• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TIDAL is NOT Worth it! Listening Test

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Aaron Tippon - You Got To Stand For Something Or You'll Fall For Anything.
Now Daddy didn't like trouble, but if it came along
Everyone that knew him knew which side that he'd be on
He never was a hero, or this county's shinin' light
But you could always find him standing up
For what he thought was right
He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now we might have been better off or owned a bigger house
If Daddy had done more givin' in or a little more backing down
But we always had plenty just living his advice
Whatever you do today you'll have to sleep with tonight

He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now I know that things are different than they were in Daddy's days
But I still believe what makes a man really hasn't changed

Keith_W

Major Contributor
But don't create a negative movement against this service online. It is not right. Don't subscribe. That's OK. But trying to get others to not do it is unwise. It is shooting every audiophile's foot.

I agree, Amir. Finally we have easy availability of high quality downloads, and there are some people who are supposed to be audiophiles (and therefore presumably care about quality) ... trying to tear it down. I'm not with Tidal because their music is of no interest to me, but it is businesses like Tidal that we should be supporting. And NOT Spotify, Apple Music, or anything else that gives you nothing but a 320kbps MP3 that you get to keep for a short while. I want to own my music and keep it. This is why I still buy CD's.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I agree, Amir. Finally we have easy availability of high quality downloads, and there are some people who are supposed to be audiophiles (and therefore presumably care about quality) ... trying to tear it down. I'm not with Tidal because their music is of no interest to me, but it is businesses like Tidal that we should be supporting. And NOT Spotify, Apple Music, or anything else that gives you nothing but a 320kbps MP3 that you get to keep for a short while. I want to own my music and keep it. This is why I still buy CD's.
Technology moves so fast you can't even follow it. Blink your eye and everyone's going to be serving MQA with the CD quality access for $10 or even free. There's no need to kiss Tidal's ass and support the likes Jay Z just cause they were first to market. The audiophile community will get along just fine without Tidal.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Frantz, I stream music from nobody. No Vudu, no Spotify, no Rapsody, no Nothing. I don't even subscribe to TV (only CBC during the Rio Olympics).
This thread is about Tidal, CD quality music streaming; no oil, no gold, no global warming, no ... nothing else...but can be compared to other music streaming business, for comparisons fairness.

This is great, we are free to stream or not with Tidal; they don't rule the music world:
Alicia Keys, Arcade Fire (Win Butler and Regine Chassagne), Beyonce, Calvin Harris, Chris Martin, Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Jack White, Jason Aldean, J. Cole,
Kanye West, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Shawn “JAY Z” Carter and Usher.

* I have few CDs of Madonna, one of them in QSound. :)
Daft Punk's music in 'Tron: Legacy' (movie) I like, very.
Jack White, I have CDs too...of him and his sister.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor

What, who is tearing down Tidal here, which audiophile, where, how, who, tell me?
I'm like you, I buy CDs and I get to keep them. And only the ones I like.

* Youtube should be LP lossless resolution.

Last edited:

ceedee

During long drives in my car, I queue it up and enjoy track after track. Compared to Amazon Prime streaming, the quality is much better (over cellular network).
I use Apple Music because it's convenient and is already integrated into the devices I use. I can add albums/songs/playlists I like to my library and they exist alongside my iTunes library. I have a family plan which works out to be pretty cheap per person.

Since I can't hear the difference between 256k AAC and lossless, I see no reason to pay extra. I sure as hell will never hear the difference in the car.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm listening to locally moderated WSMR right now - broadcast...

07:53 PM Johann Sebastian Bach, Sheep May Safely Graze (From Cantata No. 208), Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, CBS/Sony, 65952
07:01 PM Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Requiem Mass K 626, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Robert Shaw, See Song Notes, Telarc, 80128
06:48 PM Alexander Glazunov, Suite for Strings Op 35, Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Kerry Stratton, Dorian, 80144
06:40 PM Riccardo Drigo, Le Corsaire: Pas de deux, English Concert Orchestra, Richard Bonynge, LondonDecca, 421818
06:17 PM Muzio Clementi, Piano Concerto in C, Sofia Chamber Orchestra, Vasil Kazandzhiev, Ivan Drenikov, piano, Fidelio, 1833
06:11 PM Antonin Dvorak, Slavonic Dance No. 2 in E minor Op. 46, Minnesota Orchestra, Eiji Oue, Referance, 92

Streaming, even from my own files, makes me anxious...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Amir said: "Don't create a negative movement against this service (Tidal) online. It is not right. Don't subscribe. That's OK.
But trying to get others to not do it is unwise. It is shooting every audiophile's foot."

Amir, who are you talking to?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir said: "Don't create a negative movement against this service (Tidal) online. It is not right. Don't subscribe. That's OK.
But trying to get others to not do it is unwise. It is shooting every audiophile's foot."

Amir, who are you talking to?
I am speaking to you Bob. I read a post from you on WBF that said to not subscribe to Tidal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who has control of Prince's share of Tidal now?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Who has control of Prince's share of Tidal now?

1. On April 26, 2016, counsel for the sister of Prince Rogers Nelson, Ms. Tyka Nelson, filed a Petition for Formal Appointment of Special Administrator.

2. The Court approved the appointment on an emergency basis on April 27, 2016. The Court conducted a hearing on the Petition on May 2, 2016 and, after hearing no objection, the Court re-affirmed the appointment of Bremer Trust as the Special Administrator of the Prince Rogers Nelson Estate.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.40473/title.jimmy-iovine-puts-appletidal-deal-talks-in-the-coffin
______

"All speculation and talks of Apple Music purchasing TIDAL have can come full-stop now. Although Beyonce’s Lemonade project helped the streaming service gain an extra 1.2 million subscribers, it doesn’t negate the fact that last year they lost nearly $30 million last year and have struggled to keep up with making payments on time.

The journey for TIDAL has been a rocky one as they’ve been accused of lying about subscription numbers, lawsuits being filed regarding the rollout of Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo and the “accidental” early release of Rihanna’s eighth studio album, Anti."

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/music-streaming-helps-music-industry/

Paid streaming services provide a big boost to the music industry
Almost half of the industry's revenue now comes from streaming.

mid-year report, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) reports that the industry saw its biggest growth in the first half of 2016 since the 1990s, up 8.1 percent year-over-year to $3.4 billion. In terms of music streaming as a whole, revenue from those services was up 57 percent during the first half of the year and it now makes up 47 percent of the music industry's total revenue. That's up from 32 percent of the total revenue this time last year.

Streaming was already the biggest money maker for the music industry in the US and now it's starting to make a real difference in offsetting the decline of album sales. First half revenue from streaming subscriptions hit $1 billion for the first time, showing 112 percent growth. Both physical and digital downloads continue to slide (down 17 percent and 14 percent, respectively), so the streaming boon will need to continue to add customers to make up the difference.

RIAA chairman and CEO Cary Sherman took to Medium to explain that while the music industry saw some growth for the first time in more than a decade, the compensation rates from streaming services are still lower than they should be. "Despite the massive consumer demand for music, the damning reality remains that music is fundamentally undervalued," Sherman said. "Many services rake in billions of dollars for themselves on the backs of music's popularity but pay only relative pennies for artists and labels."

Sherman also called on Google to do a better job taking down unauthorized material that's posted to YouTube. The RIAA CEO said that with all or the things that have been achieved in Mountain View, surely the company can do a better job of policing unlicensed songs. Sherman noted that Congressional reform won't be the only answer to make up the revenue gap. He explained that cooperation between the industry and the companies running streaming services could go a long way to ensure everyone is fairly compensated. The music industry needs to make the most it can out of streaming as album sales continue their decline, so fair compensation will be a hot topic for the foreseeable future.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Streaming music services can make all the money in the world, and take over LPs and CDs and hi-res audio downloads.
It doesn't make it the audiophile music lover first choice. It's just a money machine for the kids with no direction home.
The cherry @ the top of the banana split is with the chocolate/caramel/fudge sauce. ...And the whipped cream underneath and atop the vanilla ice cream.
Brief, it's in the music soul. ...From LPs, from CD/SACDs, DVDs, Blu-rays...Audio, Video, and stereo/multichannel. ...For people with experience and life's real values.

:) My opinion of course.

My best guess: Tidal has less than twelve months life in it. Something better will come, and with better quality music, and owners.

By the way, you guys watched the Obama's speech this morning?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
as compared to those who are selling wooden boxes with some sand in it? or cables or ? Those you find benign or even laud at times ? Interesting perspective I'd say.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
as compared to those who are selling wooden boxes with some sand in it? or cables or ? Those you find benign or even laud at times ? Interesting perspective I'd say.

Those are not like streaming music from Tidal, they are for a niche market. Tidal's first goal was to reach mass appeal and then sell off for a huge profit.
But the system backfired @ them. And no wonder with some of their owners.

I don't mind to stick with the Tidal subject. I've read Amir's counterpoints, I've examined the situation, the business model, the content, the CD like quality, the music genres, the promos, the platform/business model, the people behind, their mentality and philosophy, their business characters, their talks against others when themselves are worst, their vaporized dreams, their illusions with the real world, their disillusions, their promotional dysfunctions, their selfishness, their greed, and their extremely limited talent and skills in conveying a solid message of value to our next future generations. They have huge egos some of them, major issues that need to get fixed, and they are blind to their own temperamental diseases.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
...streaming...

Gosh, I feel as bad as all those folks who didn't get aboard the Titanic must have felt while watching it steam in a westwardly direction over the horizon from Ireland toward ...

the people behind, their mentality and philosophy

You mean, like this, around July 30th...

6a0120a5580826970c01bb0924e106970d-800wi

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly those people make me cringe every time I read about them especially Kanye, Ray's spoiler was a shining example of the individuals behavior in question. I can understand why someone would not want to support their business or in my case their music...
Yet depending on who you are, Obnoxiousness can be perceived d as a quality.. So much so as to make of some Presidential Candidate...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ray, that's just a tiny fragment of a much larger picture, but yeah, I've read that one too not too long ago.
I won't share any link on this because we can all google around and see for ourselves if their business plan and operation fits our own set of values.
Without values, what are we? Zip, ghost ships sailing the dark seas on apocalypse last sunset.

Top Bottom