• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midgard Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 22.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 159 72.9%

• Total voters

oleg87

Good afternoon,

I recently have gotten into hi-fi audio and purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XXs.
I am just using the headphone output on my desktop computer and an Apple dongle for my iPhone.
I do not have an amp nor DAC and was wondering if the Midgard and Modius would work well with my headphones or would that be overkill for a beginner?
I saw a post earlier in this thread stating that the Midgard was not a balanced headphone amplifier and could somebody please clarify that statement?
Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
A single-ended amp has one output stage (per channel) that drives one terminal of each headphone driver, and the other just returns current to ground.

A "balanced" amplifier (kind of a misnomer, since you don't actually get the benefits of balanced interconnects elsewhere in the chain, and you more commonly see this arrangement called "bridge-tied load" in electronics literature, but anyhow...) has separate output stages driving each terminal of the driver, with the signal polarity inverted for one of them. This makes the headphone see double the voltage swing from the same power supply, which is potentially useful for portable/battery-powered devices where adding another op-amp or something may be more practical than adding higher-voltage supply rails. It has no other real advantage (maybe reduced stereo crosstalk from sharing one ground wire for left/right, but that's not really ever an issue), but with human hearing being biased to think "louder is better", placebo effect will favor the louder balanced output.

The Midgard is single-ended but it should have ample power for pretty much any headphone, including yours. It uses the XLR connector to implement the "Halo" thing.

spartan922

Would the Midgard work as a desktop preamp for a pair of Genelecs (active monitors) which use balanced inputs? Or would I be better served to seek out a truely balanced signal path?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would the Midgard work as a desktop preamp for a pair of Genelecs (active monitors) which use balanced inputs? Or would I be better served to seek out a truely balanced signal path?
The Midgard's Headphone Amp is single ended, but the preamp and XLR Line out should be proper balanced.

dreadknot

Forum Donor
is the midgard better or equal to the performance of the schiit magnius which i still have , iv been wanting a 2nd for another setup but now that its no longer carried would the midgard be a suitable alt

especially since its 20$ more then the magnius was before sh&tx an while i dont mind paying about 40$ more total for the same performance or a bit better but not less quality

so is it a safe bet to go for the midgard ?

Veri

Master Contributor
is the midgard better or equal to the performance of the schiit magnius which i still have , iv been wanting a 2nd for another setup but now that its no longer carried would the midgard be a suitable alt
Sure. I would say so, it's an indirect 'successor' to magnius of sorts

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning

especially since its 20$ more then the magnius was before sh&tx an while i dont mind paying about 40$ more total for the same performance or a bit better but not less quality

so is it a safe bet to go for the midgard ?
Magnius has a true balanced output if that matters to you.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It does on the pre-out but NOT on the headphone out.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I upgraded my office system from a Magni+ to the Midguard. Also went from a Loki+ to a Lokius.

The most obvious difference is the power. With my Senheiser HD650, on high gain, I always had the power at 1:00 with the Magni+. With the Midguard, going higher than 10:00 is too loud. It may be all placebo effect from getting new boxes, but everything sounds great. I like the additional EQ control from the Lokius.

I switched to using XLR cables and got one for the headphones too. XLR from the Eversolo DMP-A6 to the Lokius then to the Midguard. RCA output from the Midguard to the Saga S preamp (passive mode) which has outputs to powered speakers by my monitor and to a Fosi V3 amp for passive speakers (Sony SSCS5).

I know some don't think much of those Sony speakers, but I think they are perfect for a relatively small room and don't even need a separate subwoofer.

Sooo....I'm currently using my Midgard as an RCA S.E. signal "in" (from RME ADI-2 DAC FS) to XLR Out feeding a pair of powered monitors.

The XLR outputs of the RME are feeding other things (AHB2 + speakers).

If I read the review correctly: the S.E. input to XLR output is actually better than what the Schiit Kara preamp can muster for the same configuration!
And here I was thinking of upgrading from the Midgard to the Kara to improve the performance.

But I would like to get a better Walmart for the Midgard. Any suggestions?

What would you like this wallwart to accomplish?
1. I find the supplied wall-wart runs warm...maybe too warm.
2. Midgard runs quiet, but I wonder if a better wall-wart would improve anything with the Midgard. I haven't research much on this topic.
- For my RME, I am more than satisfied than the DC supply that comes with the unit fulfills its mission. I have tried a DC Li-Ion battery which works very well, but I do not see any discernable improvement.

That's it, that's all. Thanks for asking!

staticV3

Master Contributor
1. I find the supplied wall-wart runs warm...maybe too warm.
Yeah, it's a common issue with transformer wall warts. Not much you can do about it.

2. Midgard runs quiet, but I wonder if a better wall-wart would improve anything with the Midgard. I haven't research much on this topic.
It would not.
The Midgard's noise comes from its internal components.
The AC input is heavily filtered and does not contribute to output noise.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a common issue with transformer wall warts. Not much you can do about it.

It would not.
The Midgard's noise comes from it's internal components.
The AC input is heavily filtered and does not contribute to output noise.
Thanks. And yes, the Midgard runs quiet as is. I'm so impressed with this gem of a product.
I'll just order a spare Wall Wart as a backup...just in case.

dufferdan

I may have missed it in my read thru, but are the dimensions of the Midgard the same as the Modius? More specifically, can one swap out the Midgard for the Modius when using the Snake Oil XLR Mini Link?

well, looked at the Mini Link page and they are apparently listed together. So, for anyone else too tired to look, there ya go!

Top Bottom