• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really all you need is 1 bolt with a stand. Just so the speaker doesn’t get tipped off of it. If the whole stand gets knocked over, doesn’t matter how many, it’s all going down. Don’t get me wrong though, I feel more secure with a stand that is fit for my speakers.
That's what I'm trying to figure out... As long as it's not off-center I'm fine with one bolt.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is one quote that I pulled from Amir regarding a Revel Be speaker.. "The F328Be is in entirely different class than any other speaker we have tested. The difference comes in impressive bass performance that is essentially distortion-free. This brings a level of clarity and dynamics that is addictive. You can play as loud as you possibly want and the speaker comes along happily. No sign of any change in speaker response. It is just at home playing audiophile tracks and rock and roll."

I would imagine the M126BE to share some of those characteristics.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is one quote that I pulled from Amir regarding a Revel Be speaker.. "The F328Be is in entirely different class than any other speaker we have tested. The difference comes in impressive bass performance that is essentially distortion-free. This brings a level of clarity and dynamics that is addictive. You can play as loud as you possibly want and the speaker comes along happily. No sign of any change in speaker response. It is just at home playing audiophile tracks and rock and roll."

I would imagine the M126BE to share some of those characterist

Really all you need is 1 bolt with a stand. Just so the speaker doesn’t get tipped off of it. If the whole stand gets knocked over, doesn’t matter how many, it’s all going down. Don’t get me wrong though, I feel more secure with a stand that is fit for my speakers.
Also makes me wonder if I couldn't just put a high quality putty and set it on the surface of the plate...

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I would imagine the M126BE to share some of those characteristics.
Seeing as he is specifically talking about bass here, then, no, the M126be will not share those specific characteristics. And this is important when asking if they are worth it. Clarity at high levels over the M16s: sure--but whether you'll benefit from it depends on your room size and you certainly won't have the same bass. Clarity over the M106s: after looking at the distortion measurements of the latter I don't see potential audible benefits. I would expect the M126be to be easier to drive, however.

Spin - Revel Performa3Be M126Be.png

Amir himself has stated that he doesn't believe in spending that much money on bookshelves. I agree. These in particular need subs. At their price what you want is what is quoted, which you will get with floor-standers or by adding some subs. I own M16s, M106s, and F226Bes. I could be happy with the M16s properly set-up in an appropriate room as end-game. The M16s are special and offer more bass than the other two and take to EQ very well. (See my posts and measurements for evidence. I can get down to 30Hz. And to be fair, I think that they require EQ as I don't like that bass hump.) For anyone thinking of upgrading to the M126Bes, I'd recommend seeing what EQ can do for you first (and to consider the loss of bass). Having a speaker tuned to your room is something to experience.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing as he is specifically talking about bass here, then, no, the M126be will not share those specific characteristics. And this is important when asking if they are worth it. Clarity at high levels over the M16s: sure--but whether you'll benefit from it depends on your room size and you certainly won't have the same bass. Clarity over the M106s: after looking at the distortion measurements of the latter I don't see potential audible benefits. I would expect the M126be to be easier to drive, however.

View attachment 234092
Amir himself has stated that he doesn't believe in spending that much money on bookshelves. I agree. These in particular need subs. At their price what you want is what is quoted, which you will get with floor-standers or by adding some subs. I own M16s, M106s, and F226Bes. I could be happy with the M16s properly set-up in an appropriate room as end-game. The M16s are special and offer more bass than the other two and take to EQ very well. (See my posts and measurements for evidence. I can get down to 30Hz. And to be fair, I think that they require EQ as I don't like that bass hump.) For anyone thinking of upgrading to the M126Bes, I'd recommend seeing what EQ can do for you first (and to consider the loss of bass). Having a speaker tuned to your room is something to experience.
I'm currently running m16s with a Denon x3700H, a Rythmik 1000 watt E15HP2 sub on one side and a PB 1000 on the other. It does sound good but wondering if there is better. Oh yes and I have fully tuned everything in with Audessey 32

USER

Forum Donor
I'm currently running m16s with a Denon x3700H, a Rythmik 1000 watt E15HP2 sub on one side and a PB 1000 on the other. It does sound good but wondering if there is better. Oh yes and I have fully tuned everything in with Audessey 32
Revel speakers are tuned similarly--the exception is that bass hump on the M16s but it seems like you got rid of it; more, audyssey will tune any new speaker similarly--so don't expect anything drastically different tonal wise. Ask yourself what you are looking to improve. You should know. Have you looked at your measurements for any deficiencies? Is the size of your space an issue? (I don't recall you discussing this.) Don't let your imagination get the best of you so that you fantasize about things that don't exist. Coming into this by saying I heard its awesome is not an approach I'd take. I would say something like that distortion of the M16s at 2k bothers me at the volume and distance I listen from. That's a legitimate critique. But again, the M126bes seem like such a waste of money when the F226Bes and M106s exist.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is more refinement to be had in the $1500-2500/pr range, but diminishing returns set in beyond that these days, in my opinion.

For example, I'm not sure if more people prefer the Revel M16 or ELAC DBR62, but there are lots of fans of each. I have the DFR52 (floor standing version) and although they are great speakers, I definitely prefer the more neutral and refined sound of my S400 MK2's. I would think the case would be the same with the M106's, but I haven't heard them.

Bren Derlin

Exactly which was my concern about the m stand being top-heavy. I have the M16 which is a very sturdy metal stand. Do you know if an m106 could bolt in the front two bolts on the M16 stand? I realize the back bolts wouldn't bolt in.

The distance between the two front bolts on the M16 speakers is 6.25"
The distance between the two front bolts on the M106 speakers is 4.75"

The top plate seems on the M16 speaker stand looks to be too wide for the M106 over all.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought 126Be because I have no floor space, though bought them before the price increase and not close to the list price.

- Rich

mctron

Everyone here would trade KEF Q500 for Revel M16, right? Bookshelf vs tower notwithstanding

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I considered the M126Be to be my endgame speaker. Always thought I'd end up there.

When I saw the M106 speakers on sale, I jumped on this chance, as I had to replace some 17 old speakers anyway (replaced by the M16, and the M106 replaced the M16).

After I made my purchase, someone wrote in the M106 thread, the M106 speakers are damn near as good as the M126Be, and they're half the price. I can't verify this claim, but I can verify that going from the M16 to the M106 is a definitive step up - and particularly worth the upgrade, considering the M106 speakers are on sale for $1,540/pair on Crutchfield. The M126Be speakers would have to be absolutely exceptional above and beyond the M106 for me to even consider an upgrade at this point. As it is, I'm pretty content in the belief that the M106 + Rel HT1003 sub is my endgame speaker rig. Honestly. I don't know where I'd want to go from here. I'm under the impression I'd have to spend well above $4,000 to make a worthy audio quality leap from this point.
I'm about to win $1,000 in fantasy baseball so that makes all the upgrade price tags look nicer. :). Sounds like everyone thinks the smart money is on the $1,540 M106's except M126Be owners. Lol.

Bren Derlin

You can start with the M106, buy from Crutchfield, you'll have a 60 day trial period, and if you don't like them, return them, and get the Be speakers. Gives you plenty of time to LIVE with the speakers to decide.

tw 2022

I'm about to win $1,000 in fantasy baseball so that makes all the upgrade price tags look nicer. :). Sounds like everyone thinks the smart money is on the $1,540 M106's except M126Be owners. Lol.
I'm gonna do you a solid here, grab whatever speakers you want under $2000 and run away from the internet... Then listen to the speakers...if you don't like em send them back and order Philharmonic bmr's or ascend 2ex's... Either will compete with the revel Be's at half the cost...

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm gonna do you a solid here, grab whatever speakers you want under $2000 and run away from the internet... Then listen to the speakers...if you don't like em send them back and order Philharmonic bmr's or ascend 2ex's... Either will compete with the revel Be's at half the cost...
Sorry I'm into revel speakers. My center and surrounds are also revel so they are all tuned evenly in my room.

tw 2022

Sorry I'm into revel speakers. My center and surrounds are also revel so they are all tuned evenly in my room.
Nothing wrong with that...edit: it's just gonna cost more for the same level of performance...

Top Bottom