• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker cable specs

Lambda

Major Contributor
Putting aside the use of the single wire formula instead of twin pair,
of cause i did calculated it for a zip cord wire not a single wire.

t frequencies any of us can actually hear,
Why do you keep ignoring the scope of this thread. is was never about thinks we can actually hear.

w.r.t. transmission lines and transients, THIS is the formula for characteristics impedance --
And G is close to infinite and R is 7 times smaler then L at 20k

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
of cause i did calculated it for a zip cord wire not a single wire.

Why do you keep ignoring the scope of this thread. is was never about thinks we can actually hear.

At least you didn't trot out "transients," so we're making progress.

CinDyment

In your cable, not in mine, and that has nothing to do with characteristic impedance though there is a correlation between cable characteristic impedance and inductance in general, but they are not the same thing.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In this case it is force (gravity) exerted on the scale.
You can push a button and convert to Oz or Lb.

454 g = 1 lb
Lb is not mass, but a force
The mass is 1 lb /32 ft-sec^2 ~ 0.03 slug
Ha, I knew you would come back with that. My point was semantics, and how close you look at the actual wording someone is using. :cool: The scale tell you mass in Kg. It was set on Kg. Of course it measures weight to do this, but when it displays in Kg like in the photo it is giving you mass.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
but what abut the reflections from the impedance mismatch?
That's beyond ridiculous. On so, so many levels.

I honestly don't understand the motivation to throw out bizarre misuses of basic electrical theory to make a simple issue seem complex.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

I honestly don't understand the motivation to throw out bizarre misuses of basic electrical theory to make a simple issue seem complex.
SIY, you just defined snake oil again!

Ingenieur

At least you didn't trot out "transients," so we're making progress.
At least now you know what they are?
Can a mechanical system like spring isolation have transients?

Ingenieur

Would you please stop lying.

No one said R is frequency dependent. That is an out and out lie and I am sure I and others do not appreciate it.

As well, it was not said that "Music" is not transient in nature. In fact I called you out on this and said we are not talking about music, we are talking about electrical signals that represent audio/music and within the framework of a discussion of electrical signals, and transmissions lines, at the lengths we are talking about, the electrical signals representing music are not transients.

CONTEXT

When you are attempting to use a definition of transient that practically everyone else in your profession would disagree with, then they are not the problem, you are, because it is just that, a definition, a convention, and conventions have context, and you ignoring context for the sake of argument makes you wrong, not everyone else.
You still have not explained;
How R changes with freq as you claimed several times
What 'j' is

Context

Ingenieur

Well, there is a reason amps spec damping factor.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it bizarre misuse.

Last edited:

Ingenieur

It is a linear system, so it is always "linear" or are you making up your own terminology for linearity now?

Rdc of the cable by interacting with the speaker, will cause amplitude and phase shift.

The impact of Rdc on the system changes with frequency, both in phase and magnitude
because the speaker impedance changes with phase and magnitude. You can measure the cable and the speaker independently, but it is a system we are concerned with. I could put an element into the system to counter the cable inductance and result in a system that was more "linear" at high frequencies.

So Rdc changes phase and is frequency dependent?

The system is not linear
It is a first or second order nonlinear differential equation since noise and randomness is present.

The speaker/load determines phase
It changes the V/I phase
The V does not change the L or C
Z = R + jX

The speaker Z IS or determines the phase and magnitude
Sqrt (R^2 + X^2) = |Z| magnitude
Phase = arctan(X/R) deg

Last edited:

Ingenieur

@SIY are you thinking what I am thinking?
You said R was freq dependent a few times.
Then you denied saying it.
Can't have it both ways skippy.

What is 'j' you've quoted in equations 1/2 dozen times?

CinDyment

You still have not explained;
How R changes with freq as you claimed several times
What 'j' is

Context

Since I never claimed that R changes with frequency and since you are repeatedly lying that I did I can only assume mental health issues. Let me know if I can help. Mental health is important.

Ingenieur

It is a linear system, so it is always "linear" or are you making up your own terminology for linearity now?

Rdc of the cable by interacting with the speaker, will cause amplitude and phase shift.

The impact of Rdc on the system changes with frequency, both in phase and magnitude
because the speaker impedance changes with phase and magnitude. You can measure the cable and the speaker independently, but it is a system we are concerned with. I could put an element into the system to counter the cable inductance and result in a system that was more "linear" at high frequencies.
How does R cause phase shift?
The impact of R on the system changes with frequency.

R does not change with f.
It does not contribute to phase shift, it is constant. The R value in crossovers does not change.

L and R induce phase shift

stop with the personal attacks by calling me a liar

Z IS the phase and magnitude

Ingenieur

L is the critical factor
Cable 6
Highest C
Lowest L
Flattest response
My cable, per 3.1 m
L 0.4 uH
C 1.1 nF
61C2221C-B2BA-459A-91CF-A7D4B97F2E63.jpeg
7BF33C10-B6AC-4425-9966-556EB7BDC571.jpeg

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well, there is a reason amps spec damping factor.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it bizarre misuse.
Like I said, this is a simple matter. No idea why you want to make it arcane.

DCR, as long as you’re not doing something stupid like some of those fancy cables in your charts. I don’t worry much about the characteristic impedance of component leads, either.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said, this is a simple matter. No idea why you want to make it arcane.

DCR, as long as you’re not doing something stupid like some of those fancy cables in your charts. I don’t worry much about the characteristic impedance of component leads, either.
Yes, SIY has been giving the only spec that matters. Unless you diabolically make some brain damaged cable like MIT or Transparent audio where you are adding things to make it alter the response of the cable.

So unless any of you guys have some legitimate concern other than DCR, why are you posting this bull sh*te?

This thread is over 250 posts when about 3 should have been more than enough.

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the specs to the best speaker cable. It is right in the name. World's Best speaker cable.

I'd say you can close the thread now.

1649492723757.png

Top Bottom