• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Laptop Thread

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Microsoft is forever trying to play catchup with AWS cloud computing. And when they do (never will), Vercel, et al, will already have elevated the level again to levels Microsoft will never achieve.
That's simply not true. Microsoft's cloud business is much bigger. Amazon's problem is it is in to many different businesses. Just look at the performance of Microsoft and Amazon stock over the last couple of years.

droid2000

Linux doesn't run Adobe Creative Cloud applications. The usual reply is use Gimp and Raw Therapy. For me that would be like giving up my car and taking the bus. Those applications run on Windows and few use them. The free alternative to Adobe for photography is the stuff manufacturers give away with their cameras.

What security is being given up with a Mac? As compared to what? What does Tor get you as compared to the typical VPN other than being free? Thankfully I'm not a political target.
Linux is good for servers. It's the best, actually. Virtually everything you see on the internet was served by a linux server.

Linux is bad for desktops. It can't run what you want. Don't even try.

But, it can provide the best security, way better than a mac or windows can achieve, if you spent the years since you were 11 studying Linux. Otherwise, a mac is your best option. Windows is never the best option unless the software you need to run only runs on windows, like many games.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry no go. If you want guaranteed privacy you use open source tools with very good encryptions disreging of platform (especially if you are a war reporter). If you really want to hack pick a BSD as a backbone and a less popular one with truly different code base so that 99% can't touch you (while you hit them) and that's Dragonfly. If you want to do any serious business nothing makes sense other than Linux.
You still don't have a choice if you are into gaming so everyone back to it's tool.
You are talking about an exceptional solution that isn't for everyone. Have fun getting Dragonfly or whatever to work on a new laptop. The fans will drive you nuts and battery life will drive you nuts. However, your point seems to be security by obscurity. Off the shelf malware hopefully will not work, or maybe it will?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Linux is good for servers. It's the best, actually. Virtually everything you see on the internet was served by a linux server.

But, it can provide the best security, way better than a mac or windows can achieve, if you spent the years since you were 11 studying Linux. Otherwise, a mac is your best option. Windows is never the best option unless the software you need to run only runs on windows, like many games.
I was 11 before the Civil War, or so it seems. Linux definitely rules the roost in the server sector. it's also the basis for Android. Mac's are BDS based. Mac's use to have security by obscurity but with over 20% of the desktop market (that includes laptops) and a user base which is believed to have higher incomes than Windows there are loads of attacks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh come on, not this crap.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Found the Bill Gates fan.

What part is crap?
Actually I'm a Linux user (and MacOS and Windows). Linux wasn't even around when I was 11. It is not bad for desktops and it does run the things I want. I don't even have to try.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88 as far as weight goes you need to include the power supply. I don't know exactly what you have. The fast gaming/creator machines with 145 watt TDP RTX 40X0 gpu's weigh a lot and don't fit in a 14" case because of cooling restraints. There are things I don't like about OS X. However, the total package suits me much better than any of the 3 Wintel laptops I have owned over the last 2 years the two I took back for reasons noted above and an LG Gram 17 I returned for a Gram 16 because the 17" machine was too big. I also exchange a Gram 16 because it had a defective trackpad out of the box. I will have more about these experiences tomorrow.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You are talking about an exceptional solution that isn't for everyone. Have fun getting Dragonfly or whatever to work on a new laptop. The fans will drive you nuts and battery life will drive you nuts. However, your point seems to be security by obscurity. Off the shelf malware hopefully will not work, or maybe it will?
If almost no one is using something it will be most secure and not because it's best written or patched most promptly but because no one bothered to dig or spend time developing attacks that will influence 0.001% of running machines. On the other hand there are open source projects especially developed for secure press and such use which God thankfully never whose much popular but serve its purpose. Of course you can always use multiple encryptions and strong ones that even three letters agency's won't decrypt for average lifetime. What you can't is disappear only use glitches (disappearing act).

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I'm a Linux user (and MacOS and Windows). Linux wasn't even around when I was 11. It is not bad for desktops and it does run the things I want. I don't even have to try.
When I was eleven nobody knew what a computer was. If any existed they were in labs.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Linux is only 3.83% of worldwide marketshare for Desktop OS only (excluding mobile or tablet):
StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-202212-202312 (1).png

Here's worldwide traffic, for all platforms (desktop, mobile and tablet):
StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-202212-202312.png

In Summary:
Linux is basically <1% of worldwide traffic.
OSX (aka MacOS) is only 6% marketshare of worldwide traffic.
Windows is 29% marketshare of worldwide traffic.

So if we were to do a survey, I would expect 1% of ASR users to use Linux as a daily driver.
Maybe slightly more since ASR users are more technically minded.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If almost no one is using something it will be most secure and not because it's best written or patched most promptly but because no one bothered to dig or spend time developing attacks that will influence 0.001% of running machines. On the other hand there are open source projects especially developed for secure press and such use which God thankfully never whose much popular but serve its purpose. Of course you can always use multiple encryptions and strong ones that even three letters agency's won't decrypt for average lifetime. What you can't is disappear only use glitches (disappearing act).
You have just defined security by obscurity. Remember, a 3 letter organization (2 letters for Israel) can always put a gun to your head as a last resort. However, if the spooks get wind that a bunch of journalists are using some oddball system they will manage to port existing malware to it.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sweetchaos I have used that resource for OS market share. The December drop in OS X and increase in Windows appears to be an aberration. Must be all the Mac users unplugged for Christmas. One might note the bulge in "unknown" matches a sudden dip in windows use. Maybe the data gathering could use some improvement.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Linux is only 3.83% of worldwide marketshare for Desktop OS only (excluding mobile or tablet):
View attachment 342707

Here's worldwide traffic, for all platforms (desktop, mobile and tablet):
View attachment 342708

In Summary:
Linux is basically <1% of worldwide traffic.
OSX (aka MacOS) is only 6% marketshare of worldwide traffic.
Windows is 29% marketshare of worldwide traffic.

So if we were to do a survey, I would expect 1% of ASR users to use Linux as a daily driver.
Maybe slightly more since ASR users are more technically minded.
Yeah but Linux serves over 90% of all users on all platforms and from router to pretty much everything else except traditional user desktop on PC it's dominant.

droid2000

Can't run Roon. Can't run Quboz. Can't control my RME DAC.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I'm with you, Ron Texas, seems pretty clear to me (he says, typing on his cool as a cucumber M1 Pro MB, never having heard the fans in two years), but you'll never convince the folks who just love beating their heads against a wall, cause they seem to have a thing for pain, I don't know. Arguing is a lost cause

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom