• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 29.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 60.4%

• Total voters

VVR

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Bought my PA5 II Plus recommended from this review. loving it! its connected to my E50 DAC on balanced input.
Just want to ask, is it normal that it runs hot even on idle?
It shouldn't run hot. I never turn mine off and it doesn't go above 35C, idle or not. Do you have enough ventilation or another source of heat nearby? I doubt it dissipates more than 2-3W on idle.

My setup, btw, i exactly like yours

elmoe420

It shouldn't run hot. I never turn mine off and it doesn't go above 35C, idle or not. Do you have enough ventilation or another source of heat nearby? I doubt it dissipates more than 2-3W on idle.

Or perhaps just a different threshold for "hot". I consider 35C hot personally.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have muchO experience dealing with electronic circuitry operating at thermal runaway from 85C up to and including a calibrated certified operation @ 177C at the top level of qualified stuff.

35C is peanuts and is very OK.

elmoe420

I have muchO experience dealing with electronic circuitry operating at thermal runaway from 85C up to and including a calibrated certified operation @ 177C at the top level of qualified stuff.

35C is peanuts and is very OK.

Never said anything about whether it would damage the electronics just that someone might consider 35C "hot" when touching it.

Comparatively my Purifi amps run much cooler albeit with much better passive cooling than that tiny PA5 box.

I hope you don't own any class D amps running at 177C...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never said anything about whether it would damage the electronics just that someone might consider 35C "hot" when touching it.

Comparatively my Purifi amps run much cooler albeit with much better passive cooling than that tiny PA5 box.

No the 177C stuff is special high heat application tools for downhole metering. Holes like hundreds to thousands of feet deep in the Earth strata.

VVR

In a room at 24-25C anything using electricity will be warmer than that. 35C is body temperature and very comfortable to touch. The amp normally sits at 32-33C, but I can't guarantee the room is 25C. In a warm day it can reach 35C. It's not so important and I wouldn't worry about anything below 40C.

On the topic of hot, a while ago we were destruction testing 200W power resistors in a lab. These things just refused to die. 30 min glowing red at 175C surface temperature and still fine. Took us hours to finally melt one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In a room at 24-25C anything using electricity will be warmer than that. 35C is body temperature and very comfortable to touch. The amp normally sits at 32-33C, but I can't guarantee the room is 25C. In a warm day it can reach 35C. It's not so important and I wouldn't worry about anything below 40C.

On the topic of hot, a while ago we were destruction testing 200W power resistors in a lab. These things just refused to die. 30 min glowing red at 175C surface temperature and still fine. Took us hours to finally melt one.
I must ask. Why where you torturing load resistors?

VVR

I must ask. Why where you torturing load resistors?
Aaah, we were designing power inverters for solar panel farms and it was part of many tests required for certification. They were supposed to "fail safe" and we had to prove it by destroying them in supposedly faulty condition.
I don't remember the details, it was 6-7 years ago, but I remember the setup, the smell, the crazy temperature, and the long time they lasted. Nobody expected them to be that reliable

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aaah, we were designing power inverters for solar panel farms and it was part of many tests required for certification. They were supposed to "fail safe" and we had to prove it by destroying them in supposedly faulty condition.
I don't remember the details, it was 6-7 years ago, but I remember the setup, the smell, the crazy temperature, and the long time they lasted. Nobody expected them to be that reliable
IC. Cool... :D

afiqzali

Ours also runs hot even when idle. It's my wife's PC setup amp and she regularly forgets to turn it off at night. Always warm in the morning.
ahhh ok so I'm not alone. It has been a habit for me not to forget to switch it off or its gonna warm my room lol

afiqzali

its stacked with my dac at the corner of the desk near the window with a fan pretty much constantly blowing across the desk out the window so I want to say there is ventilation. I live at the equator with no air conditioning in my room so the temp is pretty much 29C at best at night to 33C all day.

afiqzali

its definitely warmer than my hands when i touch the amp.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor

VVR

I guess we can call it "about 8-10C above ambient". At 33C in room, 42-ish would be expected. This can feel pretty warm.
Don't you have a DMM with thermocouple to measure on the case? It would help many people not sure what to expect.

elmoe420

It's less than your normal body temperature...

Hmm looks like I'll have to eat crow on this one then.

I'll see if I can find my thermocouple and measure my wife's PA5 the next time she leaves it in overnight. It's definitely quite warm to the touch.

Last edited:

natna

New to the PA5 II Plus team.
It came on Monday and sounds nicely.
The sound is balanced, neutral, without coloring. The better the source is, the better the output will be.
Playing FLACs 16/44.1 to 24/96-192 from Sony UBP-X800M2 through my SMSL D-6S.
No sibilance, no boominess. Stereo image is nice.
My old cheap bookself speakers (Crystal audio TX-B1) are neutral sounding, 89db/W sensitive, 6.5'' glass fibre woofer + 1'' silk dome and I'd say that they couple nicely with PA5 II plus.

I' m a bit confused, about what cables to buy in order to connect balanced the D-6s to PA5 II plus.
XLR to mono 6.3 TRS microphone cables?

or

XLR to stereo 6.3 TRS microphone cables?

Last edited:

Grael

Top Bottom