• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

thomann t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Review

Rate this Device:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 18.3%

• Total voters

jmar1334

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the maximum delay you can specify for particular input?
Just how many hundreds of meters distance of difference between different speakers to listening position is required for a 680ms offset - well it's 230 meters, so it's comforting to know you can offset your speakers from eachother by 230 meters, ha! :D

Roland68

Major Contributor
Just how many hundreds of meters distance of difference between different speakers to listening position is required for a 680ms offset - well it's 230 meters, so it's comforting to know you can offset your speakers from eachother by 230 meters, ha! :D
Certainly useful for open air applications...

jmar1334

I'm using this to eq my 2 subwoofers with MSO instead of the Minidsp 2x4 hd. I don't think I would have gotten much better results with the 2x4 hd.View attachment 320481
I've adjusted the low shelf filter because I had too much bass boost. I'm very satisfied with the performance of this device.
10 23 23 LFE.jpg

Last edited:

grogi.giant

MiniDSP 2x4 had only 7.2ms delay - which was way to small to facilitate testing of active-room-mode-cancellation which would require ~30ms delay.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP 2x4 had only 7.2ms delay - which was way to small to facilitate testing of active-room-mode-cancellation which would require ~30ms delay.
That's why you asked then.

svetdts

Hello, I just want to know if there are FIR filters, because Omnitronic SMARD-24RCA
has them.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I just want to know if there are FIR filters, because Omnitronic SMARD-24RCA
has them.
You’ll need this one:

The Omnitronic only has 256 taps. That is barely usable.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do I need so expensive just for a sub?
If you need FIR for a sub, you’ll need way more taps. The frequency resolution is only about 190 Hz. That is totally useless. Even the more expensive t.tracks will probably be inadequate.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Pro is the same device, just with XLR connections?
Or are there other differences?

GNK

Does anyone know if the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Pro is the same device, just with XLR connections?
Or are there other differences?
Asked Thomann about this.
"Pro version has theoretically little bit better parameters, like crosstalk >80dB(;I think he meant -80dB?) while standard version has >70dB. But the main difference is xlr connection. Software is exactly the same", he said.

He said that the reason of naming it PRO is because "XLR is more pro then jack"

Roland68

Major Contributor
Asked Thomann about this.
"Pro version has theoretically little bit better parameters, like crosstalk >80dB(;I think he meant -80dB?) while standard version has >70dB. But the main difference is xlr connection. Software is exactly the same", he said.

He said that the reason of naming it PRO is because "XLR is more pro then jack"
Thanks, I didn't even think to ask directly. Sometimes I'm a little... :facepalm:
It also has a few more buttons :)
Thanks for the tip, I didn't see that. The preset switching is worth its weight in gold in a work device.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference here is a 2X4HD measured using a MOTU M4 analog output -> 2X4HD -> MOTU M4 analog input using similar parameters to ASR (20-20K bandwidth, 2V input). Obviously the MOTU is nowhere near the quality of the AP in terms of analog output / input but from this measurement it is pretty clear that the limiting factor is the 2X4HD, not the MOTU.

THD+N (SINAD) is -88.5 dB so just a hair better than the Thomann. Important to note that both the Thomann and the 2X4HD are rather noisy so proper gain structure (not too high of amplifier gain) is important.

2X4HD ADC-DAC
View attachment 202116

Michael

I'm going to be using this mainly to "increase" the extension on my subwoofers so that Audyssey / Dirac doesn't keep 20Hz at -10dB because of the current aggressive roll-off of my subs (got four 12-inches, 20Hz shouldn't be an issue).

The Denon 3800H has quite the decent gain structure (mixture of Digital and Analog in the right place) and I never hear my speakers hissing so it's probably gonna be fine with subs for most people. I'm shocked to see the MiniDSP perform this badly, it did hiss like crazy when I had it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom