• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 209 67.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 9.3%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Schiit Vidar 2 stereo/mono class AB amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $799.
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier bridge review.jpg

Nice to see Schiit (finally) put a stand-by switch in the front. They usually have only a power button in the back.

Being a class AB amplifier with a linear power supply, the case is quite heavy and front loaded. The sharp fins make it hard to transport but that is a one time hassle.

Overall design manages to look unique and yet attractive.

There is a rather long delay before the unit goes form standby to on. Here is the back panel:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier bridge back panel review.jpg

It is a shame we don't have trigger input. Or balanced input for stereo (the one there is for bridged mode).

If you are not familiar with the measurements you are about to see, please watch this tutorial:

Schiit Vidar 2 Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier Measurement.png

Mains noise was variable depending on how I grounded it. You may be able to do a bit better (or worse) than I did. 2nd harmonic distortion dominates and that is what sets SINAD to 88 dB which is good bit above what Vidar did (right highlight):
Best class ab stereo amplifier review 2024.png

Best class ab stereo amplifier review zoomed 2024.png

Noise performance is significantly improved over the original Vidar:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier SNR Measurement.png

Frequency response is excellent as we would expect:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier frequency response Measurement.png

Channel separation is better than average:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier crosstalk Measurement.png

Multitone just clears the hurdle for 16-bit content:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier Mulititone Measurement.png

Distortion hardly increases at higher frequencies which means 19+20 KHz test also does well:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier 19 20 kHz intermodulation distortion Measurement.png

Company specs are easily met for power:

Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier Power into 4 ohm Measurement.png

Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier Power into max and peak 4 ohm Measurement.png

Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier Power into 8 ohm Measurement.png

Max power was achieved at 1.7 volts so I ran my frequency vs power sweeps at that. While many amplifiers go into protection at high frequencies, the Vidar 2 blew its AC fuse. I replaced it with the spare that it came with and set the limit lower as to avoid clipping:
Schiit Vidar Class AB Stereo Amplifier  power vs frequency vs distortion Measurement.png

Given this, I didn't try to pus the amp with my reactive load or testing it in mono. I trust their specs for the latter.

Conclusions
Nice to see Schiit improving on both usability and performance of the Vidar across the board. Company does a good job of staying competitive despite manufacturing products in US and giving 5 year warranty. I know many still find comfort in class AB designs and here you have a good example of it.

I am going to recommend the Schiit Vidar 2 amplifier.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this review
Interesting product, especially at the US price.

I see in Europe it sales for around 1000€, including VAT.
At that price, it has more competition, for sure.

The announced bridge power looks comfortable.
I wonder how low an impedance it will accept though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Blowing a fuse is a rather strange way to handle a constant high load. What's the type of this fuse? It should not blow with 700 W @ 115V as specified on the back side.
Fast blow miniature 5 amp. It handled clipping at 1 kHz but not 15 kHz.

Forgot to include the Specs:

IMG_0663.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

threni

Major Contributor
Thanks for this review
Interesting product, especially at the US price.

I see in Europe it sales for around 1000€, including VAT.
At that price, it has more competition, for sure.

The announced bridge power looks comfortable.
I wonder how low an impedance it will accept though.
Note that the 5 year warranty is limited to US sales only.

MCH

Major Contributor
From the website "Convenient standby mode keeps Vidar 2 powered up, but consumes only 1-2 watts—and it’s not automatic, you select when and if you want to use it."
Not very convenient in my book in 2024. Anyone knows power consumption at idle? I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Schiit Europe site says;

JSmith
My experience is with the UK company. When asked why they said it was too expensive to offer a 5 year warranty. Looks like it varies by product and country.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From the website "Convenient standby mode keeps Vidar 2 powered up, but consumes only 1-2 watts—and it’s not automatic, you select when and if you want to use it."
Not very convenient on my book in 2024. Anyone knows power consumption at idle? I couldn't find it.
When not in standby, it gets fairly warm.

Reactions: MCH

Haskil

Forum Donor
Schiit Europe site says;

JSmith

It is therefore a two-year guarantee in practice for Europe :

"This charge will be quoted to the customer by email. When legal 2 years warranty is expired, there can be a manufactory warranty applied for some products that will extend this 2 year warranty. When covered there will only be parts covered (not labor and shippingcost). If this extended Schiit USA manufactory warranty for parts is covered this will be mentioned at the product pages. Sonority cant be held reliable more than the legal warranty for 2 years (accessoires as mentioned earlier on this page), we only service the manufactory warranty as long we represent the brand as distributor and this warranty period can be less than the 5 years since the extended period is a decision from the Manufactory Schiit USA. In case Schiit USA does not have parts available after the 2 years legal period and a repair cant be done within the 5 years time period from date of purchase, Sonority cant be held reliable for this. Sonority only acts as an intermediary to carry out the repair for you and to request the parts from Schiit usa. Sonority is only liable for the legal 2 year warranty. it is always possible that parts are not available due to market conditions, even though the 5 years have not yet expired. The 5 year factory warranty is not offered by sonority as such that sonority can be held responsible for this. Labor and shipping in both ways are always paid by customer in this case. Warranty on repairs and labour is 1 month. Extra cost that are not included in parts and labour, can be charged on the customer. A business B2B customers is always responsible for shipping."

olieb

Not very convenient on my book in 2024. Anyone knows power consumption at idle? I couldn't find it.
For what does it use the 1-2W, if you still have to switch it on manually? What happened to the idea of just switching off?

Sokel

Master Contributor
For what does it use the 1-2W, if you still have to switch it on manually? What happened to the idea of just switching off?
Stand-by is not off,there could be a led indicating it for example,or sense circuit waiting for signal.etc.

Edit:yep,it uses a led:

Led.PNG