• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They are made for "modern audiences". Must be watered down to include everyone equally and not offend.
I wonder if the modern audience cares about Star Trek and whether the real and only market is those of us who got hooked by watching the original.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It must be hard to get writers that were as good as the ones in the original series. What else would explain these watered down stories?
History is always seen thru rose colored glasses. ;)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I wonder why it would not be on the Blu-ray?
That is surprising as the DTS-HD MA is rated 4.5/5 on bluray.com;
The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack is plenty big and potent. While an Atmos track would have been preferable, there is no mistaking that the 5.1 mix offer serious aggression and plenty of discrete effects and general surround usage. Several of the discrete effects are so realistic that they will literally turn heads, something that feels rare rather than commonplace today. General surround immersion is well done, too, especially in action and battle where phaser fire and other elements spill through the back that, along with intense music, drops the listener into the show's most intensive moments. Musical clarity is excellent; one could not ask for firmer, more satisfying yield. Little sounds around the ship are nicely positioned and perfectly clear, seamlessly dropping the listener into the bridge, sickbay, or other areas throughout the Enterprise. Dialogue is clear and center focused for the duration.
Maybe something is amiss?
The lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack, like the video quality is quite good. Dynamics are robust and defining without being strident or edgy. Dialog is rendered with appreciable tonal expression and excellent room penetration through the center channel speaker. The front soundstage is diffused with notable separation and articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the surround platform. At times, it opens up quite nicely to create an involving listening environment that contains a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however, it appropriately supports the source elements and provides a tight, punchy low end.

JSmith

Last edited:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Plenty of LF on the broadcast. I wonder why it would not be on the Blu-ray?

What else would explain these watered down stories?

They are made for "modern audiences". Must be watered down to include everyone equally and not offend.

Streaming through Paramount plus into 2 channel stereo system with 2 SVS 3000 Micro subs had plenty of low frequency effects for me as well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming through Paramount plus into 2 channel stereo system with 2 SVS 3000 Micro subs had plenty of low frequency effects for me as well.
I suppose I should add the detail that I was listening with Dolby Digital + in 5.1 surround. Plenty of low end here. I've calibrated things for music so not a case of an overblown low end like some video rigs.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to come here and talk about just seeing the series 1 episodes 1 & 2 and you all are already on season two! :)

After waiting weeks, I finally got the 4K release of the series 1 on UHD Blu-ray. With much excitement, started to play the first episode. Picture quality was great but what kind of soundtrack is this? There is almost no LFE. Surround channels just play the watered down fronts. It is like TV sound playing! Sad, really sad.

On the story, there was barely enough there to watch in episode 1. Tension started and instantly resolved in 15 minutes. Rest was backstory that didn't need to be that long. Episode 2 was worse. So bad that typing this I can't even remember what it was about! Oh wait, I just remembered. Some stupid thing about music being code for something -- yet again.

My wife says let's keep watching and it may grow on us. Let's hope so.

I think Discovery was so bad that we have lowered our bar so much for what can be a decent Star Trek series. It must be hard to get writers that were as good as the ones in the original series. What else would explain these watered down stories?

I had the same reaction to S1 E1 and 2. I watched S1E3 last night...which wasn't much better*. But people keep saying stick with it, so..

I never bothered with Discovery...or much of any Trek after TNG (which I watched fitfully when it was on, and often found it insufferably convinced of its own winsomeness)

* really hate the fake-looking facial prosthesis on the grumpy blind Andorian. Give me the blue-humans-with-antennas TOS Andorians any day

Zim

Forum Donor
Plenty of LF on the broadcast. I wonder why it would not be on the Blu-ray?

What else would explain these watered down stories?

I wouldn't say modern audiences are after watered down content that includes everyone equally and not offend.

I'd say modern audiences are after more emotional connection with the characters and more tie to connect with them, which unfortunately comes as with a tradeoff of less sci-fi-ness and glory at times, if you get what I mean. IMO. Don't know if I'd call myself "modern audience". But perhaps someone in between modern and traditional.

Personally, comparing older Star Trek and newer ones, I love the same characters more in newer Star Trek series than I do older ones.

Like Picard for example. When I watch him in TNG, I see him as a great character with traits of a great leader, with his flaws and all, putting him up on a pedestal to some degree. But when I watch him in Star Trek: Picard, I see him as a fellow person that I can empathise with, going through trials and tribulations in their own way. Again, IMO.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But people keep saying stick with it, so..
I would echo that. It’s very enjoyable and gets better.

Unlike ST: Picard or ST: Discovery, this has more of a feel of the classic TNG/Voyager/Enterprise era.

I included all three of those early era shows because they are very different in quality and tone and Strange New World’s is like that it.

If you like action movies, Michael Bay’s “The Rock” used to be considered frenetic and action paced. Today, it’s a pretty calm action movie with a strong emphasis on story and character.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't say modern audiences are after watered down content that includes everyone equally and not offend.

I'd say modern audiences are after more emotional connection with the characters and more tie to connect with them, which unfortunately comes as with a tradeoff of less sci-fi-ness and glory at times, if you get what I mean. IMO. Don't know if I'd call myself "modern audience". But perhaps someone in between modern and traditional.

Personally, comparing older Star Trek and newer ones, I love the same characters more in newer Star Trek series than I do older ones.

Like Picard for example. When I watch him in TNG, I see him as a great character with traits of a great leader, with his flaws and all, putting him up on a pedestal to some degree. But when I watch him in Star Trek: Picard, I see him as a fellow person that I can empathise with, going through trials and tribulations in their own way. Again, IMO.
I suppose it is a more feminine way. Males want to be the heroes in stories and females want the heroes in stories to be them. Or in other words males want to aspire to be the hero, and females want to connect with the hero being like them as they are. Maybe it is also the case heroes who are female are different than males who are heroes. Both can be heroes and should be admired. How they conduct themselves is different because males and females are different. Trying to make a male hero act like a female hero does not fit. Nor the other way around. It is not quite 100% one or the other, but a bunch of male characters that are connecting with their emotions when the Gorn attack is not going to make much sense.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i have not seen or care to watch a single digital pixel of this , um star trek ? its not the originals or movie originals so they can keep it , i hated those jar jar abrams star trek with a passion

38486609_10156412342760149_7538652801258225664_n.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
Do you buy the bluray though not to watch it, but just so you can put it in the cat litter? :cool:

JSmith
the other way around when i discovered i hated it

originals only

this is where the new star trek audience should be lead to
MV5BNTZlMWYwNDMtOTdiNC00MDA4LWEzYTctNjZmNjZiYWU3OTM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIyMzMxMTk@._V1_.jpg

as for this new show reminds me , being in the agony booth

2b8f9708-be86-486b-a347-df64a92a2f2c_thumb.jpg
9b4bb1e9-1fe6-4843-b823-3faad37fa5df_text.gif

i not watched a single or even trailer for any of it , i get the message of it all and can't say i like it , not for me , original unaltered versions only

Zim

Forum Donor
I suppose it is a more feminine way. Males want to be the heroes in stories and females want the heroes in stories to be them. Or in other words males want to aspire to be the hero, and females want to connect with the hero being like them as they are. Maybe it is also the case heroes who are female are different than males who are heroes. Both can be heroes and should be admired. How they conduct themselves is different because males and females are different. Trying to make a male hero act like a female hero does not fit. Nor the other way around. It is not quite 100% one or the other, but a bunch of male characters that are connecting with their emotions when the Gorn attack is not going to make much sense.
That's one way of putting it. But at the same time, is it not a very Star Trek thing to do to explore such view and potentially blur, subvert such differentiation? Much like how they put forward POCs and etc to the forefront of TV at a time when such people wouldn't get the limelight, putting forward characters that share both male and female, non-binary characteristics in a time in humanity where people like that in real life are more visible, to me, is very Star Trek.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
i not watched a single or even trailer for any of it , i get the message of it all and can't say i like it , not for me , original unaltered versions only

How boring, your loss.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom