• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Jmart

No-one seriously claims that it does.
There is however, a perfectly good explanation with lots of science behind it, which superbly explains why people hear differences in these sorts of products
Agreed, one can hear a difference nearly based on preconditioning. That doesn’t mean that all differences not shown with some objective data point is due to this.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agreed, one can hear a difference nearly based on preconditioning.
I don't know what you mean by that ?

That doesn’t mean that all differences not shown with some objective data point is due to this.
Trying to parse the negatives here :)
When all the differences disappear once you remove bias, what is left to explain those differences?

Jmart

@Jmart do you own this upscaler? What tracks do you think you hear differences with? Maybe it is just as simple as this device handling intersample overs which you can identify scientifically.

Have you tried Sony DSEE (free via Music Center PC app) or PGGB-Foobar? For all the love there is for tweaks, there are some great free ones that can beat expensive gear.
Negative. I don’t own one and have never heard one. I don’t even plan on getting one.

But I was interested in the reviews and have read and seen several of them. They are rather consistent except this one on this forum. Doesn’t make sense to me why except that said measurements ‘say’ there shouldn’t be one. So said listener is biased to that conclusion.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Edit: nevermind, I'm going to stop feeding the obvious troll. I don't argue with anti-vaxxers for the same reason.

Geert

Major Contributor
But I was interested in the reviews and have read and seen several of them. They are rather consistent except this one on this forum. Doesn’t make sense to me why except that said measurements ‘say’ there shouldn’t be one. So said listener is biased to that conclusion.
And the people reading all the subjective reviews, the marketing material and spending a small fortune on the device are less biased?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Negative. I don’t own one and have never heard one. I don’t even plan on getting one.

"I only saw 400 immunization experts saying the vaccine is safe, but there are thousands of people on Facebook saying it isn't. So those immunization experts must be biased. Clearly they are wrong."

Jmart

I don't know what you mean by that ?

Trying to parse the negatives here :)
When all the differences disappear once you remove bias, what is left to explain those differences?
The idea that if you precondition a response you’re more likely to perceive it.

Say, if I’m listening closely to the highs, I will notice them more, therefore they are more prominent.

If there is no bias then you have more accurate data. We don’t really have subjectively unbiased or confounded data. Hence why I’m accumulating non-objective (and yes relatively weaker) data to form a larger perspective. Think of it as a meta analysis of sorts.

Jmart

"I only saw 400 immunization experts saying the vaccine is safe, but there are thousands of people on Facebook saying it isn't. So those immunization experts must be biased. Clearly they are wrong."
The 400 immunization experts have large, controlled, double blinded, and RCTs to support their claims. There is nothing subjective about this. And if there is it’s far less relevant than determining if an audio product improves my sound.

I am an audiophile. There is subjectivity to music….. two completely different topics….

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Then you have your answer that harmonizes the YouTubers and Amir’s measurements. The feature responsible for audible differences is correction of intersample overs which is content dependent and can be audible according to even companies like Benchmark.

End debate.

Jmart

Then you have your answer that harmonizes the YouTubers and Amir’s measurements. The feature responsible for audible differences is correction of intersample overs which is content dependent and can be audible according to even companies like Benchmark.

End debate.
Interesting, where can I learn more about this?

And where can I read what benchmark has said about it?

Appreciate the references!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The 400 immunization experts have large, controlled, double blinded, and RCTs to support their claims. There is nothing subjective about this. And if there is it’s far less relevant than determining if an audio product improves my sound.

I am an audiophile. There is subjectivity to music….. two completely different topics….
Oh, now we reached a state of cognitive dissonance. This is hilarious.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just my 2 pence.
The mscaler is designed on a concept and a belief, that its elaborate interpolated upscaling using a million taps, increases perceived clarity, depth of image and so on.
I do not want to go into whether it is a valid concept or belief, suffice that it was designed with that in mind. Some call it magic, some call it voodoo, I call it barely detectable, but it doesn't matter.
The point is that in a lab, doing an objective test and measurement, it beggars belief that it could beat a straight wire! It is a DSP circuit, and no circuit is lossless, noiseless etc.
So I never expected fantastic lab results in the first place.
Amir is very correct about perception vs hearing. I say that mscaler works on the basis of perception, and that has got a lot of unscientific corners to it.
I accept the measurement results, indeed they are better than I had expected.
But I spent an hour with mscaler/Dave, playing my own material into my own headphones (things I was familiar with), and although at times I perceived a change in sound quality, though very minor, I am sure in a blind test I couldn't say which was which.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On what basis? How do you know they are right? Audio science says that any test of products like this demands controlled testing. How many of these tests did you read about CHORD?
The actual error here is assuming what their job is. Reviewers are there to sell consumers interest to companies, not to give you an honest opinion.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hey, got this thread up to 90 pages! How exciting

So, your contributions to this thread are at an end. I don't see any effort at good faith communication, and this is just mediocre trolling.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is there anything worse than mediocre trolling!
Keith

Top Bottom