• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Ultra Evolution

Neric

Oddball

Not saying that new center, or the existing Ultra you have, will not work very well. And have not even heard the new one.

The point is that this range does not really cater to HT people that would like to have LCR as equals (with big towers), which is by the book most appropriate setup. SVS is not the only one taking that approach. Arendal 1723 big towers also dwarf their 1723 center. Some companies like Perlisten, Revel, or even Sonus Faber do have better matching center for their big towers - albeit some of them don't come cheap.

Neric

Not saying that new center, or the existing Ultra you have, will not work very well. And have not even heard the new one.

The point is that this range does not really cater to HT people that would like to have LCR as equals (with big towers), which is by the book most appropriate setup. SVS is not the only one taking that approach. Arendal 1723 big towers also dwarf their 1723 center. Some companies like Perlisten, Revel, or even Sonus Faber do have better matching center for their big towers - albeit some of them don't come cheap.
True if you have the space, it's also much more a bigger deal for multi channel music which I have plenty of.

Some folks will never be ok with the compromise, for them the have the brands you list.

Oddball

I would be really interested in the new SVS Pinnacle provided they test well and I like the sound, which I think I would based on their previous models. And they are priced right. So yeah, a bit disappointed that they chose not to design another bigger center to better match Pinnacle towers. Would be good for the brand and at $7.5K for LCR they could potentially attract people that are now spending north and well north of $10k for the LCR combo.

If SVS is on the forum, pls do it for the fame and glory, and money will eventually come :)

SlothRock

Really great review here that’s getting me excited for more thorough testing of these ultra evolution speakers. There are very light measurements in this review as well that initially look very positive.

Most interesting is that, subjectively, the reviewer puts these speakers over his R11 Meta that was his previous favorite speaker. He admits the R11 measures slightly better but still found the SVS ultra evolution to be preferable. For the cost of these + the center coming in at < $5k compared to the R7/R11 + R6 Meta coming in at $7-8.5k, that would be some incredible performance and cost to value

SlothRock

@SlothRock sorry above YT video is not a good reference and should not place too much credence on this reviewer. Google is your friend :)
I know that subjective listening reviews aren’t what we go by here but there really is nothing else to go on for these speakers as of right now and, since there are at least some semblance of a measurement in the review, I thought it was fine to post here.

I’m very excited for a full measurement breakdown of these speakers and if there is one on google that I missed please post it!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I had hoped the Mods would have merged the separate threads...
Oh well.

James Larson reportedly has some UE Towers in for testing and review. I don't know the model as he didn't specify. Regardless, I would expect to see the review up sometime by Autumn, hopefully. Unless he gets scooped by somebody sending a pair to Erin or Amir.

Beyond that, I agree: YouTube reviewers (as a whole) aren't worth the waste of oxygen and ether they take up! ;)

Kishore

Forum Donor
I know that subjective listening reviews aren’t what we go by here but there really is nothing else to go on for these speakers as of right now and, since there are at least some semblance of a measurement in the review, I thought it was fine to post here.

I’m very excited for a full measurement breakdown of these speakers and if there is one on google that I missed please post it!
I understand your exuberance and eagerness- but in that process wanted educate you and others reading this to use extreme caution and not take feedback from YT reviewer you have posted, as a credible source in the future. You are free to disagree of course.

Penelinfi

I listen briefly for entertainment sometimes. His measurements seem to be more in room and smooth over some things

geox

Sounds like SVS is being compared R11 Meta, which sounds good but that dip at 1Khz :/ crossover ?

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
”but that dip at 1Khz :/ crossover ?"
Could it be frequency cancellation due to the physical shape of the speaker?

rynberg

Forum Donor

More accurate to say that subjective listening reviews without real measurements "aren't what we go by here", but this particular YouTuber is a gross shill and to be avoided at all costs in my opinion.

Erin has a pair of the Pinnacles in to test when he is finished moving into his new house and has the Klippel set back up...I'm guessing that will be 3 weeks or so.

SlothRock

More accurate to say that subjective listening reviews without real measurements "aren't what we go by here", but this particular YouTuber is a gross shill and to be avoided at all costs in my opinion.

Erin has a pair of the Pinnacles in to test when he is finished moving into his new house and has the Klippel set back up...I'm guessing that will be 3 weeks or so.
Ahh ok I've never heard of this reviewer before so wasn't aware that he already had a bad reputation. Excited that Erin got Pinnacles in! Can't wait for legit measurements

Battlebeast

Ahh ok I've never heard of this reviewer before so wasn't aware that he already had a bad reputation. Excited that Erin got Pinnacles in! Can't wait for legit measurements
Nothing wrong with the way he "reviews" speakers. He has an opinion, he compares to other speakers etc...

He qualifies his reviews with, "in my room", "in my opinion" etc.... Nothing wrong with that at all.

PGansz

Forum Donor

Really great review here that’s getting me excited for more thorough testing of these ultra evolution speakers. There are very light measurements in this review as well that initially look very positive.

Most interesting is that, subjectively, the reviewer puts these speakers over his R11 Meta that was his previous favorite speaker. He admits the R11 measures slightly better but still found the SVS ultra evolution to be preferable. For the cost of these + the center coming in at < $5k compared to the R7/R11 + R6 Meta coming in at $7-8.5k, that would be some incredible performance and cost to value
I agree, this looks to be a serious value proposition. I'm excited for this model lineup.

I'm really wondering why people would prefer enormous center channels when the one offered in this lineup has two 6.5in drivers...seriously what are you talking about people? Put the center channel in a TV stand cabinet and look at your TV...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I find Robinson to be cheesy as hell, but I haven’t had much problems in his descriptions of loudspeakers from what I’ve seen. He seems to point out the pluses and minuses, and make reasonable comparisons. His descriptions of loudspeakers I’m familiar with matched quite well.

I think most ASR members are reasonable adults who can watch these videos with the appropriate caveats without being “Led down the garden path.”

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care about the angling, I'm interested in the implementation of the rear firing woofers on the towers. Would love if it allowed close placement to the front wall and could fill the front wall SBIR.

I'm also not convinced a waveguide is needed for high fidelity. For example, I see no advantage here in the waveguided directivity vs. flat baffle:
View attachment 342417
View attachment 342418
The Ascend speaker looks better here imo.

rynberg

Forum Donor
I find Robinson to be cheesy as hell, but I haven’t had much problems in his descriptions of loudspeakers from what I’ve seen. He seems to point out the pluses and minuses, and make reasonable comparisons. His descriptions of loudspeakers I’m familiar with matched quite well.

I think most ASR members are reasonable adults who can watch these videos with the appropriate caveats without being “Led down the garden path.”
He shills constantly and repeatedly says inaccurate statements about particular loudspeakers, not to mention inaccurately attacking measurements. He has a massive following, so plenty of people fall for his schtick thinking they are getting useful information. If you find it entertaining to watch a shill who caters to the subjectivist crowd, knock yourself out. Given that the poster I replied to thought that Mr Robinson is a straight shooter, I'm fine with having expressed my opinion.

Top Bottom