• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 69 21.0%

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Aha - the famous hover-amp :D

Good advice though :)

How do you power the fan -
Sorry for the tardy response, just caught your question.
In this case I use a Noctua NA-FC1 controller to keep it and other system
cooling fans running as slow and quiet as possible. It powered by a wall-wart
power supply. ;)

zexoni70

Aha - the famous hover-amp :D

Good advice though :)

How do you power the fan -
In the link below, you can also find my solution with the NOCTUA fan, which is powered by a Samsung USB phone charger. :)

CapMan

Major Contributor
Thanks for the detailed calcs - really appreciate this .

I think it’s likely these are quite conservative Based on my real world use.

Listening distance is under 3m, speakers are close to front wall so there will be some room gain. I would normally listen to music at 70-75dB at the MLP.

That said, Dirac will have added some mid bass boosts which could add some additional demand for power !

I think I might be a while without the Denon and have been missing the music so for shits and giggles I’ve hooked up a RPi4 with HiFiBerry Amp 2 HAT to my F206s. It’s flashed with Roopei to use as a Roon end point streaming over wifi. Only rated at 30W pc so I am being very cautious with volume, but at least the music is back. We live in a golden age where this is possible in such a small cheap device !

IMG_6717.jpeg

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I might be a while without the Denon and have been missing the music so for shits and giggles I’ve hooked up a RPi4 with HiFiBerry Amp 2 HAT to my F206s. It’s flashed with Roopei to use as a Roon end point streaming over wifi. Only rated at 30W pc so I am being very cautious with volume, but at least the music is back. We live in a golden age where this is possible in such a small cheap device !

View attachment 367312

I hear you, and have always wanted to have a backup device to my AVR/AVP in my 7.1.4 HT system. Finally, I recently acquired a low cost backup, and I have thoroughly enjoy my standby unit, that costs me about USD550, that's 1/5 of what I paid for my AVM70 that I purchased when it was on sale. The little backup unit is being used only occasionally in my stereo system, and I definitely hope it stays that way for at least 8 more years.

JuanjoS

Guys,

It is posible to automatically turn TV on when you turn your X4800H ? I do have HDMI CEC enabled on all devices and usually push Memory 1 on Remote to turn the AVR on my Media Server input (which also wakes) but my LG C3 stays off (I thas simplink activated).

BTW my TV and media server remotes do control AVR volume so I'm sure CEC is working.

Thanks

CapMan

Major Contributor
Guys,

It is posible to automatically turn TV on when you turn your X4800H ? I do have HDMI CEC enabled on all devices and usually push Memory 1 on Remote to turn the AVR on my Media Server input (which also wakes) but my LG C3 stays off (I thas simplink activated).

BTW my TV and media server remotes do control AVR volume so I'm sure CEC is working.

Thanks
Yes

Audibotti

Hi all, I've recently purchased the 4800h and occasionally when I turn it on the relay makes a louder springy sound (like a do-ing! sound instead of a click!). Is this normal? The sound is coming from the receiver. All other functions appear normal - the receiver plays the audio well etc. I understand that relay clicks are normal when turning on but its the fact that sometimes the louder clicky springy sound is made instead of the more quiet click sound is unusual to me.

Anyone else experience this?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi all, I've recently purchased the 4800h and occasionally when I turn it on the relay makes a louder springy sound (like a do-ing! sound instead of a click!). Is this normal?
I think what your hearing is the varying sounds of the amplifiers energizing the speakers.
Whether it's a difference in DC offset stabilization or what I have no idea.
I can say that every system I've owned in my 60 years of HiFi sounded a bit different at each instance of turn-on.
Is it normal, IMHO, yes I think so.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Hi all, I've recently purchased the 4800h and occasionally when I turn it on the relay makes a louder springy sound (like a do-ing! sound instead of a click!). Is this normal? The sound is coming from the receiver. All other functions appear normal - the receiver plays the audio well etc. I understand that relay clicks are normal when turning on but its the fact that sometimes the louder clicky springy sound is made instead of the more quiet click sound is unusual to me.

If it’s from the transformer side , yes mine does it sometimes. Mostly if I have turned off the amp and turn it on again quickly afterwards. For me this happens when I turn off the TV and CEC control turns off the amp, then I want to listen to some music with Roon and need to turn it immediately back on…

CapMan

Major Contributor
I think what your hearing is the varying sounds of the amplifiers energizing the speakers.
Whether it's a difference in DC offset stabilization or what I have no idea.
I can say that every system I've owned in my 60 years of HiFi sounded a bit different at each instance of turn-on.
Is it normal, IMHO, yes I think so.
I was at the local dealer last week and saw a new boxed Cinema 40 sitting end on, on the floor - transformer side next to the floor. I wish they’d store / stack the boxes as God intended -ie horizontally.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was at the local dealer last week and saw a new boxed Cinema 40 sitting end on, on the floor - transformer side next to the floor. I wish they’d store / stack the boxes as God intended -ie horizontally.
Sure, Even though the heavy side is down, it's still just begging for someone to bump it and have it slam down flat (horizontally), right side up or upside down. LOL
There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything. ;)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Probably you happened to hit one of those maximum power transformer inrush current. It could reach 12X, or higher, like over 100 A, for less than 0.1 second, and could occur if you turn it on when the incoming (from the outlet) voltage sine wave is at 0 V and the worst case could be if there are still remanence magnetic flux in the transformer core that just happened to be in the polarity that results in even higher inrush current. Such remanence flux could be significant enough to encourage such higher maximum that is enough to make that kind of "springy" sound, if the unit has been turned off not too long ago. Better designed power supply would have some sort of start up inrush current limiting, but I guess not mid range AVRs.

CapMan

Major Contributor
How ? I did read the whole manual and talks the other way around, turning AVR with TV
Sorry for confusion, I can turn on the TV and AVR when I play a Blu-Ray using CEC. When I turn on the AVR for music the TV stays off .

JuanjoS

Sorry for confusion, I can turn on the TV and AVR when I play a Blu-Ray using CEC. When I turn on the AVR for music the TV stays off .
Thanks,

I think it is that way for cases when one only wants to play music. It will be nice to be able to specificy to turn the TV in some cases you know will be outputing real video (BluRay, Media Server, etc).

Thanks,

I think it is that way for cases when one only wants to play music. It will be nice to be able to specificy to turn the TV in some cases you know will be outputing real video (BluRay, Media Server, etc).
It would be nice, but I've given up on it. Turn off TV, everything turns off., but all bets are off the other direction - no options to do what I want it to do.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good and it fits! I could probably squeeze in an S10 too, without the legs.

I just watched 3 episodes of Ragnarok on Netflix with the Denon at -55dB (driving the center and surrounds) and I checked things afterwards.I couldn't touch the Denon above the heat sink, it was that hot. The power amp was only warm to the touch.

How much can such an active cooling solution improve?
If the fans are controlled by temperature, the fans would probably run at the highest rpm in my case.
There was no audible problem, but the high temperature is alarming.
Should I report this to Denon or just get the AC Infinity? How do you know if you need an external amp for the center too?
Is it A1H, or X6800H you are referring to?

Volume -55 is unusual, did you mean 55? To avoid confusion, it is better to change it to the relative scale.

PGAMiami

I’m exploring upgrading from 5.0 to 5.0.2. I currently have enough separate amplifier channels for 5.0 and I’m running the 4800 as a prepro with the internal amplifiers off. Is it worthwhile to get a small amplifier for the height channels so I may leave the internal amps off? I’m thinking probably not as the power used to drive the two height channels should be minimal and this should not tax the power supply in a meaningful way.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’m exploring upgrading from 5.0 to 5.0.2. I currently have enough separate amplifier channels for 5.0 and I’m running the 4800 as a prepro with the internal amplifiers off. Is it worthwhile to get a small amplifier for the height channels so I may leave the internal amps off? I’m thinking probably not as the power used to drive the two height channels should be minimal and this should not tax the power supply in a meaningful way.
I have a 4700H so I'm not sure but my only concern would be if you can keep the other amp channels still shut off?
Just for heat concerns I wouldn't want to see the unused amps still powered.
You are right the the power for 2 height channels would be minimal.

Top Bottom