• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Ultra Evolution

Oddball

I agree, this looks to be a serious value proposition. I'm excited for this model lineup.

I'm really wondering why people would prefer enormous center channels when the one offered in this lineup has two 6.5in drivers...seriously what are you talking about people? Put the center channel in a TV stand cabinet and look at your TV...
Because they generally perform better and are better match to big towers? Also, putting it "on" something is much better than putting it "in" a TV stand.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Setting aside the whole distance from the wall thing, I like what they are doing squeezing more woofers, and so more Sd, into those cabinets. What I'm wondering is, are those woofers wired in phase or out of phase? From their literature it would seem they are out of phase, and I assume most "force-coupled" designs are done this way? Other examples would be the KEF Blades and a whole bunch of others. Just wondering if the application is really that simple, like could I just slap two 18" woofers in a box and get ~2400 cm2 of radiating area per tower.

From their website:
"Dual opposing active woofers on the top and bottom of the cabinet render effortless low frequency response while addressing room modes with deep, authoritative bass is evenly spread throughout the listening area.

Mechanical energy from each front-firing woofer is equaled inside the cabinet by the rear-firing woofer eliminating mechanical coloration for pure, accurate low frequencies at any playback level."

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Really great review here that’s getting me excited for more thorough testing of these ultra evolution speakers. There are very light measurements in this review as well that initially look very positive.

Most interesting is that, subjectively, the reviewer puts these speakers over his R11 Meta that was his previous favorite speaker. He admits the R11 measures slightly better but still found the SVS ultra evolution to be preferable. For the cost of these + the center coming in at < $5k compared to the R7/R11 + R6 Meta coming in at $7-8.5k, that would be some incredible performance and cost to value

Agreed. Nice review! He's good at breaking down the features of gear, what it's like to live with gear and the speakers, and doing nice sonic comparisons between speakers - articulates it well.

(Though I still find his persona super cringey)

Penelinfi

Setting aside the whole distance from the wall thing, I like what they are doing squeezing more woofers, and so more Sd, into those cabinets. What I'm wondering is, are those woofers wired in phase or out of phase? From their literature it would seem they are out of phase, and I assume most "force-coupled" designs are done this way? Other examples would be the KEF Blades and a whole bunch of others. Just wondering if the application is really that simple, like could I just slap two 18" woofers in a box and get ~2400 cm2 of radiating area per tower.

From their website:
"Dual opposing active woofers on the top and bottom of the cabinet render effortless low frequency response while addressing room modes with deep, authoritative bass is evenly spread throughout the listening area.

Mechanical energy from each front-firing woofer is equaled inside the cabinet by the rear-firing woofer eliminating mechanical coloration for pure, accurate low frequencies at any playback level."
Woofers would have to be wired in phase with cones pointing outwards to be force cancelling. Force cancelling, not sound cancelling :)

Now if you had the magnets sticking outwards for the rear woofers, then you would have to wire them out of phase

Palmspar

I like dual opposed design it plays 3db louder with the same power.
Double also the power adds 6db its the best way to design speakers/subwoofers.

magic44ken

From a follow up QA video, Kristi mention that the dialogue clarity is not very good compare to other speakers for home theater setup.

Dogsled21

Ultra Evolution Pinnacle review? Looks like the parts could be good. The driver alignment marketing is interesting but probably just marketing - the 'time alignment' described really only works at a small point in space and generally for 1rst order acoustic rolloffs between the drivers, ala Dunlavy Audio. The Dunlavy's really could generate a credible acoustic squarewave, but one's head had to be in a vise...Would be very interested in detailed measurements of the radiation into a typical room.

staticV3

Master Contributor

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Merged here. Thanks to @staticV3 for you continued efforts to keep the forum in check. :cool:

Top Bottom