• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Heesung

It is going to be fine. In the extreme you may need to ground its input as stated but I would not worry about it.
Thanks!
One question left though.
Using an RCA splitter adapter (attached below) for my AV receiver's center channel preout and using both channels of PA5 to bi-amp my center speaker (my center speaker has bi-wiring binding posts).... Is this gonna work?

스크린샷 2021-12-08 오전 9.39.19.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks!
One question left though.
Using an RCA splitter adapter (attached below) for my AV receiver's center channel preout and using both channels of PA5 to bi-amp my center speaker (my center speaker has bi-wiring binding posts).... Is this gonna work?

View attachment 170954
Sure. But note that per earlier posts, RCA outputs may not have enough voltage and/or at low enough distortion to drive the PA5.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Don't need high power resistors if you keep the input shorted.
I know but if you make an wrong connection or there is an current spike at turn of and turn on...
they are cheap and won't blow up even if you put power in them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It is going to be fine. In the extreme you may need to ground its input as stated but I would not worry about it.

Just out of interest, have you come across any issues with PFFB Class Ds when disconnecting speakers/loads at high powers?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was thinking of using 2 PA5s for my AV receiver preouts (front/center).
I wonder if it is OK if I use only 1 channel of PA5 for my center speaker.
Is PA5 (or any other stereo power amp) going to be fine if only one channel is used?
It will be fine with only one channel used.

envydd

Forum Donor
5 stages of PA5: denial (toy amp), anger (bad speaker posts, bad TRS), bargaining (should be less than 350), sadness (I don't need it in my current setup), acceptance (I ordered it).
Well said. I decided to get the pa5 for my smaller 250sqft room and drive my ls50. Currently I have a nuprime integrated driving it. And might get a Purifi for my larger room with my r3, replacing the current nc502mp.

Worth the experiment. If the PA3 doesn’t sound better than my current nc502mp then I will keep using the pa3/hypex combo for a while. If it’s significantly better to my ears, then I need to see if it Has enough power for my larger room (about 450sqft).

timing3435

Put the PA5 in with a Freya+ pre( Platnium tube set from ValvesNMore), Matrix Element X(Streaming Tidal) and Spatial X3 speakers. Sounds great. The detail is startling at times. Wide sound stage. Holographic in nature, reverberations of the piano are haunting. I do not have allot of experience with high-end amplifiers or others that have tested well like the AHB2. I want to keep listening. Some of the background detail makes me want to go through all the songs I love just to hear some new detail. The AMT on the X3's and PA5 make a great pair for my old ears. It might be too much for others. I like this setup better than anything that I have heard before. I am looking for a power amp so I will benchmark against this. For $350 it is truly remarkable.

TheWalkman

Those who have bought PA5 could ask Topping to disclose the Class D chip used in this amp.

After all, they are the owners of PA5 and they may well have the right to know from Topping what chip they used in it. Right? Or am I missing something?

This may well put an end to the never-ending speculation regarding the chip model.
Did that. No response from @johnyang.

It looks like my amp arrives tomorrow. Despite that terrible customer service, I’ll give it a day or two before I send it back….

Nikola Tesla

Sure. But note that per earlier posts, RCA outputs may not have enough voltage and/or at low enough distortion to drive the PA5.
Being a newbie here with my E30/L30 stack, the E30 outputs 2.0V so it won’t be enough to reap the full power, but my L30 in preamp mode will at 26V?
Im going by the tech specs.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Did that. No response from @johnyang.

It looks like my amp arrives tomorrow. Despite that terrible customer service, I’ll give it a day or two before I send it back….
Amp has been opened, heatsink removed, chip identified. It's all in this thread ;-)

And, no sane manufacturer would ever give away internals and there is zero reason why they should. This is not a public domain design.

Wirrunna

It's called the 'silly season' for a reason...
Yeah, but now the real whackos are here, there is a post a bit earlier from someone who actually bought a PA5 and commented on how it sounds!
No reference to it costs too much, no query of what chip is in it and didn't even ask for a 19kHz measurement !

timing3435 , thank you for some sanity.​

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yeah, but now the real whackos are here, there is a post a bit earlier from someone who actually bought a PA5 and commented on how it sounds!
No reference to it costs too much, no query of what chip is in it and didn't even ask for a 19kHz measurement !

timing3435 , thank you for some sanity.​

Maybe it may seem a little wild in the thread but better that than disinterest.

Class d and measurements and how to interpret the results are in themselves, in general, interesting discussions.:)

Discussions about the design and quality of components in a product are interesting.

I think the reason why so much is written is probably actually rather that here we have a product and it is a matter of "sharp mode". Whether to press the "order button" or not. It is clear that then a lot of questions are asked, not least about practical details. What is the quality of the connections, what are the guarantees, construction quality in general and so on. This is how it is with this product, as with basically everything else you are considering buying. You want to know how it works in practice. Does not only apply to Hifi.:)

It can be compared to extremely expensive "high end" products where most people can not afford and out of sheer curiosity are interested in the product. There are usually not such extensive threads about such products because then the wallet should not be opened anyway. Applies to most, pepole that is, BUT those who have really lot of money probably do not care and buy super expensive 'high end' anyway without examining the product in detail before buying. It's a guess on my part.

EDIT:
Short. Here is a product that seems to be really affordable, price vs performance looks really good. It even seems so good so there are those who are not really in need of one it buys it anyway. He he.:D

Incidentally, it is mentioned here:
Webninja:Topping PA5. I don’t need one, but I’m looking to create a reason.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
PA5 arrived from Aoshida HiFi and I immediately tested it in combination with E50. This is an intermediate report.

1. There is no noise when turning the power on/off and switching the input.
However, if the AC plug is suddenly unplugged while the power is on, noise will be generated for a moment. The noise level isn't high, but this is a bit disappointing.

2. Noise from the speaker when there is no sound cannot be heard even if the ear is in close contact with the speaker unit.

3. In this season, the heat generated by the amplifier case is a little warmer, but in midsummer, the heat generated will be even greater and the slits in the case will be effective. It is a fever situation similar to AIYIMA A07. (In my research, I think the chip used is TPA3255)

4. The volume change of the volume changes linearly and smoothly. The volume change is the same as TP60, PA3, PA3s, etc. Probably the taper A for audio is adopted for the volume pot. I don't feel any gang error.

5. It is pointed out that PA5 has a low gain, but it is not a problem for home use in the test in combination with E50.

6. Regarding the sound quality that is most worrisome, I compared it with PA3s, AO200, A20a, and AIYIMA A07/A04, but PA5 produces a different dimension of sound from these amplifiers.
The energy of the mid-low range, the transparency of the high range, and the resolution are improved. It sounds like an upgraded version of the highly acclaimed MA12070 chip amp. The first thing I felt when I heard the sound of PA5 was the size of the sound stage. When you hear this sound, you are satisfied with the price of PA5. However, how you feel the sound varies from person to person, so please understand it for reference only.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
However, if the AC plug is suddenly unplugged while the power is on, noise will be generated for a moment. The noise level isn't high, but this is a bit disappointing.

This is what happens when external power supplies are used. What happens if you pull the two pin connection on the back of the amp itself?

Traditional amplifiers use AC detection to immediately mute on power interuption. The classic NEC UPC-1237HA or the Toshiba TA-7317P ICs have been used for the best part of 40 years to do that, along with DC protection, overpower, short circuit

pma

Major Contributor
3. In this season, the heat generated by the amplifier case is a little warmer, but in midsummer, the heat generated will be even greater and the slits in the case will be effective. It is a fever situation similar to AIYIMA A07. (In my research, I think the chip used is TPA3255)
This is a logical result of the separate heatsink used inside a closed metal box. Bigger case with direct contact with the heatsink or small external heatsink with fins would do the job reliably.

Top Bottom