• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 76 19.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 289 75.3%

• Total voters

antho625

Forum Donor
Do you use the RME with the Nilai. I'm trying to figure out what DAC or preamp I need to place the jumpers in mid or low gain. I know the Benchmark puts out up to 12 V. I was thinking about the RME and Topping D70 Pro. I know the D70 can put out 5.2V. I'm using my NAD C399.

SebDFW

I just ordered DPDT On-Off-On switches for external gain adjustment. I only need one, but the one I wanted on Amazon only comes in a pack of 10 for $8.66, with free shipping.

On the switch, the "Off" position will be low gain, one "On" position will be medium gain, and the other "On" position will be high gain.
Got the following response from DeerCreekAudio.

Hi Seb,

We only offer pure Hyex engineered builds. As such, we do not offer an external gain switch, as that adjustment takes place in a very sensitive part of the input buffer board and it would have a negative effect on noise and distortion.

Golftee99

Do you use the RME with the Nilai. I'm trying to figure out what DAC or preamp I need to place the jumpers in mid or low gain. I know the Benchmark puts out up to 12 V. I was thinking about the RME and Topping D70 Pro. I know the D70 can put out 5.2V. I'm using my NAD C399.
Yes I am running it to a pair of Nilai stereo in low gain biamping my B&W 802 Nautilus with great results, replacing a Pass Labs X-250 for the last 15 years.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not having the ability to test either one in my system, prior to purchasing, makes detailed reviews a valuable source.
Not really. The reviews don't magically improve just because you can't test either one in your system.
I understand the value of objective testing and figures that come along with it, such as Amir’s reviews. However, in practical implementation (enjoying and listening to music), they don’t always paint the whole picture. This entire hobby is very subjective and much of that intricate data isn’t even audible. Last thing I want to do is become obsessed with numbers.
Exactly. The key word is "subjective" - we all have our own preferences, taste, perceptions and beliefs. Why would the preferences, taste, perceptions and beliefs of some other person be of any use in judging if something matches my own preferences, taste, perceptions and beliefs? Only through human psychology - we want to conform, we want to be part of something, so we easily adopt and believe the preferences, taste, perceptions and beliefs of people around us.
Even via crappy YouTube audio, I preferred the sound of the Nilai over Purifi, as per the review. I listened to the segments several times and to my ears, the Nilai had more body and soul (whatever that means, coloration, a bit of distortion etc…).
Great example of expectation bias.

So much of the science that applies to audio is psychology rather than physics.

Reddoc

Do you use the RME with the Nilai. I'm trying to figure out what DAC or preamp I need to place the jumpers in mid or low gain
I use the RME 2/4 Pro SE with the Nilai monos in mid-gain.
Sensational. As expected.

antho625

Forum Donor
I use the RME 2/4 Pro SE with the Nilai monos in mid-gain.
Sensational. As expected.
Do you use it as a pre or DAC alone? I was thinking of using whatever DAC I purchase as a preamp.

antho625

Forum Donor
I bought the Topping D70 Pro Saber. I got 45 days once I receive it to send it back. I plan on using it as a PRE for my Nilai Mono's. It puts out about the same voltage as the NAD. Anxious to see the if there is a noticeable sound difference since the D70 has the ESS9039 Pro DAC. I'm not anticipating keeping it, but you never know.

Reddoc

Do you use it as a pre or DAC alone? I was thinking of using whatever DAC I purchase as a preamp.
In one of my systems, it is used as pre- / DAC. The volume control on the RME is one of the things that makes it special, as it uses a relay setup to maintain very high SINAD throughout the entire volume range, not just at a sweet spot.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Topping D70 Pro Saber. I got 45 days once I receive it to send it back. I plan on using it as a PRE for my Nilai Mono's. It puts out about the same voltage as the NAD. Anxious to see the if there is a noticeable sound difference since the D70 has the ESS9039 Pro DAC. I'm not anticipating keeping it, but you never know.
Remember that the "about the same" might still be enough of a difference to make the louder one be perceived as "better" or "clearer".

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember that the "about the same" might still be enough of a difference to make the louder one be perceived as "better" or "clearer".
Only if the volume isn't adjusted subsequently.

I think in this context the voltage output from a DAC is mainly relevant to what maximum volume it can attain driving whatever gain the amp has.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if the volume isn't adjusted subsequently.
Indeed. I was trying to point out the importance of exact gain matching when comparing systems.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. I was trying to point out the importance of exact gain matching when comparing systems.
Sorry - you are correct. I skim read the post you were replying to and didn't notice the poster was intending to compare the two DACs.

OldManMatt

I've used a RME dac straight to the Nilai as well. The ADI-2 FS. It is a good pairing in my opinion. The PEQ tabs are a wonderful perk of the RME's..& of course the volume control. I have a minidsp DRC-22D but prefer the RME over Dirac...if I don't need more than the 5 (7) peq tabs of the RME. Some speakers I need the full functionality of Dirac.

I run the Nilai in low gain. I'm using a tube pre at the moment & still no issues with low gain..although I do think I'll switch it to medium next time I open it up to better match my sub.

My point was that I if one is considering a dac/preamp system the RME's seem a good pick for the Nilai or any Hypex for that matter. I bought my first RME from Sweetwater a few years ago(no affiliation) They usually offer 4 years no interest if you use their Card. Last time I looked they still had that deal. Pretty good option if on a budget.
Obviously there are many other Dac options that are just as transparent as the RME offerings.

antho625

Forum Donor
I've used a RME dac straight to the Nilai as well. The ADI-2 FS. It is a good pairing in my opinion. The PEQ tabs are a wonderful perk of the RME's..& of course the volume control. I have a minidsp DRC-22D but prefer the RME over Dirac...if I don't need more than the 5 (7) peq tabs of the RME. Some speakers I need the full functionality of Dirac.

I run the Nilai in low gain. I'm using a tube pre at the moment & still no issues with low gain..although I do think I'll switch it to medium next time I open it up to better match my sub.

My point was that I if one is considering a dac/preamp system the RME's seem a good pick for the Nilai or any Hypex for that matter. I bought my first RME from Sweetwater a few years ago(no affiliation) They usually offer 4 years no interest if you use their Card. Last time I looked they still had that deal. Pretty good option if on a budget.
Obviously there are many other Dac options that are just as transparent as the RME offerings.
Am I losing a lot of performance in high gain?

The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards the RME. I looked up some specs and it has plenty of voltage for optimal performance. I don't like the idea of having my mono's in high gain. Seems like everyone with the RME pairing are getting great results and are using low/medium gain. I really want the Eversolo DMP A8 as my setup, but it's the voltage aspect that hangs me up. Maybe these old ears are the problem too!

I appreciate such an awesome forum.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I losing a lot of performance in high gain?

Can you hear noise (hiss) at your listening position? If not then you are not losing any performance.

Even if you are, and you reduce the hiss by lowering the gain, you may just get it back again by increasing the voltage from the source. Gain has to come from somewhere - either the amp or the source chain. And wherever that voltage amplification comes from, you are amplifying noise with the signal.

antho625

Forum Donor
Can you hear noise (hiss) at your listening position? If not then you are not losing any performance.

Even if you are, and you reduce the hiss by lowering the gain, you may just get it back again by increasing the voltage from the source. Gain has to come from somewhere - either the amp or the source chain. And wherever that voltage amplification comes from, you are amplifying noise with the signal.
Thanks for your input. No hiss at all. Very quiet. I switched the gain to medium. Sounds good. I think engaging Dirac is what lowered the volume. When I switched off Dirac, sound is more expansive and louder. I think once I go all XLR everything will be optimal.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your input. No hiss at all. Very quiet. I switched the gain to medium. Sounds good. I think engaging Dirac is what lowered the volume. When I switched off Dirac, sound is more expansive and louder. I think once I go all XLR everything will be optimal.
Louder tends to sound more "expansive". What benefit do you think you will achieve with XLR?

OldManMatt

I get what you are saying by "optimal". When I hook-up straight from Dac with XLR to low gain Nilai I'm giving the amp the best connection I can. Most volts & lowest noise floor.

Unless there is a mismatch somewhere I doubt you will notice a difference as far as sound & the different gains on the Nilai. I started in High gain & perceived no difference compared to low. I just couldn't turn the volume up as high.

Throwing one of my single ended preamps into the mix hasn't caused me any issues either. I'm not a big fan of RCA to XLR adapters or cables but I don't have any other options at the moment. No ground noises or issues so all good. I've used the Gotham GAC-4/1 Starquad RCA to XLR cables as well as the Neutrik NA2MPMF adapters with good results. I've read that other people have had issues with the adapter's and Hypex amps...not me though. Still dead quiet at the tweeter. Couple of my tube pre's will add some noise at the tweeter but nothing I can hear once I stand up.

If Dirac is working correctly it should be pulling down frequencies & any boosting should be minimal. Turning Dirac off should boost the volume some.

antho625

Forum Donor
I get what you are saying by "optimal". When I hook-up straight from Dac with XLR to low gain Nilai I'm giving the amp the best connection I can. Most volts & lowest noise floor.

Unless there is a mismatch somewhere I doubt you will notice a difference as far as sound & the different gains on the Nilai. I started in High gain & perceived no difference compared to low. I just couldn't turn the volume up as high.

Throwing one of my single ended preamps into the mix hasn't caused me any issues either. I'm not a big fan of RCA to XLR adapters or cables but I don't have any other options at the moment. No ground noises or issues so all good. I've used the Gotham GAC-4/1 Starquad RCA to XLR cables as well as the Neutrik NA2MPMF adapters with good results. I've read that other people have had issues with the adapter's and Hypex amps...not me though. Still dead quiet at the tweeter. Couple of my tube pre's will add some noise at the tweeter but nothing I can hear once I stand up.

If Dirac is working correctly it should be pulling down frequencies & any boosting should be minimal. Turning Dirac off should boost the volume some.
Thanks for your input. At -20 db the sound is pretty loud. My usual listening levels are around -24 Db. Yes, with Dirac off there’s definitely a noticeable volume difference.

Top Bottom