• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

DonR

Major Contributor
Jim Croce, not for me but for him as he died a week before his son's second birthday. I really wish he could have saved time in a bottle. Ditto Stan Rogers whose son was only 4 when he died.

AlfaNovember

I also never got to see Clarence White, but at least I got to hear his old guitar in the hands of another genius...
Now, are we talking Tony with the big-hole Martin D28? Or Marty on the B-Bender? Marty Stuart talks about the B-Bender starting at around 1:05, but of course the whole thing is a good listen: https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/broken-record/marty-stuart

I had tickets to a Marty Stuart small club gig the last time he came through town, but it was cancelled due to illness.. still a bit disappointed there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Saw this article today.

1714082055743.png

EERecordist

Miles Davis. He did make it to 65. I saw him twice, once from the first row. He was working on hip hop collaborations at the end. In the film Dingo, he plays a fictional character similar to himself. Zappa was another trailblazer with a lot of creativity left. Glen Gould.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lennon wasn't especially relevant after "Imagine," the treacle song. Let it Be has a couple great tracks.
David Bowie was long past his relevant years when he died. I liked Outside, but his genius burned out in the '70s.
Basically the same with Prince, Reed, Petty, Jackson, Elvis, Cash, and Cohen.
I think this is relevant for many artists, who although died tragically young, had by then done their best work, and were becoming passe, if not embarrassing.

One I do miss, although there's a great body of work available, is Kate Wolf. She could have done so much more. Truly tragic.

S

HoweSound

Gustav Mahler. Died in 1911 while writing his 10th symphony, age 50, was still innovating at that point, and better at orchestrating than ever. I sometimes imagine a Mahler symphony processing WWI, taking in ragtime music or some of the nascent proto-jazz, parodying Nazi marches, or him writing a movie soundtrack.
Really interesting choice. I became interested in his music after seeing the Ken Russell movie years ago. You are right, he would have taken his music to bold places in the 1920's.

mc.god

Among all the great artists missed by many there is a singer that I really miss and felt very sad when she prematurely died 9 year ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origa

Her voice truly touches my soul

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what cause of death has to do with anything and you wish Mozart was still alive 268 years old yet you say Johnny Cash was past his relevant years. Guess you missed his version of Hurt.
I don't have much patience for people who kill themselves through stupidity or suicide, which is a form of stupidity.

Mozart died young. I would love to see what he'd have done with a full life. Cash was only slightly relevant in the end because he sang somebody else's song with the added poignancy of being close to death. How many DECADES was Cash irrelevant until that cover?

Basic Channel

I don't have much patience for people who kill themselves through stupidity or suicide, which is a form of stupidity.

Surely running around with guns shouting about guns and getting shot with guns is a form of stupidity? Not as bad as a Brian May solo though tbf.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Many... many... composers who died too young for them to have been able to say everything. And for a composer to die too young can be to die at 70 or 80...

But who knows how far Bach could have gone even if we know that he left masterpieces of Western art? So obviously, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Lekeu, Lily Boulanger died scandalously too young from illnesses that today would be easily treated. But Debussy and Ravel died also too young, like Mahler...

For the performers, it's something else: we would like to see them "immobilized" for life in their art at its peak: and there Heifetz, Marian Anderson, Callas, Rubinstein, Haskil, Serkin, Schnabel, Perlemuter, the Bushes, Dupré, Novaes, Horowitz, Arrau, Toscanini, Karajan, Giulini, Kleiber, Neveu, Richter, Vogt, Freire, Cortot, Pollini and a few others are no longer there, unfortunately... But we have the next generation, the Luganskys, Laloum, Kholodenko, Biss, Kantorow, Mäkelä and so many other fabulous early music performers...
Dead composers, on the other hand, are irreplaceable and irreplaceable.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Probably poor taste, but any “musicians” who you wouldn’t mind if they weren’t with us any longer?
;)
Oh yes... That they don't die of course, but that they stop playing the piano so badly... that they play for themselves...

Top Bottom