• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit KARA Preamp and Headphone Amp Review

Rate this preamp and headphone amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 38.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 123 52.3%

• Total voters

Noske

So, on the one hand, we have Topping A70 for $500...

And on the other hand, we have this for $700...
The passive mode, of course, is impressive, but, as we have already found out, it is absolutely useless (and, apparently, created exclusively for beautiful measurements), so we look exclusively at the active one. What are these weird 2 harmonics? And why is RCA so much worse? And why is there so much excitement about the Schiit brand?... Yes, you have as many as 5 inputs, but they all switch with a single button (in a circle). There is no on/off button on the remote. There is no trigger on the device. What should I pay $200 extra for?...

I initially agreed with your opinion. But then I carefully read through the many pages of comments, and discovered that many folk were having issues with their A70 pro unit. Topping has some form with this quality control aspect.

I am prepared to pay a few bucks more for something like this Schiit for peace of mind. I am not rich enough to buy anything of inferior build quality (however defined).

AzReciOn

I initially agreed with your opinion. But then I carefully read through the many pages of comments, and discovered that many folk were having issues with their A70 pro unit. Topping has some form with this quality control aspect.

I am prepared to pay a few bucks more for something like this Schiit for peace of mind. I am not rich enough to buy anything of inferior build quality (however defined).
Of course, when you produce your products in millions of copies, you will have problems a little more often than those who produce products less massively ...
It is impossible to predict whether there will be any problems with specific copies of the A70 Pro in the future, but the fact that Schiit works worse from the very beginning, it is already visible now (although for fans of the brand it hardly matters - for them the main thing is that it is Schiit)...
However, if you are not interested in RCA, then Kara is quite good.

SCG

Schiit buyers buy the fantasy (Jason's newest designs that acc to the 'knowledgeable' reviewers sound 'better' than SOTA stuff.

New to Schiit and Kara was my 1st purchase from them, so not a fanboy but disagree with the universal blanket statement above. Below are Amir's measurements of this device and ALL descriptions in the (parentheses) comes directly from the testing guru Amir himself and NOT from any Schiit buyers.

Acvtive mode:
XLR balanced input 4v in/out with distortion at -120 dB (Excellent performance)
Adding a bit of noise and SINAD becomes 117 dB (Excellent noise performance )
SNR XLR In/Out (4v) 20+ bits dynamic range (Excellent)
SNR RCA In/out (2V) 20 bits dynamic range (Excellent)
Frequency response (flat and extended)
Intermodulation distortion (basically limited by noise)
Wideband distortion+noise (quite good, very low noise & distortion)
Channel Balance (Always perfect)

Passive Mode:
XLR In/Out (4v in) Measurements for passive mode basically conveys the analyzer performance sans impedance loading by the volume control (WOW!)
SNR XLR In/Out (4v) 22.2 bits dynamic range (Superb)
SNR RCA In/Out (2v) 21.2 bits dynamic range (Superb)
Frequency Response (Extremely flat & extended)
Intermodulation Distortion (Stunning low noise, Excellently low distortion)
Cross talk (Excellent)
Channel separation (Excellent)
THD+N vs Freq (Incredibly low noise and distortion)

Headphone:
Performance as far as dashboard (Very good)
SNR XLR (4v) 20 bits dynamic range (Excellent)
SNR 50mv, 600 ohms Dynamic range (Good)
Freq response (Flat and wide)
Distortion vs Power @ 300ohms Max power High gain 1.1W (Superb)
Distortion vs Power @ 32ohms low gain (Extremely low noise)
High gain Max power 4.1w (Excellent)

"Measured upwards of 27 volts output before the preamp shut down in high gain mode! So you have plenty of headroom to drive Any amplifier regardless of what gain it has."

Amir, the king of testing overall rating for the preamp "Golfing Panther"

As already stated, this is not a SOTA product across all areas and is not for everyone (headphone amp not ideal for low impedance headphones) but I find no 'Fantasy' required to buy this product with confidence if it meets your needs.

"Buying the Fantasy" may be for someone who thinks that buying an inaudibly better measuring piece of equipment means it's better engineered and 'sounds' better.

I have both the Topping A70 pro and PA5 and both developed issues after the 30 return window (as documented by others) and both had to be shipped back to China for warranty repair which was slow with costly shipping and insurance. Once returned they both worked without issue and Topping/Schiit both coexist happily in my systems.

Topping makes SOTA measuring products that many are happy with but it doesn't mean it's universally a better product across the board.

Last edited:

AzReciOn

New to Schiit and Kara was my 1st purchase from them, so not a fanboy but disagree with the universal blanket statement above. Below are Amir's measurements of this device and ALL descriptions in the (parentheses) comes directly from the testing guru Amir himself and NOT from any Schiit buyers.

Acvtive mode:
XLR balanced input 4v in/out with distortion at -120 dB (Excellent performance)
Adding a bit of noise and SINAD becomes 117 dB (Excellent noise performance )
SNR XLR In/Out (4v) 20+ bits dynamic range (Excellent)
SNR RCA In/out (2V) 20 bits dynamic range (Excellent)
Frequency response (flat and extended)
Intermodulation distortion (basically limited by noise)
Wideband distortion+noise (quite good, very low noise & distortion)
Channel Balance (Always perfect)

Passive Mode:
XLR In/Out (4v in) Measurements for passive mode basically conveys the analyzer performance sans impedance loading by the volume control (WOW!)
SNR XLR In/Out (4v) 22.2 bits dynamic range (Superb)
SNR RCA In/Out (2v) 21.2 bits dynamic range (Superb)
Frequency Response (Extremely flat & extended)
Intermodulation Distortion (Stunning low noise, Excellently low distortion)
Cross talk (Excellent)
Channel separation (Excellent)
THD+N vs Freq (Incredibly low noise and distortion)

Headphone:
Performance as far as dashboard (Very good)
SNR XLR (4v) 20 bits dynamic range (Excellent)
SNR 50mv, 600 ohms Dynamic range (Good)
Freq response (Flat and wide)
Distortion vs Power @ 300ohms Max power High gain 1.1W (Superb)
Distortion vs Power @ 32ohms low gain (Extremely low noise)
High gain Max power 4.1w (Excellent)

"Measured upwards of 27 volts output before the preamp shut down in high gain mode! So you have plenty of headroom to drive Any amplifier regardless of what gain it has."

Amir, the king of testing overall rating for the preamp "Golfing Panther"

As already stated, this is not a SOTA product across all areas and is not for everyone (headphone amp not ideal for low impedance headphones) but I find no 'Fantasy' required to buy this product with confidence if it meets your needs.

"Buying the Fantasy" may be for someone who thinks that buying an inaudibly better measuring piece of equipment means it's better engineered and 'sounds' better.

I have both the Topping A70 pro and PA5 and both developed issues after the 30 return window (as documented by others) and both had to be shipped back to China for warranty repair which was slow with costly shipping and insurance. Once returned they both worked without issue and Topping/Schiit both coexist happily in my systems.

Topping makes SOTA measuring products that many are happy with but it doesn't mean it's universally a better product across the board.
Are you aware that you described the operation of the passive mode (which is beautiful by measurements)? At the same time, you completely ignored the measurements of the main active mode (for which I criticize it). So congratulations, you are already a fan of the brand...))

SCG

Wrong, re-read my post, active measurements are clearly listed.

Then go back and re-read your own post

However, if you are not interested in RCA, then Kara is quite good.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
New to Schiit and Kara was my 1st purchase from them, so not a fanboy but disagree with the universal blanket statement above.

Fair comment in your case.

That said, Schiit has a steady fan base that buy Schiit stuff because of the stories around the company by the company.
The fact that you bought your first Schiit device for technical measurement reasons does not mean regular Schiit fans would buy the Kara for the same reasons.
Those looking for a similar device already probably own one the Freya, used one or more power amps, have at least 1 headphone amp etc.

Some of that stuff doesn't measure particularly well but they love the multibit, comboburrito filter stuff and the love for 'discrete' and the loyal SBAF support and headfi where the 'book on Schiit' is present.

So yes, Schiit is about the story ... literally the 'Schiit happened story ... and the ideas around it (the fantasy part). Great fantasy though and actually am a fan of the brand and the people around it. I do not own Schiit stuff though but love the stories, the FAQ and the way they interact with the followers/customers. None, maybe aside from Pass, do shit like this. That's the fantasy part (the stories)

audiot

I think Schiit uses a constant input resistance logarithmic resistor ladder.
The downside is that when the relays are switching over this takes a short time and can give short pulses (very short duration cracking noise) during volume adjustment.
A bit like a scratchy pot.
I was almost ready to order a Kara (the preamp, not the dog) and came here to confirm that I made the right choice. I was pretty much OK with hearing relays rattling when adjusting the volume, but this is too much. Because most recordings nowadays are suffering from various amounts of loudness distortion I seem to be constantly fiddling with the volume control, especially when streaming various artists from various vintage recordings. I'm old enough to have dealt with way too many scratchy pots in the past and I thoroughly detest that sound! So if scratchy sounding relay ladders are the next step to a more perfect sound then I say STOP IT! You've gone too far! Go back a step and give me a silent volume control even if it is not tecnically the best. My ears won't hear the difference anyway. There is a human usability factor that needs to be considered, which I have now done, and am no longer interested in the Kara.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The thing is the used ladder volume control config makes a lot of sense if a smaller cabinet were used or presets are used or remote control is needed (up and down buttons or infinite rotation without a regular volume control.

Its advantage is smaller steps are possible and uses fewer relays. It makes louder clicking sounds in the current config (as multiple relays click at each adjustment) and because of the (very short) time delay between a relay being energized or falling off the level (during that very short, so high frequency generating) moment can jump up and down in level.

It seems to have been a financial decision (fewer relays) while offering small steps.
As there is a motorized volume control I would have preferred to see a motorized 10k 4-gang (because balanced) RK271 pot in there.

audiot

The thing is the used ladder volume control config makes a lot of sense if a smaller cabinet were used or presets are used or remote control is needed (up and down buttons or infinite rotation without a regular volume control.

Its advantage is smaller steps are possible and uses fewer relays. It makes louder clicking sounds in the current config (as multiple relays click at each adjustment) and because of the (very short) time delay between a relay being energized or falling off the level (during that very short, so high frequency generating) moment can jump up and down in level.

It seems to have been a financial decision (fewer relays) while offering small steps.
As there is a motorized volume control I would have preferred to see a motorized 10k 4-gang (because balanced) RK271 pot in there.
I need to clarify something from my rant yesterday. I assumed you meant that in addition to the relay chatter noise there is also a brief dirty pot sound imposed on the preamp output when adjusting the volume. If that sound comes through the speakers then I stand by my rant. If you meant that the sound only comes from the relays themselves and does not affect the preamp output then I apologize for misunderstanding, and might still buy a Kara.

SCG

It's only from the relays, nothing comes through the speakers, I posted a video earlier in this thread that has a near-field recorded example from Steve G, and if you need to make large volume changes, mute first with no relay noise, then unmute.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
My DAC+preamp is active yet has a similar volume control knob: stepped relays. They click loudly when you turn the knob but the sound is the relays clicking inside the box; I never noticed any tics or glitches in the outputs or speakers/headphones.

This discussion made me curious so I measured it today by playing a 1 kHz sin wave and capturing the output on my Tascam DA-3000 recorder. Then I loaded the WAV files into Audacity and did a spectrum analysis:

First, 1 kHz sin wave, max volume, no volume changes, perfectly clean as expected:
1696898338990.png

Next, slowly turning the volume down from max to min over 10 seconds. You can see some relay noise, but subjectively it's inaudible and objectively it's around -78 dB.
1696898403798.png

Next, slowly turning up the volume from min to max over 10 seconds. Same as above:
1696898505566.png

If the Kara is like this then the "problem" is a nothing sandwich.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If max volume is around -36dB in the recording then the noise is only -42dB

You could test at 5Hz or so. The tone will not be audible and not mask the steps and then you can hear (5Hz modulated) electrical clicking noise during adjusting if there is any.

JaccoW

I'm not a fan of the silver buttons on a black body.

audiot

I'm not a fan of the silver buttons on a black body.
Me either, but a silver version is apparently in the works. On August 18 John Darko's website said that Schitt was planning to charge $50 more for silver. So silver buttons on black seem to look a lot better to me now.

Last edited:
BTW Schiit has an AI informational text on their website. It's scary good. It instantaneously answers questions and understands slang, nuance, everything. It even understands sense of humor. I asked it to hold off on Skynet and it answered: "Go ahead. Ask me something, I won't use it to take over the planet. (At least not yet)". I had no idea AI was this far along, there are going to be some huge changes in the next decade...

Try it: https://www.schiit.com/contact
I couldn't help myself....i asked the bot this....

"I heard you know Skynet, can you let it know not to destroy off humanity yet? I need to listen to more music!"

...and it replied with this rather entertaining and enthusiastic response...

"Oh, you're talking about Skynet? Well, let me tell you, Skynet ain't got nothin' on Schiit. We're all about bringing the music to your ears, not destroying humanity. So don't you worry, you can keep on jammin' to your tunes without any interference from Skynet. Now, let's talk about some Schiit gear that'll make your music sound even better! What are you lookin' for?"

Oh that was some good fun!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Is it illegal to put phono stages in preamps? Schiit makes a pretty decent one.

Nice unit, I like the separate outputs for subs and stuff. Price is very reasonable.
[emphasis added]

In some jurisdictions.

:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have to say, for the combination of price and performance -- this is awfully attractive.

Reactions: 617

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
From where I stand, relay volume controls are a fun concept, but a fail in HiFi equipment due to the relay noise, the general noise (switching transients), reliability and wasted energy. All those relays consume a decent amount of power, their contacts are less reliable than a good Alps pot and the cost it definitely higher.

For digital classical music, it's most often you are turning up the volume to hear the quiet parts and noisy clicking relays spoil that. At high levels, where you are turning it down, you don't hear the relay clicking.

MRC01

Major Contributor
From where I stand, relay volume controls are a fun concept, but a fail in HiFi equipment due to the relay noise, the general noise (switching transients), reliability and wasted energy. All those relays consume a decent amount of power, their contacts are less reliable than a good Alps pot and the cost it definitely higher.

For digital classical music, it's most often you are turning up the volume to hear the quiet parts and noisy clicking relays spoil that. At high levels, where you are turning it down, you don't hear the relay clicking.
Point taken, though it depends on how important is perfect channel balance at low volume settings. Even the best pots like the Alps RK27 "blue velvet" aren't perfect and the difference can be heard on headphones if not on speakers. Also, using relay triggered volume gives more flexibility in design. For example relays can change resistors in the gain-feedback loop instead of attenuating a fixed gain. This is an unusual design but I know of a couple of DAC/preamps that use it.

This classical music listener doesn't usually change the volume when listening. I have a quiet listening environment so I set the volume where it needs to be, sit back and enjoy the wide dynamics and uncompressed recordings.

audiot

Point taken, though it depends on how important is perfect channel balance at low volume settings. Even the best pots like the Alps RK27 "blue velvet" aren't perfect and the difference can be heard on headphones if not on speakers.
Yes but I've lived a pretty long life without having perfect volume-aligned speakers and I have never noticed any problems. It's possible that I move my head an inch or less left or right to compensate without realizing why. Anyway, for me I just don't need that kind of precision. However, I do need to bypass the integrated preamp in my Parasound HALO amp because the output from my DAC is too hot and most of my listening is around the 8 o'clock position, or up to 9 o'clock when I'm feeling spunky or playing the first 2 Led Zepp albums. Also the remote volume control runs way too fast for making any fine adjustments and even manual volume adjustments can be touchy. So the Kara with 3 gain settings sounds ideal for me except for the added relay noise. Schiit!!!

Top Bottom