• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 375 90.1%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I like most is the absence of even the faintest increase at 2-5Khz and the perfect in room response.
Yep,that does it.
It all works for my needs. I cut down the top end and the very bottom on the PEQ to save energy and this is right there with what I do anyway. I can only dream about what it sounds like. I have probably never heard anything this flat in my life. So I have no reference.
z Screenshot 2023-04-08 230137.png

unpluggged

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nice review Amir!
Can you detect some hum/hiss at 50m?
I did not but I have too much room noise for that kind of test. I will put my ear next to it and report back.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this speaker is breaking multiple records, but that 330 Hz resonance is like right in your face, hard not to see it when it's a big black dot on an otherwise white page.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this speaker is breaking multiple records, but that 330 Hz resonance is like right in your face, hard not to see it when it's a big black dot on an otherwise white page.
Would this show as a cabinet buzz or a driver buzz thing? What does this sort of thing do and what causes it?
index.php

Kwesi

Would this show as a cabinet buzz or a driver buzz thing? What does this sort of thing do and what causes it

Frequency is too low for a standing half wave between the boundary surfaces and too low for a pipe resonance of the port; my assumption is that's a resonance of the spider or tumbling resonance of the whole moving soft part unit. I measured a similar little conspicuousness with a woofer of similar size at similar frequency e.g. for my avatar speaker with a SB15NBAC30-4, so that seems typically:

attachment.php

(k2/D2 is measured too high due to issues of my measurement chain, so please ignore this)

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
also am i the only one who is appaled by Neumann rating this 20 dB (!!!!!) above what it can actually play? like please this is not necessary. It's a 5.25 inch woofer no one can do miracles.
What?

Max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz): 116.8 dB SPL

1689196454001.png

Edit: Half space loading adds 3dB. I assume the chart is anechoic.

375HP2482

Tonality was of course was right on the money and a joy to experience.
Usually amirm reviews speakers with flattish response as being "too bright" and tones down the high end.

What is different here? Is it nearfield/farfield, or what?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you, Amir! What a beautiful speaker!!! But since I need a new pair of speakers for the midfield (living room), I will wait for the KH 310 II and decide between them and the KH 150. Thanks to ASR we have the measurements now to make an educated choice... What a relief!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With companies like this and knowing already other measurements of it and other Neumann models I for fun risked voting "great" before scrolling down to the review and didn't need to edit my vote.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Music is typically at its loudest at 100Hz so we're looking at around 102dB of actual (hopefully) uncompressed output.

Amir mentioned that it's already clipping at 98 dB in his tests.
How do you define loudness? I compared but I am as confused with loudness as ever. WARNING: Loudness warning it might be too much. Turn it down to start.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What?

Max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz): 116.8 dB SPL

View attachment 298581

Edit: Half space loading adds 3dB. I assume the chart is anechoic.
Exactly, even the SPL the specs of Neumann are as precise as it can get:

Sine wave output with a THD < 0.5 % at 1 m in half space95 dB SPL (>97 Hz)
Max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)116.8 dB SPL
Max. SPL in full space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)110.8 dB SPL
Bass capability: Max. SPL in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 50 Hz and 100 Hz)105.1 dB SPL
Max. short term SPL with IEC-weighted noise (IEC 60268-5) at 1 m, in typical listening conditions108 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m in typical listening conditions (pair / full range)98 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (pair with subwoofer)104 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair full range)88 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair with subwoofer)87 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL fullrange113 dB SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL bass managed119 dB SPL

Would be very surprised if someone proves any of them incorrect.

Top Bottom