• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 123 50.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 36.5%

• Total voters

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@SMSL-Mandy
Please stop, you are inundating us with a disproportionate number of DACs with the same functions and performances. Please give us peq equalization, we don't need 72 different forms of the same product, we need other features that currently cost at least 700 euros.
If I read again about another smsl dac with one input for each type, balanced and unbalanced outputs and 120db sinad, I will vomit

Last edited:

Massimo

@SMSL-Mandy
Please stop, you are inundating us with a disproportionate number of DACs with the same functions and performances. Please give us peq equalization, we don't need 72 different forms of the same product, we need other features that currently cost at least 700 euros.
If I read again about another smsl dac with one input for each type, balanced and unbalanced outputs and 120db synad, I will vomit
I 100% agree.

These DAC manufacturers have become measurebators and seem to be pre-occupied with trying to top the SINAD chart.

What about resolving basic needs like including a 12V trigger.

dtaylo1066

I disagree, keep the reviews coming. Though I agree that once these companies reach near SOTA, there is not much differentiation in new products. SMSL and Topping roll them out so fast, it is a blur. Well, that just makes it a moveable feast for consumers, something to rejoice in.

On the other hand, the next step from these producers rather than ad nauseum variations on a theme, needs to be more EQ capabilities as well as analog inputs. I'm now sure why I should buy any of these products over a MiniDSP flex, which is close enough to SOTA to be fine BUT also gives EQ, crossover and analog inputs.

Music1969

Major Contributor

SMSL DO300EX is cheaper and same DAC chip and same-ish performance looking at SMSL published measurements

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Why in the world have they fragmented their product line so much? Not only does this cause consumer confusion, it also must be very expensive for SMSL to maintain different production and supply chains for so many products.
Because a confused consumer is a happy consumer …smile…

Short38

Based on post in this thread I looked at the literature for the SMSL PL200. If it measures as advertised hasn’t SMSL just killed the cd player competition?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on post in this thread I looked at the literature for the SMSL PL200. If it measures as advertised hasn’t SMSL just killed the cd player competition?
"CD Player Competition", what do you mean? This is just a DAC that takes a digital signal and transforms it into analog, it's not the same thing as a CD player. (Also there's not much of a market for CD players that might well include a DAC or sometimes not if it's just something like a USB external CD player, which is all you need for a CD player, about £14).

Reactions: MCH

Short38

"CD Player Competition", what do you mean? This is just a DAC that takes a digital signal and transforms it into analog, it's not the same thing as a CD player. (Also there's not much of a market for CD players that might well include a DAC or sometimes not if it's just something like a USB external CD player, which is all you need for a CD player, about £14).
Unless I looked at the wrong product, the PL 200 is a top loading player/dac+. I was thinking about products like the Marantz 30n, Rotel 6000, Technics plus esoteric brands. The latter products sell for $2,500 up.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless I looked at the wrong product, the PL 200 is a top loading player/dac+. I was thinking about products like the Marantz 30n, Rotel 6000, Technics plus esoteric brands. The latter products sell for $2,500 up.

The 30n is a pretty exotic SACD player, you have to compare to the CD60.

Which measures plenty for CD, has a good remote, a powered CD loading tray, replacement parts and US based warranty/service.

The biggest issue for CD is how quickly it reads the TOC and how it handles scratched or damaged CDs. Marantz is actually quite good at this.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@SMSL-Mandy
If I read again about another smsl dac with one input for each type, balanced and unbalanced outputs and 120db sinad, I will vomit
@SMSL-Mandy

This is what the international market wants (or at least what I think the international market wants)
  1. Players that play CD and SACD.
  2. Preamp with 3 sets of XLR outputs for people who wants to bi-amp and stereo subs.
  3. Unique or innovative features, examples such as: Resetting volume level to low after a power cycle to prevent your speakers from blowing. Ability to adjust input and output gain. DACs with multiple optical inputs and multiple XLR outputs.
  4. All products offered in full sized 430mm wide casework with an option of silver casework. North Americans don't have living space restrictions like many consumers in Asia do.
THD+N is no longer a selling point, you have to be innovation with features.

If a DAC or amp measures well regarding distortion at 1kz, does that mean the same holds true for other audible frequencies? If not, why aren't the other frequencies measures?-or measured in combination with others? Just curious.

Talisman

Forum Donor
If a DAC or amp measures well regarding distortion at 1kz, does that mean the same holds true for other audible frequencies? If not, why aren't the other frequencies measures?-or measured in combination with others? Just curious.
Multitone

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a sweep from 20 to 20 kHz as well as multitone that was mentioned.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Meh. Sure, it has lots of inputs, but for most users, is there any compelling reason to buy this rather than the SMSL D-6s?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My issue with these never ending DACs from SMSL or Topping and others is that, while they measure awesomely, their feature set is *not* SOTA.

A DAC these days, to have any appeal to me, needs to either be integrated as a preamp or as a full integrated amp. Features I'd expect are:

1. Good measurements, but anything higher than 96dB is fine as far as I am concerned.
2. Reliable volume control.
3. Sub out with configurable xover point.
4. Option to add room correction, either integrated or easy to integrate.

I know there are now active speakers that integrate the whole lot (including steaming support for current APIs from the major players), but that borders on too much integration for me. I doubt I can trust a single device to be the best at *everything*, ranging from UI to the features above to longevity in software support. And the stand-alone DACs don't really provide a way to address those key concerns, they just represent -at best- irrelevant and inaudible improvements over the stand-alone boxes that preceded them. We have had DACs that provide great measurements for 20bit performance for over 20 years. It's time for feature sets to take over that market, not just plop the latest Sabre or TI or AD chip into the design and celebrate.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
My issue with these never ending DACs from SMSL or Topping and others is that, while they measure awesomely, their feature set is *not* SOTA.

A DAC these days, to have any appeal to me, needs to either be integrated as a preamp or as a full integrated amp. Features I'd expect are:

1. Good measurements, but anything higher than 96dB is fine as far as I am concerned.
2. Reliable volume control.
3. Sub out with configurable xover point.
4. Option to add room correction, either integrated or easy to integrate.

I know there are now active speakers that integrate the whole lot (including steaming support for current APIs from the major players), but that borders on too much integration for me. I doubt I can trust a single device to be the best at *everything*, ranging from UI to the features above to longevity in software support. And the stand-alone DACs don't really provide a way to address those key concerns, they just represent -at best- irrelevant and inaudible improvements over the stand-alone boxes that preceded them. We have has DACs that provide great measurements for 20bit performance for over 20 years. It's time for feature sets to take over that market, not just plop the latest Sabre or TI od AD into the design and celebrate.
Yes, but, this is because we are (more than) a bit spoilt for choice these days. 10 years ago everyone would say "shut up and take my money", while in 10 years time we probably will want a coffee machine built in LOL. Progress is a nice thing.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... Progress is a nice thing.

I agree, mostly - but real progress is seldom just a "more of the same" extrapolation in the exact same direction with very marginal improvements as a result. What *is* really interesting is something disruptive that no one else thought about, or that someone perfects so it "crosses the chasm" from a niche project to big market demand.

It kinda reminds me of the horsepower race with with motorcycles. 20 years ago everybody wanted the fastest baddest highest HP sportsbike. Anyone with half a brain knows that motorcycles over 100HP need major electronics so that the vast majority of riders don't brain themselves riding the bike out of the dealer lot. And now the largest segment of the motorcycle market are approachable, do it all adventure bikes or throw-back cafe racer designs from the 80s, really. "More of the same" inevitably reaches a saturation point.

Top Bottom