• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 138 55.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters

Confused

Somewhere on this website I found a table of tested speakers with points rating. There was also a recommendation for a pair of budget speakers that tested very good for its price. Can someone please help me find this page again?

Petevid

You have to click on speakers on this link, then if you click on the preference heading it re-orders them according to preference score.

For some reason the site won't let me create a link straight to the Speakers review page where they can ordered according to preference ranking

Confused

You have to click on speakers on this link, then if you click on the preference heading it re-orders them according to preference score.

For some reason the site won't let me create a link straight to the Speakers review page where they can ordered according to preference ranking

Great, thanks! It's still not the page that I'm looking for but very useful.

whislai

I'm not sure what's wrong with your `scienctific` review, I'm with this only Wharfedale heritage model for years, 2 sets, older or newer models does not win me over and over again, always my cup of tea this model...and I bet 100% this is the only model that strike price, performance, and music fidelity...people always said this Denton 80th is warm and rich...that is not the correct description for me.

ameerm

I bought a pair of these speakers locally used for $200 a few weeks back. I think they sound pretty good other than some bass bloom on the lower end. Just because I was curious after seeing these measurements and the resonances I decided to take them apart and see how they were made. Thought I'd share the pictures here for others to enjoy.

First, there is quite a lot of batting material in the box and it sounds pretty inert when knocking on it. Also there's a cross brace in the middle of the speaker.
Second, the basket of the woofer is plastic, I've never seen this before and it surprised me. I went ahead and added some dynamat material to the basket in case it's causing some of the resonances.
Third The tweeter is very heavy, magnet structure is rather large from what I've seen.
This is interesting. I opened my denton which was purchased almost 10 years ago and the basket is metal.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 85

DOuG pRATt

This is interesting. I opened my denton which was purchased almost 10 years ago and the basket is metal.
As HAL would say, "Yes... it's puzzling." I'm not going to open up my two pairs of Denton 80's, but perhaps the 9-year-old units have a metal basket. It appears to be a cast basket.

Attachments

• Denton Cabinets.jpg
    Denton Cabinets.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 71

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Super Denton (6,5" + 2" + 1"):
ouch, I like the Linton, very good speaker for the money, but that design screams anachronism. At least put the drivers in a line. It would be a miracle if that dome midrange measured well, but hopes are not high.

AJM1981

Thanks, @amirm. That EIR is definitely a deal breaker to me... o_O

To my knowledge, this has been discontinued for a while. The actual Denton is the 85th Anniversary, released back in 2019, before the (very good) Linton 85th :
View attachment 346176
I hope it would do better...
Should be. It is built differently and also has a different sound signature. Some reviews speak of a "hot tweeter" because they compare it to the previous Denton which is reviewed here (the reviewer even went as far to adding a resistor to 'tame the tweeter.. bit ridiculous for a review in my opinion) , but I think they have made improvements. I own this 85th anniversary edition and I wonder about the review here in the future. Wharfedale recommends to keep the grilles attached to counter standing waves. But I don't know if that makes so much of a difference on average listening volumes, probably slightly measurable (?).. but haven't noticed any difference. I do like the optical design more with the grilles on.

Last edited:

AJM1981

It's pity they degrade the trust earned from Linton. I chose revel because of trust..
The current Denton 85th anniversary edition (not the previous model reviewed here) is a scaled down version of their current Linton 85th anniversary edition. So, no reputation problems. The 80th anniversary edition has its fanbase too, but I have never used it personally. I like the bottom-room the Denton 85th has and everything feels well balanced. I would be surprised if measuring results would be negative, but numbers tell as well.

Anatoly70

Mine also metal.
BTW I have measured Impedance and Phase curves of my pair and neither indicates any resonance around 300Hz.

Attachments

• wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-limited-edition.jpg
    wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-limited-edition.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 26

Mr Vinyl

I've had 80th since a number of years now and they not bright at all. I'm sensitive to treble and these things can make you fall asleep to Rammstein. My Arcam Solo isn't a particularly dark amp either. The Dentons sound very similar to my 1994 Paradigm Studio Monitors.

Top Bottom