• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Episode 3. Well that sucked.

What is the deal with avoiding Captain Pike. He and Una are the main characters. They do have a strong supporting cast (other than the horribly cast Uhura). Why avoid that with all these other stories? And the Captain/Lt Kirk. What a milquetoast casting choice that is. Plus the writing for this character is atrocious. Other than the name you would never know this was Captain Kirk of the TOS series. Why is the doctor such a pugilist? Oh and all this in the first few minutes of the episode.

Which of course becomes the lazy writer's trope of time travel. Done well that is excellent, done poorly it is lazy and utterly unsatisfying like in this episode. Of course this Craptain Kirk is not cool under fire or anything. He must rely on the strong female Noonien-Singh to make it thru so hapless is the poor Craptain. He is an bumbling idiot. Unable to handle the cold and a numbskull flummoxed by a 21st century revolving door. Oh how I hate writers given a golden setup who still eff it up. Craptain Kirk also is helpless to shoplift some period correct clothing if not for the quick thinking female he is blessed with. Yeah, this is full of spoilers. So what, I can only save you from watching the wretched episode. The dumbasses cannot even get hot dogs right. Who has a "good" hotdog without any condiments on it (and maybe a beer to wash it down).

Poor Jim would be helpless and hapless if not for the females taking care of him including the SJW female reporter after the stupid chase in the red Dodge. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

These dummies cannot even get tritium in 1980's watches right. TI made some in a digital watch. They show one of these current thick analog watches with supposedly tritium on the hands. While such were made, they did not look like what is shown. Low quality writing. Everything else is in place to be great, but the writing is sophomoric.

So Craptain Kirk eventually succumbs to the high estrogen levels and dies in this episode. Even Khan Noonien_Singh is reduced to a frightened little boy. Captain Pike and Una do have a sub-30 second appearance near the end. I'll stop here as the suckage is tremendous. I don't know if I can watch anymore. Maybe the last Star Trek episode.

I don't suppose the Roddenberry legacy has been defiled as much as the George Lucas Star War's franchise, but it isn't good for either one.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Episode 3. Well that sucked.

I don't suppose the Roddenberry legacy has been defiled as much as the George Lucas Star War's franchise, but it isn't good for either one.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I reckon that Star Trek's legacy has benefited (relative to Star Wars) by avoiding contact with The Mouse.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I went back to season one and tried to watch the fairy tale nebula one. Ugh, ugh. Had to stop. I know TOS sometimes got that silly, but it was more delightful when I was 9 years old for sure... I did like the season one final episode quite a lot with the riff on Balance of Terror - agree that the Kirk actor is somewhat "meh".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What is the deal with avoiding Captain Pike. He and Una are the main characters. They do have a strong supporting cast (other than the horribly cast Uhura). Why avoid that with all these other stories? And the Captain/Lt Kirk. What a milquetoast casting choice that is. Plus the writing for this character is atrocious. Other than the name you would never know this was Captain Kirk of the TOS series. Why is the doctor such a pugilist? Oh and all this in the first few minutes of the episode.
I'll give you this one D, E3 really sucked.
And what's the deal with everyone being involved in time travel?
Isn't visiting new worlds, etc enough?
BLAH

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is great about opinions is that there’s no objective standard. I actually thought S2 E3 was the best of the three! Hear me out…

What makes this work is that this is the equivalent of the multiverse. Unlike the episodes showing Spock completely out of character* or Last Jedi which showed Luke Skywalker completely out of character, this is set in the equivalent of a mirror-verse. They are supposed to show what goes horribly wrong in this timeline so they have to make James T Kirk be sufficiently different than canon. Spock doesn’t feel like Spock except for random bits and pieces. Unless they have a master plan to show how this Spock turns into future Spock, that is a bigger issue with this series.

The Gene Roddenberry vision of a *hope* carries across in this episode.

So many sci-fi stories that go back to present day Earth, Picard included, paint our world today as backward or absolutely barbaric and horrible. Here, it was far less judgmental. Kirk sees the good in this world, which is true to his character and his bravado shows.

The timelines get all screwed up but we also have to see the Kirk that we see grew up in a world free from Khan. So, when you say that Star Trek 2 doesn’t exist, then Star Trek 3 doesn’t exist.

So besides the lack of Kirk/Spock, you also have the lack of loss of Spock and the strengthening of that relationship. That is, if the timeline preserved the Federation but not Khan, you still wouldn’t get *our* Kirk.

The message that hope springs from even the worst situations is very Roddenberry-esque.

From the standpoint of the writers, they need wanted to develop La An as a character. For all the saved by La A complaints, it’s pretty easy to see why La A falls for this Kirk, but how do you get this Kirk to fall for La An? Only by doing that can you make the pain worse…

I actually went into this episode with really low expectations given the blurb, but I ended up pleasantly surprised. What it does is flesh out more of the side characters in a way that feels like TNG or DS9. S2E3 is vastly better than any single episode in S1 or S2 of Picard.

That said, I feel as if the first 3 episodes of S2 have done too little for the primary potential in the story of the Gorn, and they need to stop with some of these side quests for a while if they aren’t able to run multiple storylines.

Out of curiosity, for those that hated S2E3, did you like any of The Orville?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want a thoroughly well written, well conceived, well acted sci-fi show, try the Silo. One of the best things on TV. (Apple TV). Really makes an incredible contrast to how these bozos at SNW's are blowing it. The 10th episode and season finale for Silo is today. So if you've not seen it you can binge watch it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, for those that hated S2E3, did you like any of The Orville?
Some of it was fun, some way too preachy

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of it was fun, some way too preachy
I agree with that comment, and Orville apparently has a lot of writers from TNG who wrote many of the favorites.

I find Strange New Worlds as more fun and less preachy than Orville. Visual look is more modern than the throwback style or Orville though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Best explanation of timeline/time travel paradoxes I know of, courtesy of Kryten, from Red Dwarf. ;)

(My single favorite episode of the program, FWIW)

Zim

Forum Donor
I like S02E03. Not the best but it's nice to highlight a different character for once. That said, apparently S02E03 was designed/written to shift the timeline of the Eugenics war moving forward
EDIT: Correction. Star Trek Picard introduced the Eugenics War timeline shift, SNW S02E03 further expands on and solidifies it.

Last edited:

Hipocrates

I liked the first season, on this second one... what about more strange worlds and less drama?.

I can't wait to see the "The Critical Drinker" review, is going to be hilarious!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
S02E4 worst ever episode on any Star Trek serie.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, what are your top 3 standalone episodes for any era Star Trek (so no multi-part or season finale type episodes)

@Snarfie
@Sal1950

I didn’t love or hate S2E4, but thought it was a middle-of-the-road TNG-like story with 2023-level increased TV violence than what you would have gotten from TNG.

Seems like the romance was no less cheesy that the TNG with Picard and Crusher reading each others’ minds.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, what are your top 3 standalone episodes for any era Star Trek (so no multi-part or season finale type episodes)

@Snarfie
@Sal1950

I didn’t love or hate S2E4, but thought it was a middle-of-the-road TNG-like story with 2023-level increased TV violence than what you would have gotten from TNG.

Seems like the romance was no less cheesy that the TNG with Picard and Crusher reading each others’ minds.
TOS City on the edge of forever.
TOS Balance of Terror.
TNG Shaka, when the walls fell.

So many episodes left out that could easily make the cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom