• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

EarlessOldMan

A few years ago, Washington enacted the Uniform Public Expression Protection Act (UPEPA), which would apply to any lawsuit brought against Amir arising out of any of his reviews here (or at least any lawsuit brought in a Washington state court on this issue). UPEPA provides for a method of seeking an early dismissal of such an action, and the prevailing party on such a motion can recover its reasonable attorneys' fees. Even without UPEPA, any lawsuit brought against Amir for this review would, in my opinion as a Washington-licensed lawyer, be frivolous and subject to sanctions. Amir's reviews are classic statements of opinion, and he provides the information on which he bases his opinions. Under U.S. law, such statements of opinion cannot be defamatory as they are not statements of fact.

I dislike seeing people trying to bully others into silence through the threat of litigation.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few years ago, Washington enacted the Uniform Public Expression Protection Act (UPEPA), which would apply to any lawsuit brought against Amir arising out of any of his reviews here (or at least any lawsuit brought in a Washington state court on this issue). UPEPA provides for a method of seeking an early dismissal of such an action, and the prevailing party on such a motion can recover its reasonable attorneys' fees. Even without UPEPA, any lawsuit brought against Amir for this review would, in my opinion as a Washington-licensed lawyer, be frivolous and subject to sanctions. Amir's reviews are classic statements of opinion, and he provides the information on which he bases his opinions. Under U.S. law, such statements of opinion cannot be defamatory as they are not statements of fact.

I dislike seeing people trying to bully others into silence through the threat of litigation.

Yes, that's a good example of a state anti-SLAPP law. They key is the early dismissal provision.

dzerig

But detrimental to all concerned except the lawyers, unfortunately.
Lawyers don't meet for a friendly cup of coffee. Everyone knows this.

Especially the man who made the original threat.

These kind of threats pop up all the time and panic many people and go nowhere.

FutureMotion vs. critics of their warranty and parts policy

The RV industry vs. the nicest lady I've ever seen on youtube

many many more

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My wife is a violist, so I hear more violist jokes than lawyer jokes, believe it or not.

I didn't even know that was a "thing":

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Lawyers don't meet for a friendly cup of coffee. Everyone knows this.

A coffee at a costa/starbucks is bloody expensive as it is without getting lawyers involved, jeez :oops:…………. that’d be a £600 per hour single espresso shot.

Katzz

The mention of Audiosciencereview "slanderous and deeply flawed review" has been removed from the description of the M-lore

m lore 1.png

m lore 2.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
On the FR graph in your original review at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/tekton-m-lore-speaker-review.48732/ you make the comment "fairly uneven" but what I see is ± 4 dB from 70 Hz to about 18 kHz. That does not seem "fairly uneven" to me, really. It's not ± 3 dB like the 3-way Revel speakers tend to measure across the same range, and which you call "quite flat on-axis response" - but ± 3 dB and ± 4 dB is not really the distance between "quite flat" and "fairly uneven."

Quite flat and fairly uneven are subjective judgements, and I thought that this site was trying to be emphasize objective, scientific criteria. Might be better to let the measurements speak for themselves without the subjective editorial.....
To my knowledge that's not how you analyze a FR .
''+/- 3dB'' or ''+/- 4 dB'' doesn't tell you much about the speaker response.
There's a dedicated thread to help you avoid those mistakes, it's very helpfull.
Subjective listenning is required and expected by the average ASR crowd and even more by the manufacturers. The possibility of a bias has to be taken into account, obviously.

dfuller

Major Contributor
To my knowledge that's not how you analyze a FR .
''+/- 3dB'' or ''+/- 4 dB'' doesn't tell you much about the speaker response.
There's a dedicated thread to help you avoid those mistakes, it's very helpfull.
Subjective listenning is required and expected by the average ASR crowd and even more by the manufacturers. The possibility of a bias has to be taken into account, obviously.
Plus to be honest ±3dB on axis is like, bare minimum for "decent" in my book. Flatter within reason is better, and competent designs are within ±2dB or better.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Plus to be honest ±3dB on axis is like, bare minimum for "decent" in my book. Flatter within reason is better, and competent designs are within ±2dB or better.
Especially through the speech power band...

Boris

Ugh, I guess it was just a question of time until somebody got sore and threatened legal action instead of saying thank you and fixing their stuff. Personally I just want to say "thank you" for helping me understand high-end audio better. Keep up the good work! Here's hoping this will blow over.

Eyexlr8

Test instruments are too dumb to lie so Tekon would have no defense other than an emotional tantrum

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this was posted before, but at min 15 not only does he point out how poorly they measured, he modifies them to improve their measurements. I know GRR has history with this site, but did anyone from Tekton make threats over that?

Thanks for this!

What Danny says - and emotes, with his raised eyebrows and inhalation of breath before showing the frequency response - about the Lore is roughly the same, or more negative, than what Amir wrote about the M-Lore. And they both commented on the "uneven" (Amir) and "rough" (Danny) response.

Not to mention that Danny's comment about the poor off-axis vertical directivity is totally dismissive of Tekton's prescriptions for what height to listen to and measure the speakers from, while @amirm actually took care to measure (and I presume listen) from the height dictated by Tekton's own user manual.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks for this!

What Danny says - and emotes, with his raised eyebrows and inhalation of breath before showing the frequency response - about the Lore is roughly the same, or more negative, than what Amir wrote about the M-Lore. And they both commented on the "uneven" (Amir) and "rough" response.

Not to mention that Danny's comment about the poor off-axis vertical directivity is totally dismissive of Tekton's prescriptions for what height to listen to and measure the speakers from, while @amirm actually took care to measure (and I presume listen) from the height dictated by Tekton's own user manual.

That's very true.

But the highlight for me is the extended Danny "cheeeesy" (sonus faber) here:

dzerig

Ugh, I guess it was just a question of time until somebody got sore and threatened legal action instead of saying thank you and fixing their stuff. Personally I just want to say "thank you" for helping me understand high-end audio better. Keep up the good work! Here's hoping this will blow over.
Boris. Always Boris.

jharkness

I vote we, as an audio community, boycott ANY and ALL Tekton equipment. Obviously, this "Karen" at Tekton thiks too highly of his items and cannot take any criticism on their products whether good or bad. This is narsasistic (sic) tendencies. Simply not reviewing them is the easiest way to solve this.

If anyone asks about them, send them to all these issues.

Let Tekton implode over their own ignorances.

WillBrink

Thanks for this!

What Danny says - and emotes, with his raised eyebrows and inhalation of breath before showing the frequency response - about the Lore is roughly the same, or more negative, than what Amir wrote about the M-Lore. And they both commented on the "uneven" (Amir) and "rough" (Danny) response.

That's my point, and he even modifies the speaker, which I'd think any speaker designer would get much more offended over. I can't imagine Tekton was not aware of that. Amir review was mild in comparison. Erin's was not even negative really, but tested a different model. GR pretty much straight up said they're not a good speaker, and had to physically correct them. Considering the nasty letter and threats sent to Amir and Erin, I'd have expected that much or more a response to GR. If I were a speaker designer, I'd honestly not appreciate someone modifying my designs to sell their own kits. But, aftermarket stuff is part of most industries, some are a benefit, some are not. Much of it in audio are BS as we all know.

Top Bottom