• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimm Audio LS1BE- why so expensive?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I mean it's a 2- way with an 8 inch woofer and 1 inch beryllium tweeter.
Yes obviously the dry specs don't tell the whole story but I just don't understand what's so special about them that makes them worth $30,000 per pair.
LS1be-category.jpg

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's not worth it to me, no matter how "good" they are! ;)

A lot of factors go-into pricing... A high price will make it more desirable among "audiophiles". And with low production quantities, the manufacturing and distribution costs are higher, your per-unit engineering and overhead costs and higher and with lower quantities you need a higher per-unit profit.

Jokerbre

It's not worth it to me, no matter how "good" they are! ;)

A lot of factors go-into pricing... A high price will make it more desirable among "audiophiles". And with low production quantities, the manufacturing and distribution costs are higher, your per-unit engineering and overhead costs and higher and with lower quantities you need a higher per-unit profit.
High price/desirability ratio is valid.
Engineering and rest of BS are nonsense. Mantra from manufacturers. One prototype done right and rest are easy.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Similar feelings about the JBL M2, most passive speakers, non-coaxial speakers, ones that come in box shaped reflecto-resonance boxes, and anything used at home the prioritizes loudness.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I've understood correctly they include Hypex NCore amps, digital active crossovers, DAC.. the software development was probably costly. Unusual cabinet with large baffle and rounded edges to reduce diffraction. It all adds up. Very expensive but I bet they sound awesome.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bruno Putzeys first loudspeaker design, they didn’t used to be so expensive the original LS1’s we sold for £9k, Grimm have added an expensive tweeter and the motional feedback to the subs in the most expensive model.
Keith

fineMen

Major Contributor
Yes obviously the dry specs don't tell the whole story but I just don't understand what's so special about them that makes them worth $30,000 per pair.
View attachment 199454

These guys now refer to "6moons". What do You expect? It is "the fine art to separate the people from their money"

The original idea has fallen down, now they sell to ... in very short, Grimm's is not worth to be considered, me thinks.

Anecdote: "Grimm" for many Europeans denotes the two German brothers who wrote down the aural tradition of fairy tales. Most often referred to as "The Brothers Grimms' Fairy Tales"

It is done ;-) A failed business?

<Thank's to anonymous for correcting the spelling>

Last edited:

DWI

It's not an audiophile thing, these are sold as much as monitors as consumer speakers. Bruno Putzeys seems to premium price his top line models in all his businesses. Can't say I blame him, he knows his customers.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Bruno Putzeys first loudspeaker design, they didn’t used to be so expensive the original LS1’s we sold for £9k, Grimm have added an expensive tweeter and the motional feedback to the subs in the most expensive model.
Keith
How do they compare to Genelec Ones and DD 8C?

Freddy

This is really a `rather silly first post. You do realise that these speakers have inbuilt amps and a Dac. Buy a decent Dac for ab few thousand and an amplifier for a few thousand more and the total will pretty much be up for the cost of the speaker.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is really a `rather silly first post. You do realise that these speakers have inbuilt amps and a Dac. Buy a decent Dac for ab few thousand and an amplifier for a few thousand more and the total will pretty much be up for the cost of the speaker.
Genelec 8361 and DD 8C and Kii 3 also have everything you said at 1/3 of the price

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 199454
They have a tweeter thats really good.:cool:
To be serious- these are quite unique loudspeakers with a broad baffle . The measurements I have seen are outstanding.
The sound from those will probably detronise any passive loudspeaker, regardless of price.
Maybe one of the worlds best loudspeakers ?
Why do people buy a Tesla ?

The Genelec 8361 seems to get you far more for the money , playing music full range for less money. Im not sure they sound better though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom