• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker cable specs

CinDyment

You have not answered a single question.
More word salad.

I take my lessons from you.

The difference is, I work in the real world, and use real world numbers, so when I say that the effect of the non-zero R of a cable on the frequency response in a real world system is potentially larger than the effect of L of the same cable, that is not a guess based on imaginary numbers, but on actual cables and speakers.

I didn't notice any questions, I only noticed feeble attempts to attempt to discredit me, whereas your lack of answers to my questions speaks directly to a lack of addressing the topic. I was honest. I have chatted with others. They think your numbers are suspect as well. Your inability to even consider you could be mistaken is not a good look. Only way to fix that is to show your actual work and how you arrived at those number for the speaker (and show in the problem being discussed, where 26.5 ohms has any relevance).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
At these wavelengths, DCR is the only thing that matters for anything non-stupid. I don’t understand why it’s complicated.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I take my lessons from you.

The difference is, I work in the real world, and use real world numbers, so when I say that the effect of the non-zero R of a cable on the frequency response in a real world system is potentially larger than the effect of L of the same cable, that is not a guess based on imaginary numbers, but on actual cables and speakers.

I didn't notice any questions, I only noticed feeble attempts to attempt to discredit me, whereas your lack of answers to my questions speaks directly to a lack of addressing the topic. I was honest. I have chatted with others. They think your numbers are suspect as well. Your inability to even consider you could be mistaken is not a good look. Only way to fix that is to show your actual work and how you arrived at those number for the speaker (and show in the problem being discussed, where 26.5 ohms has any relevance).
I showed you how a cable X attenuates more than R.

Thread title: speaker cable specs
Not interaction with speakers which doesn't matter anyways.

Show me:
R is frequency dependent as you claim
Music is not transient in nature as you claim

Ingenieur

At these wavelengths, DCR is the only thing that matters for anything non-stupid. I don’t understand why it’s complicated.
It's not
That is why I showed Zo does not matter
Skin and proximity effect do not matter

Only L, to a small degree as long as the cable is sized for low P loss

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Thread title: speaker cable specs
Not interaction with speakers which doesn't matter anyways.

Show me:
Recorded music is highly bandwidth limited. Ears even more so.

CinDyment

It is not complicated. In many cases DCR will have a greater impact on the frequency response than any other parameter of the cable from an absolute standpoint with real speakers, and from a practical standpoint, since those effects are where the distance between equal loudness contours is largest, "if audible", that difference is amplified.

Ingenieur

Not really. You can close microphone everything. Houses usually keep temperature constant enough. Just have to be cognizant of heating of the voice coils. They will often swamp other effects. Of course everything needs to be keep in perfect position, warmed up to a constant temperature, etc. It's not trivial, but it is easy to create far less variability than you ever experience in actual listening.
You measure it electrically. As Amir has.
Signal in vs signal out
Not after transduction by the speaker and the mic.

Ingenieur

Recorded music is highly bandwidth limited. Ears even more so.
That is why the discussion is BW limited.
Only the music/signal content is of interest.
Magnitude is limited too, but to a fairly high ratio from N to S.

Ingenieur

It is not complicated. In many cases DCR will have a greater impact on the frequency response than any other parameter of the cable from an absolute standpoint with real speakers, and from a practical standpoint, since those effects are where the distance between equal loudness contours is largest, "if audible", that difference is amplified.
Rdc has no impact on response linearity.
Only overall magnitude. Power loss
No phase
No f dependency, all affected the same

CinDyment

If we are talking those parameters in isolation, then I also showed you that is case dependent and that dependency is due to the load.

Show me:
Now you are either lying or daft, because I never once claimed this nor implied it.

Transient has no hard definition. However, within the framework of a transmission line, what would be considered a transient, would be something similar to a step function, case adjusted for cable length. There is no situation in analog audio where the rate of change would be considered a "transient" from a transmission line standpoint.

Purely from the equation of characteristics impedance of a cable,

1649430356385.png

One could make leap that something is a transient where the this equation is near asymptotically

1649430436748.png

Which is not the case at 100Hz or 1000Hz, because in most cables, R/G is the dominant variable at those frequencies.

CinDyment

Rdc has no impact on response linearity.
Only overall magnitude. Power loss
No phase
No f dependency, all affected the same

It is a linear system, so it is always "linear" or are you making up your own terminology for linear systems now?

Rdc of the cable by interacting with the speaker, will cause amplitude and phase shift.

The impact of Rdc on the system changes with frequency, both in phase and magnitude because the speaker impedance changes with phase and magnitude. You can measure the cable and the speaker independently, but it is a system we are concerned with. I could put an element into the system to counter the cable inductance and result in a system that was more "linear" at high frequencies.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That is why the discussion is BW limited.
Only the music/signal content is of interest.
Magnitude is limited too, but to a fairly high ratio from N to S.
Ok, then stop using the term “transient.” In the context of a line of negligible length wrt frequency, there’s nothing anywhere close to a transient, it’s a slowly varying signal.

Feyire

Here's what I ideally look for in a speaker cable: (also applies to the speaker cable's terminations, i.e. spades, banana plugs etc..)
  • Lowest possible DC resistance
  • Lowest possible capacitance
  • Lowest possible inductance
  • Conductor is made from purest possible copper
  • Conductor does not contain any ferromagnetic material
  • Conductor does not have any ferromagnetic material directly in its path
  • Conductor is coated with a conductive, non-ferromagnetic material, in order to prevent oxidation
  • Conductor is insulated appropriately with a material that has the lowest possible dielectric loss

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I know! I know! Pick me! The answer is because it is two engineers having a good old mental fist fight. Fun to watch but not very educating. Thus, my big bowl of popcorn. Beats watching old "Flipper" re-runs on tv..

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know! I know! Pick me! The answer is because it is two engineers having a good old mental fist fight. Fun to watch but not very educating. Thus, my big bowl of popcorn. Beats petting my cat........
Your cat disagrees!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Here's what I ideally look for in a speaker cable: (also applies to the speaker cable's terminations, i.e. spades, banana plugs etc..)
  • Conductor is made from purest possible copper
  • Conductor does not contain any ferromagnetic material
  • Conductor does not have any ferromagnetic material directly in its path
  • Conductor is coated with a conductive, non-ferromagnetic material, in order to prevent oxidation
  • Conductor is insulated appropriately with a material that has the lowest possible dielectric loss
You got one right, anyway.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Conductor is made from purest possible copper
Why?
Conductor does not contain any ferromagnetic material
OK but if inductance is low and linear why would this matter.
in the end performance matters not how it is achieved?

And having an Characteristic line impedance as closes to your speaker impedance as possible.
And waht about:

• Highest possible common mode impedance
  • Best possible Shielding?
  • low triboelectric effect insulator

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And having an Characteristic line impedance as closes to your speaker impedance as possible.
Nonsense. And when considering the order of magnitude swing in speaker impedance, doubly meaningless.

This has been understood for nearly half a century since the cable scams started taking off.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Nonsense.
Have you read the starting post what the thread is about?!
We are not talking about audible differences here at all.

And when considering the order of magnitude swing in speaker impedance, doubly meaningless.
Well you need better speaker or better impedance compansation like back in the days when tube amps hat relatively high output impedance.

Top Bottom