• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

Rate this Device:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 18.3%

• Total voters

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And that's why I gave you a way to figure it out...none of us can guess as to if your mains are grounded or ungrounded on both sides, etc. As to which use case or the t.racks config, that's all in the provided info too.

Your welcome and good luck.

Last edited:

grogi.giant

And that's why I gave you a way to figure it out...none of us can guess as to if your mains are grounded or ungrounded on both sides, etc. As to which use case or the t.racks config, that's all in the provided info too.

Thank you for generic guidance. It is indeed very helpful. I understood the challange on fundamental level, but your answer allowed me to formulate this very specific question, using right nomenclature. This is topic for this specific device, so it doesn't seem out of place...

Are the outputs of the T.racks DSP 4x4 Mini floating balanced or hard balanced?

dweeeeb2

Thank you for generic guidance. It is indeed very helpful. I understood the challange on fundamental level, but your answer allowed me to formulate this very specific question, using right nomenclature. This is topic for this specific device, so it doesn't seem out of place...

Are the outputs of the T.racks DSP 4x4 Mini floating balanced or hard balanced?
I asked the supplier if I could use their “1820 adapter” as ins and outs for single ended (non balanced) use and they replied that it should not be a problem

dweeeeb2

I’m a tad confused with clipping being caused by input voltage over 2v. Isn’t balanced 4v in general? Do I need to adjust gain if using balanced?

rvsixer

I asked the supplier if I could use their “1820 adapter” as ins and outs for single ended (non balanced) use and they replied that it should not be a problem
Just be aware such adapters tie ring to sleeve (appropriate for transformer or cross-coupled outputs only, according to Rane system interconnect guide).

bennybbbx

I’m a tad confused with clipping being caused by input voltage over 2v. Isn’t balanced 4v in general? Do I need to adjust gain if using balanced?

all soundcards i have give much more output as 4 volts when pot is full right. you need reduce always the level. for the scarlet focusrite 8i6o this is the max level the minidsp can do without clipping.
max output for tracks.JPG
it is easy to keep. the line point to the USB symbol. it is very very loud when you put the full output level of the minidsp to a active monitor. In studio settings level from DAC is always full to eq or DSP. after dsp is a monitor controller on which the volume is set and the active speakers or headphones are plugin in.

dweeeeb2

all soundcards i have give much more output as 4 volts when pot is full right. you need reduce always the level. for the scarlet focusrite 8i6o this is the max level the minidsp can do without clipping. View attachment 283524 it is easy to keep. the line point to the USB symbol. it is very very loud when you put the full output level of the minidsp to a active monitor. In studio settings level from DAC is always full to eq or DSP. after dsp is a monitor controller on which the volume is set and the active speakers or headphones are plugin in.
I’ll be running my DAC directly into this, I’d prefer to use balanced but it outputs at 4v. Maybe I’m not understanding this correctly, and please correct me if Im wrong but this review says clipping occurs above 2v. This is internal clipping and downstream levels would not effect this.
Im wondering if there’s a gain on the input level which needs to be adjusted for balanced? Its just strange since its a balanced unit.

rvsixer

As is usually the case, somewhere in a thread the problem and its solution have been discussed:

dweeeeb2

As is usually the case, somewhere in a thread the problem and its solution have been discussed:
I had read that, considered the answer and figured there could be another way. Your answer didn’t read like it was from experience with the device but a guess at how to deal with the issue. Sorry I asked on a forum for suggestions. Also sorry Im not an electrical engineer.

rvsixer

Sorry it was taken that way. All solutions point to attenuation from the source to the DSP 4x4 mini, either as bennybbx suggested manually via volume control, or an attenuator that dials it down for you (since you asked for a solution where you could 'feed it the full 4V'). I am not an electrical engineer either, but how I would approach it through studying the issue on the interwebs.

dweeeeb2

Sorry it was taken that way. All solutions point to attenuation from the source to the DSP 4x4 mini, either as bennybbx suggested manually via volume control, or an attenuator that dials it down for you (since you asked for a solution where you could 'feed it the full 4V'). I am not an electrical engineer either, but how I would approach it through studying the issue on the interwebs.
No problem, thank you

bennybbbx

I’ll be running my DAC directly into this, I’d prefer to use balanced but it outputs at 4v. Maybe I’m not understanding this correctly, and please correct me if Im wrong but this review says clipping occurs above 2v. This is internal clipping and downstream levels would not effect this.
Im wondering if there’s a gain on the input level which needs to be adjusted for balanced? Its just strange since its a balanced unit.

did your DAC have no volume knob ?. which DAC you have ? something about dynamic range. the t racks reach 80 db at least. now you can measure your room noise. i live in silent region and have only 34 db room noise db(a). this must be add. so when want hear the tracks noise over the room noise i need loudness of 80 db+34 db =114 db in theory. but can be sure when hear music at 114 db the ears can not detect noise easy and they get damage soon https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/what_noises_cause_hearing_loss.html

City traffic (inside the car)80–85You may feel very annoyed
Gas-powered lawnmowers and leaf blowers80-85Damage to hearing possible after 2 hours of exposure
Motorcycle95Damage to hearing possible after about 50 minutes of exposure
Approaching subway train, car horn at 16 feet (5 meters), and sporting events (such as hockey playoffs and football games)100Hearing loss possible after 15 minutes

The maximum volume level for personal listening devices; a very loud radio, stereo, or television; and loud entertainment venues (such as nightclubs, bars, and rock concerts)105–110Hearing loss possible in less than 5 minutes
Shouting or barking in the ear110Hearing loss possible in less than 2 minutes

Last edited:

dweeeeb2

did your DAC have no volume knob ?. which DAC you have ? something about dynamic range. the t racks reach 80 db at least. now you can measure your room noise. i live in silent region and have only 34 db room noise db(a). this must be add. so when want hear the tracks noise over the room noise i need loudness of 80 db+34 db =114 db in theory. but can be sure when hear music at 114 db the ears can not detect noise easy and they get damage soon https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/what_noises_cause_hearing_loss.html

City traffic (inside the car)80–85You may feel very annoyed
Gas-powered lawnmowers and leaf blowers80-85Damage to hearing possible after 2 hours of exposure
Motorcycle95Damage to hearing possible after about 50 minutes of exposure
Approaching subway train, car horn at 16 feet (5 meters), and sporting events (such as hockey playoffs and football games)100Hearing loss possible after 15 minutes

The maximum volume level for personal listening devices; a very loud radio, stereo, or television; and loud entertainment venues (such as nightclubs, bars, and rock concerts)105–110Hearing loss possible in less than 5 minutes
Shouting or barking in the ear110Hearing loss possible in less than 2 minutes
Hi, I think we might be on different pages. Im just trying to avoid clipping by supplying a standard voltage to a recommended product. At this stage Im not concerned about volume capability. Thanks for your feedback though.

bennybbbx

Hi, I think we might be on different pages. Im just trying to avoid clipping by supplying a standard voltage to a recommended product. At this stage Im not concerned about volume capability. Thanks for your feedback though.

in studio DAC there is no standard output voltage you can verify the fact with test of scarlet focusrite https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rlett-2i2-audio-interface-gen-3-review.10187/

there stand "Volume adjusted to 4 volt out". Mean there need set the level with output volume knob from the scarlet. see his screenshot which position it have. with the tracks you need volume reduce a little more.

I look for a test of a high price $14.000 DAC .It output in his test at maximum 6 volts RMS and 9 volts peak to peak. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-dave-review-dac-hp-amp.35974/ with this need reduce for all devices the output level

I notice that there are many hifi dacs that output at maximum volume correct 4 volt rms. but to be sure you need look which DAC you have

dweeeeb2

in studio DAC there is no standard output voltage you can verify the fact with test of scarlet focusrite https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rlett-2i2-audio-interface-gen-3-review.10187/

there stand "Volume adjusted to 4 volt out". Mean there need set the level with output volume knob from the scarlet. see his screenshot which position it have. with the tracks you need volume reduce a little more.

I look for a test of a high price $14.000 DAC .It output in his test at maximum 6 volts RMS and 9 volts peak to peak. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-dave-review-dac-hp-amp.35974/ with this need reduce for all devices the output level

I notice that there are many hifi dacs that output at maximum volume correct 4 volt rms. but to be sure you need look which DAC you have
The spec sheet for 2 of my 3 DACs state 4Vrms balanced out.
Thanks for your help. I’ve primarily bought this unit to learn, and to play with EQ. Not so much as a final component.

bennybbbx

The spec sheet for 2 of my 3 DACs state 4Vrms balanced out.
Thanks for your help. I’ve primarily bought this unit to learn, and to play with EQ. Not so much as a final component.

ok if you like do that. but keep in mind professional audio level is + 4db and this is not 4 volt rms. it is 1.228 volt rms . maybe the hifi world have a own standard introduce with the 4v. here you can see read the levels https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/understanding-signal-levels-audio-gear/ SO if you plug professional studio equipment after such a Hifi DAC which do 4 volt output you can get for high propability problems. the tracks is for a +4 db system also in symetrical good with its headroom but for 4 volt dac output not

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

A new variant of the powered version has recently become available for €429. It includes XLR IO and claims 250W into 8 Ohms, which suggests that it may be based upon a pair of TPA3255s.

Metalshock

Has anyone information about the used ClassD Chip in the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Amp? Or maybe an owner dares to look inside :D

jmar1334

I'm using this to eq my 2 subwoofers with MSO instead of the Minidsp 2x4 hd. I don't think I would have gotten much better results with the 2x4 hd.
10 22 23 LFE.jpg

Top Bottom