• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minisdsp Questions

terfenol-D

I am replacing my NAD C658. I was going to replace it with an Anthem STR but passed on that. Instead I am going with a preamp with no room correction and would like to add a minidsp product for integration of sub and speakers. My questions are:
  • MiniDSP 2x4HD vs MiniDSP Flex. If I would like to use Dirac I pretty much have to go with the MiniDSP flex correct?
  • RCA vs Balanced. I'm not really sure which way to go here. My pre has both balanced and RCA outputs. My sub only has an RCA input. My preamp outputs 16v balanced. Will that fry the Minidsp Flex which indicates it has a maximum of 4v input? Similar question on going from minidsp balanced output to RCA input on my sub?
  • Can the MiniDSP flex be used in only room correction mode? IE - turn off the volume control so that volume can be controlled by the preamp I am going with? If not, would I just set the miniDSP to max volume and then hide the remote?
Thanks for any advice you offer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
MiniDSP 2x4HD vs MiniDSP Flex. If I would like to use Dirac I pretty much have to go with the MiniDSP flex correct?
No. The miniDSP DDRC-24 is a 2x4 HD with Dirac.

RCA vs Balanced. I'm not really sure which way to go here.
You can easily connect RCA out to balanced inputs.
With the right cable, the connection is even fully balanced just like native XLR out.

You cannot as easily connect balanced out to RCA in.
In many cases, performance will drop.

My preamp outputs 16v balanced. Will that fry the Minidsp Flex which indicates it has a maximum of 4v input?
I think so.

Lastly, do you listen to analog sources like vinyl or tape?

Because if all your sources are digital (CD, TV, Streaming, etc) then you'd be better off sending those digitally straight to the miniDSP and letting it convert them to analog.

OP
T

terfenol-D

No. The miniDSP DDRC-24 is a 2x4 HD with Dirac.

You can easily connect RCA out to balanced inputs.
With the right cable, the connection is even fully balanced just like native XLR out.

You cannot as easily connect balanced out to RCA in.
In many cases, performance will drop.
It would be balanced out to RCA in on the subwoofer. It looks like I should stick with the RCA version then. In either case - if I can use the DDRC-24 it would be RCA connections so I guess problem solved.

I think so.

Lastly, do you listen to analog sources like vinyl or tape?

Because if all your sources are digital (CD, TV, Streaming, etc) then you'd be better off sending those digitally straight to the miniDSP and letting it convert them to analog.

I thought of that but I do have a Vinyl collection. I thought about getting a puffin for digital out but part of the consideration on selecting the pre-amp was esthetic…my wife likes the blue meters!

Thank you for the response.

Top Bottom