• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto DAC8 Pro - open to new orders

DTTOM37

Thank you, Kal, for confirming Win11 conformity ;-)
Is there anything special to look at the Windows system side ???
(I have only W7/W10 pro, but asking for the others ..)

Ibanez

Yes, something is really wrong, and i am starting to believe it is the individual elements that are somehow broken. I will test with a small 1.5v battery to see if i get any response from the elements.

DTTOM37

Yes, something is really wrong, and i am starting to believe it is the individual elements that are somehow broken. I will test with a small 1.5v battery to see if i get any response from the elements.
I have understood that all OKTO DAC 8 pro elements were working under WIN10 ("Tested the DAC in an friends setup, he has wind8ws 10 home, and there the DAC worked as intended") which seems to indicates that rather your digital side (computer setup) or your analog (cable / amp) path may have a problem.

Ibanez

Thanks Kai for sayimg it should work under Windows 11
But this is not via Jriver, it is in windows sound panel in DIYHNK Dac8PRO speaker i do the tests, not with any other programs or players.

Yes that's right, in his system i worked correctly, volume wise.
So i'm starting to believe it is either some of the elements are broken or it is something with AMD X570 chipset USB issue that is never to be fully resolved.
Or a really bad Win 11 installation.

I ran an sfc yesterday, all was good.
And when i had my Marantz SR7010 and did the same tests in Windows Sound Panel all channels worked as intended but then it was not USB, it was HDMI that i used with that config

My PC:
Asus X570-e Gaming
5800x
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB
An older Sandisk 2.5" 256gb SSD
980 EVO nVmwe for games.
Latest Widows 11 updates.
Theyson Driver 4.67 provided from Okto.

I will get sad if the midrange and tweeter on left speaker and tweeter on right speaker is broken,
I hope it's not that bad

Last edited:

DTTOM37

But this is not via Jriver, it is in windows sound panel in DIYHNK Dac8PRO speaker i do the tests, not with any other programs or players.

Yes that's right, in his system i worked correctly, volume wise.
So i'm starting to believe it is either some of the elements are broken or it is something with AMD X570 chipset USB issue that is never to be fully resolved.
Or a really bad Win 11 installation.

I ran an sfc yesterday, all was good.
And when i had my Marantz SR7010 and did the same tests in Windows Sound Panel all channels worked as intended but then it was not USB, it was HDMI that i used with that config

My PC:
Asus X570-e Gaming
5800x
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB
An older Sandisk 2.5" 256gb SSD
980 EVO nVmwe for games.
Latest Widows 11 updates.
Theyson Driver 4.67 provided from Okto.

I will get sad if the midrange and tweeter on left speaker and tweeter on right speaker is broken,
I hope it's not that bad
buy a bottle of wine, invite a friend with a Win10 notebook and test your system with that digital backend, if it works you dont need to worry about your analog frontend ;-)

Ibanez

The elements seem to work when testing with 1.5 battey, so the super low volume on the tweeters (my ch1-2 out on the dac, no reroute in menu.) i cant understand. It is really super low, i would not hear it on normal volume.

And Kai i must ask.
If you choose Wasapi Exclusive or Asio4All in qobuz will the sound distort when you use those
In qobuz
If i choose just Jriver Wasapi, not the exclusive one (is this wasapi shared)
Then no distortion but the Dac resamples all material to 48khz for some reason.
Is there some way around this, because it was so even before i bought the dac on motherboard sound out.

Ibanez

Found it
Both amps that was connected to the tweeters is somehow only giving low sound. Same has both loose something in it.
Must send it to repair.
It is Acoustic Imagary ATSAH NC500.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Our systems are overcomplicated these days. Makes it hard ti troubleshoot!

Ibanez

Yes agree on that AudioJester, it can take some amount of time to troubleshooting our systems.
But glad i found it, so can relax and just let someone handy fix it for me.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I responded to this:
Qobuz > jriver > dephonica > usb > amps.
And Kai i must ask.
If you choose Wasapi Exclusive or Asio4All in qobuz will the sound distort when you use those
Wasapi, Wasapi Exclusive and Direct all work fine. I do not use Asio4All.

Last edited:

Ibanez

Thanks for your replay Kai.
I got it working without any distortion, i dont really know why, but it started working as it should (wasapi , exclusivea, asio4all) and now the Dac8 pro sounds really amazing.
I am a really happy owner now.
I appreciate all your help and answers.
The amps are now sent in to repair and a friend let loan one berhinger A500 that i use for the tweeters. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Ibanez

I have read around a bit about using:
Qobuz desktop app > Jriver > convolver of choise, and it seems that Wasapi Exclusive have trouble without distorting/stuttering. Its a known issue, so i don't seem to be alone.
192/24 wont play without stutter when using desktop app. If i choose to in qobuz to play at 96/24 it plays as it should.

And Oktodacs seems to be in trouble with this combination, and the issue can be in fw 1.42.
Someone have 1.43 and it was partial solved.

But if some of you have it working in Exclusive mode in that type of order of sendig audio from qobuz to convolver via jriver and have same fw on dac8 pro i really would need help with it.

IIt works.as it should when i am using bubbleupnp on phone > jriver > dephonica.
So i have playable system that way via upnp.

But sometimes i want to use desktop app and that don't want to play well in exclusive mode, and trying jriver asio as play output is not working well for me, qobuz either use it and samplerates wont kick in, or stay at 48 or qobuz crash.

And thanks for all your help

Ibanez

Must ask a question.
Is your order number in mail matcing your serial number on dac (a note under the piwer inlet).
Mine is much lower than my order number

My headphone out has failed and giving static noises and hum, power inlet is like losse into chassies also. Powercord inlet was so even when i got the unit and i have been afraid of moving the unit at all when powercord is connected because of this.

I seem to be an unlucky user. I don't know if i will reclaim my money, i have had so much issues with it so it feels i will give up on this one.

Feel a bit sad by now

Was really seeimg forward before it arrived, but now i don't know what to really feel.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not contact them? There is a warranty, isn't there?

Sounds like something (or more than one thing) came loose inside. When you reach out tell them you are willing to open it up if they can give you some guidance.

Ibanez

I have contacted therm. The first thing i did.
And i believe the heaadamp board has gone bad.

But does your s/n match your order number?
Or else, how can we then determine if we had got the one we ordered?

Last edited:

Ibanez

Now it will be shipped back and repaired.
And s/n does not match order due to 2 product lines and cancellation of orders, that is ofcourse logical.

MJT

They're in stock! I configured my phone to alert for DAC8 stock status changes. Just placed order. Super excited!

Last edited:

DTTOM37

I received an email from Pavel this week, which confirms that the provided USB driver should work with WIN11.
He announced, however, a branded and latest Thesycon driver is on their roadmap in the next couple of month.

Ibanez

Ok, a new driver on the roadmap for windows 11, that's good.
And the one that they already provide is also works with windows 11, i can confirm that too.
Good DAC, but i had only some bad luck with ch1-2 / headphone out on mine, it sounded wonderful till it started malfunctioning.
I believe i just had bad luck with mine and that Pavel is gonna fix it so it will play for years to come

Top Bottom