters

PGAMiami

I have a 4700H so I'm not sure but my only concern would be if you can keep the other amp channels still shut off?
Just for heat concerns I wouldn't want to see the unused amps still powered.
You are right the the power for 2 height channels would be minimal.
There is a setting for each pair of speakers that allows you to select just preamp or preamp and amp. But I don’t know if that’s turning off the amp for that pair or just disconnecting that amp from the preamp. Either way, class AB amps should not generate much heat or use much power at zero volume.

I would think all circuits are sharing much of the power supply components, but there is a dedicated regulated stage (or stages) for the lower current demand preamp, dsp and video section.

I think I’ve convinced myself it’s not worthwhile to get a separate amp for just the height channels. If anyone knows different, like whether the prepro measures worse if any of the amps are on, please advise.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There is a setting for each pair of speakers that allows you to select just preamp or preamp and amp. But I don’t know if that’s turning off the amp for that pair or just disconnecting that amp from the preamp.
Me either for sure but I'd use it anyway. ;)
You should be just fine and rather than spend any money for another amp, I'd highly suggest saving for
another set of speakers to go .4 in the Atmos arrangement. Specially for movies, having a front and rear
set greatly compliments overhead effects.
Good luck.
Sal

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a setting for each pair of speakers that allows you to select just preamp or preamp and amp. But I don’t know if that’s turning off the amp for that pair or just disconnecting that amp from the preamp. Either way, class AB amps should not generate much heat or use much power at zero volume.

I would think all circuits are sharing much of the power supply components, but there is a dedicated regulated stage (or stages) for the lower current demand preamp, dsp and video section.

I think I’ve convinced myself it’s not worthwhile to get a separate amp for just the height channels. If anyone knows different, like whether the prepro measures worse if any of the amps are on, please advise.
You are correct on all counts, save the money for better quality contents and enjoy the music.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It won't "turn off" any power amps, but will disconnect them from the pre outs. This has been confirmed, posted many times on forums, but unless D+M spell that out clearly on their website and/or owner's manuals, the same kind of questions will just keep on coming on forums, nothing we can do about it...
The preamp/processor section for the older models (that do have SM available on the internet) have it's own power supplies. It is reasonable to assume that would be the same for the new models such as the X4800H. Edit: For clarity, note that while there are "separate" power supplies, they do likely share the same main power transformer but on different secondary windings and voltages, obviously.
It depends on the "power" requirements of your height channels, if they don't exceed, or even come closed to the power amp's rating output, then you would be 100% correct.

The preamp/processor will measure just as good/same with some of the power amps remained "connected". As far as "turned on/off", again, that's been confirmed and posted many times in the past that the power amps are never "turned off" as such, they remained powered even in full preamp mode. That really is an energy conservation issue, in terms of audio performance, it should not be an issue. Put it this way, even without any preamp/"disconnect" mode, performance based on ASR measurements, should be just as good at output voltages up to 1.4 to 1.5 V. It is very unlikely for most AVR users to push their pre outs to anywhere close to 1.4 V, so it is something nice to have, and is desirable, but for real world use, it is mostly a moot point imo (based on measurements).

Last edited:

popej

Either way, class AB amps should not generate much heat or use much power at zero volume.
It could be about 5W per channel. Probably half of that, it is in 4 Ohm mode or eco auto with low volume.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
In my case, I didn't want to hook up a Windows PC to my AV system and try to select music on that, otherwise I could have just used Foobar. I wanted an appliance, so I built up a NUC, put the Roon ROCK OS on it (very highly specialized Linux OS), and use it as my endpoint for Roon. It can play any file type without file manipulation (unlike the Nvidia Shield I was using previously), including 5.1 music. If Plex and the Shield could have played my music without resampling it (poorly) and could have handled 5.1, I would have stuck with that for no additional cost.
VLC is on shield and plays everything except dsd.

Top Bottom