• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I at least will read an audio audition review on a DAC, just in case there are a lot of confident responses saying the same thing about it.
Yes, they and their advertisers count on that.
Well I might imagine wrong, but I assume if a DAC has tiny changes throughout a song's waveform, and the amplifier is amplifying this
The amplifier also "magnifies" the signal. So the minuscule distortion is still relatively the same.

You're flailing around for an explanation of a problem that has yet to be demonstrated by anyone. Imaginary problems are indeed the hardest ones to solve.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm going to assume you are posting in good faith, and answer in that vein.

An average ish performing DAC my have Sinad of around 100dB. That means any "tiny changes" (noise and distortion) are 100dB below the level of the music.

What is 100dB? It is 0.00001 - yes correct - that is 100,000 times smaller than the music. Lets visualise that with a visual comparison.

Take a penny. I think the British penny is similar in thickness to a USAnian one, or a Euro cent - slightly less than 2mm. Lets just call it 2mm for simplicity.

Make a stack of them 100,000 pennies tall. That stack is now 200m high. About the height of the One Court Square building in long island city (see image)

Now imagine you are at the base of that building looking up. You want to see the whole thing without moving your head or eyes. You walk away, looking back until you can. Stand and look at the building taking in the hight - no eye moving remember.

Now imagine the stack of pennies the same height. Looking at it from the same distance. Can you see the individual pennies?

Thinking of it more from an audio point of view. The quietest sound a human can hear is 0dB. The nose floor in a fairly quiet room is already 20 to 30dB. A typical listening level for music is about 75 to 80dB. 90dB is pretty loud. If you were listening at 100dB - maybe the level of a loud nightclub, you'd be putting your hearing at risk after about 15 minutes.

But even when listening at 100dB dangerous levels, the noise and distortion is 100dB lower - at 0dB - the quietest sound a human can hear. Can you even hear your room noise floor (30dB) when playing at 75dB? Of course not, so no chance at 100dB - and yet the noise/distortion from this DAC is still 30dB below (31 times smaller) the noise floor of the room. The music is now so loud you can't even hear someone shouting next to you - let alone the sound of a small feather landing on the back of a kitten.

So, no - the "tiny changes" introduced by the DAC are not audible even when amplified - first because even when amplified they are lower than we can hear, but also because the music is also amplified and would mask them even if they were 100 x bigger.

Oh - and this is just an average DAC. The best DACs measured here are more than 10x better than this average one. So the stack of pennies is now 2km (1 1/4 miles) + high. Or 10 of these buildings one on top of the other.

:)

View attachment 333198
By way of example, my $129.00 Topping E 30 DAC has a SINAD of 112. My headphone amp that also functions as a volume controller for the amp, a Topping L30, has an amazing SINAD of 121. I don't know what the SINAD of my Yamaha RX-V461 AVR is, but when I have my ear up against the tweeter of one my speakers I can't hear any hiss at all. I haven't measured the output level of the average volume of playback when I listen to music, nor the ambient noise of the house I live in, but I'm pretty sure the contribution of the refrigerator is at least 25 db and I'd rarely play music back at a volume level greater than 85db. I never hear any background noise if I'm listening via headphones or speakers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they and their advertisers count on that.

The amplifier also "magnifies" the signal. So the minuscule distortion is still relatively the same.

You're flailing around for an explanation of a problem that has yet to be demonstrated by anyone. Imaginary problems are indeed the hardest ones to solve.
Come on now. All you need for imaginary problems are imaginary solutions. Sometimes those are expensive, but so much the better (for someone).

BobbyTimmons

Because that's what audio companies always do. DACs were a solved issue a long time ago, now it's either bragging rights for specs or new, improved snake oil. But, as it is, if one knows what one is doing one can find a DAC that performs better than one can hear for less than $100. My Topping E 30, bought a few years ago, performs better than I can hear. And that has been upgraded to a second iteration, with marginally better specs. But people won't be able to hear the difference.
Any DAC you could have bought for the last three decades would perform better than you can hear. But not all of them would have the same warranty policy, user-interface, connections, average long-term reliability or visual appearance. Those are the things which consumers should be directed to.

Last edited:

aagstn

Any DAC you could have bought for the last three decades would perform better than you can hear. But not all of them would have the same warranty policy, user-interface, connections, average long-term reliability or visual appearance. Those are the things which consumers should be directed to.
I bought a Modi+ because I needed a USB interface for my PC. It sounds just like the DAC in everything else I use and that is a good thing.

AdrianusG

An average ish performing DAC my have Sinad of around 100dB. That means any "tiny changes" (noise and distortion) are 100dB below the level of the music.

What is 100dB? It is 0.00001 - yes correct - that is 100,000 times smaller than the music. Lets visualise that with a visual comparison.

Take a penny. I think the British penny is similar in thickness to a USAnian one, or a Euro cent - slightly less than 2mm. Lets just call it 2mm for simplicity.

Make a stack of them 100,000 pennies tall. That stack is now 200m high. About the height of the One Court Square building in long island city (see image)

Now imagine you are at the base of that building looking up. You want to see the whole thing without moving your head or eyes. You walk away, looking back until you can. Stand and look at the building taking in the hight - no eye moving remember.

Now imagine the stack of pennies the same height. Looking at it from the same distance. Can you see the individual pennies?

Thinking of it more from an audio point of view. The quietest sound a human can hear is 0dB. The nose floor in a fairly quiet room is already 20 to 30dB. A typical listening level for music is about 75 to 80dB. 90dB is pretty loud. If you were listening at 100dB - maybe the level of a loud nightclub, you'd be putting your hearing at risk after about 15 minutes.

But even when listening at 100dB dangerous levels, the noise and distortion is 100dB lower - at 0dB - the quietest sound a human can hear. Can you even hear your room noise floor (30dB) when playing at 75dB? Of course not, so no chance at 100dB - and yet the noise/distortion from this DAC is still 30dB below (31 times smaller) the noise floor of the room. The music is now so loud you can't even hear someone shouting next to you - let alone the sound of a small feather landing on the back of a kitten.

So, no - the "tiny changes" introduced by the DAC are not audible even when amplified - first because even when amplified they are lower than we can hear, but also because the music is also amplified and would mask them even if they were 100 x bigger.

Oh - and this is just an average DAC. The best DACs measured here are more than 10x better than this average one. So the stack of pennies is now 2km (1 1/4 miles) + high. Or 10 of these buildings one on top of the other.

View attachment 333198
It's exactly this kind of clarifications we need to make understand (at least to me!) that Digital is a done deal and has been for a long time if well implemented, instead of falling for all the snake oil, of yet another "high end" brand that re-invented the wheel with their 30.000 Dollar/Euro/Pound dac's, which blows away everything that came before of course, at least according to them.
Just select your new dac on price, specs as DSP, quantity of in and outputs, and perhaps (brand)reliability.
So thank you for this explanation:)

Victor Martell

View attachment 333198

Great analogy - good advice. I pick my dacs based on what I admit is desire and extra musical/technical factors. Most of the time is, I know that the DAC is not distinguishable from the $100 Modi, but I WANT IT! :D - that's it.

But it goes many ways, back and forth. If I had owned a Schiit Yggy, I wound't have care in the least that it had that famous glitch. Again it was, in you words, a bad (or a bad couple) of pennies in the whole stack, and not even the reachable (audible) part of it!

v

Great analogy - good advice. I pick my dacs based on what I admit is desire and extra musical/technical factors. Most of the time is, I know that the DAC is not distinguishable from the $100 Modi, but I WANT IT! :D - that's it.

But it goes many ways, back and forth. If I had owned a Schiit Yggy, I wound't have care in the least that it had that famous glitch. Again it was, in you words, a bad (or a bad couple) of pennies in the whole stack, and not even the reachable (audible) part of it!

v
Essentially this is how I made my decision as well - It took me a while to learn a lot of the basic stuff, but really, you buy a DAC for technical features once you hit a solid level of quality you are comfortable with. What I was using before my new DAC/AMP combo actually had audible driver induced distortion issues, however, which is where picking the right DAC for your technical feature desires come in.

I was using an ASUS Xonar U7 for a long while, but the horrific driver issues made me need to switch, and I did a ton of research, came here, went there, read armchair snake-oil research, read real research, and simply came to the conclusion I wanted something that "just works" at a high level of technical competency. Hence, the Topping DX1 was chosen due to bleeding edge technology, apparently exciting DAC and chip designs within) still trying to learn why), and high resolution DSD and DAC performance, and RCA support for the rear for speakers.

Once I learned that DACs shouldn't have a sound, the search became so, so, SO much easier, and after I learned that improvements after the entry-level audiophile DACs like the Topping DX1 and Schiit entry level stack are not exactly always audible, I went for features. Usable, real, features.

DonR

Major Contributor
I'm aware of that. I aim for trusted sources, I examine the language, cross examine with negative reviews to look for contradictions and use technical reviews to confirm or somewhat confirm what they are saying.

Minuscule distortion may appear in frequency domains the song is not filling (or filling very little of) and so amplified signal and this rogue distortion may stand out more, or the distortion may randomly bunch up together in the same frequency to be possibly audible. Distortion generally has a random nature, and may present itself more with longer listening time as the gear gets warmer.

If you can say all reasonably priced gear from non-dodgy AV brands presents no worries of audible distortion then fine. I'll move on.

I'm not flailing, I take interest in gear that attains perfection for those who care to listen for it. I don't just sit in a chair in some drunken stupor drowning in my sorrows listening to pink floyd you know, or stand in the kitchen with the music on, making mojitos.
Our ears will never be able to discern perfection, they are just too poor as listening devices and are too subjected to biases in the brain.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you can say all reasonably priced gear from non-dodgy AV brands presents no worries of audible distortion then fine. I'll move on.
I can't say EVERYTHING, but everything I'm aware of (if you include "ultra-expensive fashion audio" stuff as "dodgy").

DonR

Major Contributor
Maybe. A part of me wants to make sure I've got the best for my money though, even if the specs had gone beyond my hearing. There's a limit, of course, as in, not carpet bombing your bank account and feeding some greedy shark more money than necessary, yeah, I get that. It's just nice knowing my songs are being thoroughly driven to perfection. I also like to play a bit loud, so whether this tests gear more than usual, which I assume it would, then it also helps to pay a bit more on better gear for that reason. I also like to play a lot of bassy, complex, fast, hard house/club kind of tracks, whether this complexity is another degree of a test for gear, I'm not sure, I assume it could be.

Maybe with classical music, if you know how a French horn should sound, generally, you might be able to more strongly test audio gear on how it handles nuances correctly. Or not? I don't know. But yeah, I generally just want some good standards being met.
Loud and extended, clean bass is indeed difficult. Most of the chain in reproduction audio has, however, been a solved problem for many years and now is merely a price war so one can simply choose products that are "good enough" based on specs and usability, just like engineers choose test equipment. Speakers can only be judged in-room, IMO, since the interaction between speaker and room overwhelms everything else in the chain outside of the original recording. I do understand the itch some have for over-specified devices, however. One thing I always recommend is people get a hearing test and take some of the online tests for distortion and jitter to see where their limits are first before deciding what is relevant to their hearing.

One thing I always recommend is people get a hearing test and take some of the online tests for distortion and jitter to see where their limits are first before deciding what is relevant to their hearing.
Where can I find some good tests for this online?

vintologi

I could have wasted a lot of money before doing proper research but luckily i didn't have much money to waste before.

I do like having overkill performance but at least it will be objective and not based on some bullshit marketing.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Loud and extended, clean bass is indeed difficult. Most of the chain in reproduction audio has, however, been a solved problem for many years and now is merely a price war so one can simply choose products that are "good enough" based on specs and usability, just like engineers choose test equipment. Speakers can only be judged in-room, IMO, since the interaction between speaker and room overwhelms everything else in the chain outside of the original recording. I do understand the itch some have for over-specified devices, however. One thing I always recommend is people get a hearing test and take some of the online tests for distortion and jitter to see where their limits are first before deciding what is relevant to their hearing.
That is not necessarily true for very nearfield monitors that are designed with a narrow dispersion pattern. At one meter, such monitors have direct sound levels that are substantially directly from the monitors themselves. The room plays a much smaller role. For farfield and midfield speakers the issue is quite different than for very nearfield, narrow dispersion monitors..

DonR

Major Contributor
That is not necessarily true for very nearfield monitors that are designed with a narrow dispersion pattern. At one meter, such monitors have direct sound levels that are substantially directly from the monitors themselves. The room plays a much smaller role. For farfield and midfield speakers the issue is quite different than for very nearfield, narrow dispersion monitors..
Depending on speaker design and placement you may still have reflections from a rear wall but I agree that generally, near-field is a less complicated case.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depending on speaker design and placement you may still have reflections from a rear wall but I agree that generally, near-field is a less complicated case.
Correct, it also depends on room size/dimensions.

Top Bottom