• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8v2 (Second Wave) 3-Way Studio Monitor Review

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
The main reason it’s not that high is the dips on axis in the treble. I doubt it’s be that audible, especially near-field.

And no, can’t do a different score as there simply is no similar research for near-field.
Hi, I have just checked this file and it is really useful, thank you so much for sharing it (and also for creating it, if this is the case)

Has anyone compared IN-8v2 to Genelec 8030/KH120 or KEF LS50 Meta? I have a sub so LF extension is irrelevant for me. I wonder how do they compare in terms of midrange clarity/separation/soundstage. I want to get rid of my LS50M setup because of bulky amplifier and to reduce costs. I could go for used 8030C or KH120 for just a bit more than new pair of IN-8v2. I love coax design in a nearfield but I'm not sure if Kali has the quality to compete with the pricier boys.

Has anyone compared IN-8v2 to Genelec 8030/KH120 or KEF LS50 Meta? I have a sub so LF extension is irrelevant for me. I wonder how do they compare in terms of midrange clarity/separation/soundstage. I want to get rid of my LS50M setup because of bulky amplifier and to reduce costs. I could go for used 8030C or KH120 for just a bit more than new pair of IN-8v2. I love coax design in a nearfield but I'm not sure if Kali has the quality to compete with the pricier boys.
In theory, the Kali IN8 V2 should be close to the Genelec/Neumann in terms of midrange and tonality, but the tests have shown that it has worse tonality and Frequency response. Kali does have better bass but I recommend getting the Genelec 8030 and later a subwoofer.

@denzel200219 I have a subwoofer and tonality seems to be similar between these two, but measurements don't say anything about perceived detail, instrument separation etc. Maybe those things aren't important for producers because virtually few people mention that when discussing studio monitors, but I'm going to use them purely for listening.

@denzel200219 I have a subwoofer and tonality seems to be similar between these two, but measurements don't say anything about perceived detail, instrument separation etc. Maybe those things aren't important for producers because virtually few people mention that when discussing studio monitors, but I'm going to use them purely for listening.
Well If its purely for listening, you should be fine with the Kali's but for whatever its worth, Amirm appears to have prefered the Genelec in his listening tests

audio2920

@LeonidKogan For me, the FR of the IN8 is perfectly fine for listening. IN8 also works amazingly well in very nearfield, likely aided by the concentric mf/hf, as you pointed out. (Not used 8030 or kh120, but I have used other models in those lines.)

I would describe the IN8 as slightly "lower resolution" than the other two, and if you look at the distortion measurements, it is worse. I think this is the closest I can get to commenting on midrange clarity. It's good, but not as good. That said, in nearfield application the concentric design is likely a win, especially if there's desk (or other vertical) bounce to consider.

I've been unlucky with *all* my used speaker purchases. I've yet to buy a used studio monitor which isn't defective in some way, or damaged in transit. I think if you're buying professional products, there's a reasonable chance they've been used as a professional tool, and thus may have been used hard for long hours, maybe with high SPL accidents sometimes occurring due to the nature of the setups and the work. So, if I were in your shoes, I'd get a new IN8 over a used Genelec/Neumann. Not for sonic reasons, but because it always becomes a headache if I try to save money by buying used monitors.

To note though, the build quality and QC of the IN8 is inferior to those two, but in my experience (I've bought 8 of them) if they are bad, they seem likely to be dead on arrival and can easily be sent back for replacement. I've not had any failures of IN8s apart from those present on arrival.

(WS12 is another story; I've owned 4, and 2 have now died within a couple of years, a 3rd is suspect and sometimes whistles, needing a "reboot" to clear it...)

oozlum

Can you tell us what to look?
Look for some advices how to interpret meassurements data on ‘Audio Science Review’ youtube channel. Some of them are included in text reviews to watch before reading into reviews further. Hope this helps.