• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 87 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 35 12.1%

• Total voters

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They contain compression drivers, not just laughable dome tweeters with a coin-size magnet in a WG like JBL 305s. I'd like to have these.
BUT is that really helping? Is the dome/waveguide much worse? For an actual compression driver + fairly large horn that 2k distortion spike seems underwhelming to say the least. Seems like the compression driver really can't drive that low...and/or the horn can't really go that low...and/or the woofer is having some crazy breakup? My interpretation of the graph is if I try to crank guitar heavy music, it will turn into a hash of distortion (???)
And why does the one woofer have such a huge dip in the power response...inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited:

AVKS

BUT is that really helping? Is the dome/waveguide much worse? For an actual compression driver + fairly large horn that 2k distortion spike seems underwhelming to say the least. My interpretation of the graph is if I try to crank guitar heavy music, it will turn into a hash of distortion (???)
I'm picky about my sound and have listened to tons of cranked metal on my 530s, 580s, and 590s... sounds great to me.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm picky about my sound and have listened to tons of cranked metal on my 530s, 580s, and 590s... sounds great to me.
That's cool...but then what do the distortion curves even mean? How can we distinguish speakers that can crank complex music (Monitor Audio Silver 300s) versus those that can't (the vast majority). Or is the 2k distortion peak narrow and it's more the 3-5k or something that is most significant?
- I'd be interested to see multitone testing on speakers although overloading tweeters would be a problem.

AVKS

That's cool...but then what do the distortion curves even mean? How can we distinguish speakers that can crank complex music (Monitor Audio Silver 300s) versus those that can't (the vast majority). Or is the 2k distortion peak narrow and it's more the 3-5k or something that is most significant?
- I'd be interested to see multitone testing on speakers although overloading tweeters would be a problem.
I'll defer to folks that know and care more about that stuff than I do, but I do know that the distortion is largely 2nd order and that is much less intrusive/audible to our ears, if not even pleasing in large amounts for some people.

While I think there is definite value in this type of review, I'm not a measurement purist and outside of a general tonality target don't worry too much beyond that. I listen to a speaker/headphones and if it sounds good for my use, I just enjoy it; in this case, the 580s and 590s hit the spot.

JoeHTGuy

I'll defer to folks that know and care more about that stuff than I do, but I do know that the distortion is largely 2nd order and that is much less intrusive/audible to our ears, if not even pleasing in large amounts for some people.

While I think there is definite value in this type of review, I'm not a measurement purist and outside of a general tonality target don't worry too much beyond that. I listen to a speaker/headphones and if it sounds good for my use, I just enjoy it; in this case, the 580s and 590s hit the spot.
I‘m in the same camp as you regarding not being a measurement purist. I had an experience about a year ago at a local brick and mortar store that kind of woke me up. They had a heritage Klipsch event I was invited to. I went into a room with Cornwall IVs and was mesmerized. There was no incredible holographic feeling or super detailed minutia. They just “came at you” and were flat out fun to listen to. I would have picked up a pair, but they were too large for my room that doubles as a home theater.

I started looking for something in that vein, and came upon the 590s on a recommendation from a friend who owns a high end a brick and mortar store in another state. I have several speakers, but the Studio 590s have been in play ever since. They fit the bill for fun listening.

A good analogy for me is golf. It was so enjoyable to play at first. Then… I started taking lessons…. Right elbow needs to stay tucked, club needs come back this certain way, etc. It got to the point that it was not about playing golf, but chasing a ”perfect” swing, where there is no agreed upon “best”. That’s the way it was for me before that Klipsch event. Not listening to music, but rather sounds within the music.

jxdking

I have owned the 590 for couple of years. The speakers came with plugs for optionally blocking the back ports. I wonder what they will do for the frequency response.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A good analogy for me is golf. It was so enjoyable to play at first. Then… I started taking lessons…
lol.. golf is not about " fun", it's a sport .. fun is shooting 68 when the rest of your group can't break 80

AVKS

lol.. golf is not about " fun", it's a sport .. fun is shooting 68 when the rest of your group can't break 80
No, that's external competition. Not everyone cares about/only derives enjoyment from being 'the best'.

And citing golf of all things as something that is only fun if be super competitive is just funny.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tw 2022

No, that's external competition. Not everyone cares about/only derives enjoyment from being 'the best'.

And citing golf of all things as something that is only fun if be super competitive is just funny.
That's certainly an opinion...and shooting 68 doesn't indicate "best" unless the person's narrative is delusional... It demonstrates competence... I'll repeat ..golf is not " fun"... Imagine playing nfl football as an out of shape office worker, would that be fun, or more accurately suicidal?... Folks that shoot 90 and think they're having fun, more power to em, at least they aren't getting fed to a linebacker.. It's still a delusion.... A profitable one for golf course management folks...

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening test and detailed measurements of the JBL Studio 590. I bought a pair last year on sale for US $800 but costs $999.95 each currently.
View attachment 306637
This is a hefty speaker that even comes with (vibration absorbing) outriggers. I should definitely file for hazard pay for lifting it 5 feet on the platform to measure it with Klippel NFS and then dragging it to our living room to listen to! :) I have taken off the grill which unfortunately has plastic tabs rather than being magnetic. I don't have a picture of the backside but there are two oversized ports there.

Here are the company specs:

General Specifications​

Type2-1/2-way dual-woofer, floorstanding
Finish Black

Audio Specifications​

Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
Crossover Frequencies1.5kHz
Sensitivity(2.83V@1m) 92dB
Frequency Response 35Hz-40kHz

Dimensions​

Width (in)12-11/16
Weight (lb) 69.5
Width (mm) 322
Depth (in) 16-1/4
Weight (kg)31.5
Depth (mm) 413
Height (mm) 1263
Height (in) 49-3/4

NOTE: our company, Madrona Digital, carries Harman products (parent of JBL) in custom system integration for residential and commercial applications. We don't have access to this consumer line but even if we did, it is not something we sell. But go ahead and read any level of bias you like in my subjective assessments.

JBL Studio 590 Tower Speaker Measurements
I measured the speaker as you see above without its grill. Acoustic center is the tweeter (although near-field id drops to just above the top woofer). Let's look at its anechoic frequency responses:
View attachment 306638
Depending how good your glasses are, you will walk away with a different view. Pull back, the response is more or less flat on axis is what we want. Zoom in though and the are a lot of fine variations which we tend to see in 2.5 way speakers as so many elements play together. Sensitivity depends on how you average the graph. I say it is closer to 90 dB than advertised 92 dB.

EDIT: it was pointed out that the there is a dummy panel you are supposed to put in place of the grill on the bottom of the tweeter waveguide. I had not done that so I remeasured the speaker again, this time with the full grill on:

View attachment 306844

As we see there is no difference. This is due to the tweeter not being covered in either case. And the dummy panel won't be doing much due to asymmetry only having a minor effect at very high frequencies.

Directivity is good resulting in rather predictable early reflections:
View attachment 306639

Combining the two, we see a pretty reasonable predicted in-room frequency response:
View attachment 306640

Here is our near-field driver and port measurements:
View attachment 306647

There is a lot going on here with a lot of resonances. In some sense designers did a good job of keeping this wilder party under control.

Looking at the horizontal axis, we again see good beam width and directivity control:
View attachment 306641
View attachment 306642

Vertically it is less optimal as many speakers are so stay at tweeter axis:
View attachment 306643

Dual drivers translates into very low bass distortion but alas, there are some issues up higher:
View attachment 306645

We can ignore the narrow resonance but I am worried about that distortion around 1 to 3 kHz. So I pulled up the distortion for individual drivers and it seems both tweeter and woofers are contributing to it:
View attachment 306646

Absolute distortion level is less informative but it shows similar good and bad news:
View attachment 306648

Impedance at 5 ohm while less than company spec, is still a full ohm higher and hence easier to drive than many speakers:
View attachment 306650

Waterfall shows a ton of resonances:
View attachment 306649
Finally here is the step response:
View attachment 306651

JBL Studio 590 Listening Tests
As soon as I started to play music, I had to step and take notice as if there was a voice saying, "hey bud, I am a big boy speaker!" I have talked in the past about how tower speakers project an image that is impressively large and not replicable with smaller bookshelf speakers. They do this by being tall but also with playing deep with authority. Such was the case with the 590 which handled my tracks with sub-bass (I call them speaker killers) with no discernable distortion. The level was a bit low but that was it.

Seeing the elevated treble in on-axis response I expected the speaker to be bit bright. Whether it was due to my ears being somewhat plugged due to allergies, existence of deep bass or both, I did not detect any sign of it being bright. It seemed balanced. It is more difficult for me to assess speakers in our living room but I thought the midrange and highs were unimpressive. Not bad. Or anything I could put my finger on. I just didn't enjoy all of my tracks as I do with very performant speakers. Again, keep all the caveats in mind as you read my subjective impressions.

I thought about applying EQ but I didn't know what and how much. Speaker wasn't bright so made no sense to shelve the highs down. And the variations in frequency response were so fine as to be silly to apply filters to it. If I were less lazy, I would create some narrow filters to counteract the resonances to see if it improves clarity.

Conclusions
There are two different speakers to analyze here: one that costs only $400 each as I bought it vs normal cost of $1,000. At $400, they are incredibly good. They are powerful, with even tonality and bass response that blows away any bookshelf speaker you would buy for $400. At $1000 each, I think there is some pause due to design issues here and there from many resonances to distortion. It would have been great to have perfect execution for $400 each but there is a reason the Revel line exists. Finer execution exists and naturally will cost you.

I like to remind you again of the joy of having a tower speaker. They take up no more space than a bookshelf and are far more stable than that on a stand. Meanwhile they are more sensitive and routinely player lower which is very important for music enjoyment.

I am going to put the JBL Studio 590 on my recommended list when on sale.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I had always wondered about those and their little brothers! The 580 is in my short list when they are on sale!

tw 2022

I had always wondered about those and their little brothers! The 580 is in my short list when they are on sale!
the 530's i have seem to "outperform" the specs, they aren't clarity kings or bass heavy or treble cannons , they simply sound pretty great tonally .... i can safely say i don't "need" an upgrade on that system ....

AVKS

I find the tonality/overall sound of the 580s to be even a bit better than the 590s, and they produce more low end than I expected given the specs. Buy with confidence if/when they reach a price you're good with.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got both on good sale prices, but I just use the 580s as surrounds.

Pulkass

I tried a Faital HF108R on the Studio 590 horn. It didn't go any lower, nor was it any smoother than with the stock driver. Don't know about distortion. A complicating issue is that there is a molded plastic sub-enclosure behind the compression driver (visible in the first photo of post #69) that doesn't have much spare room, so to fit something like the Faital you would need to remove that and craft a new sub-enclosure. It becomes a fairly involved project.

By adding some cross-bracing and dampening material to the cabinet (the side walls are large, fairly thin, and generally unsupported), I was able to lower the resonances coming out of the ports in the 200-700Hz range by about 6dB. Can't say it was audible, however.

Overall, though, the 590's were one of my favorite speakers I have ever owned, and a steal at the sale/used price.
Unfortunately not being produced anymore, and never imported in Europe.

melomane13

Unfortunately not being produced anymore, and never imported in Europe.
Not true. They were imported to Europe a few years ago. This is why i was able to buy them used in France.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're still being produced - site shows backorder with December shipping. 570s and 580s were replenished as well.

Who knows where it goes from here, but not gone quite yet.
I keep expecting this line to disappear and it keeps popping up.....

Top Bottom