• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Rutarauko

Other people are also tempted :) but there are no "subjective" reviews around. I think those are also important....

Not a review, but if you want some subjective impressions...

A friend and I did a quick A/B, comparing the D70 with an Apogee Symphony I/O 8x8 (using AES/EBU inputs with a 44.1/16 source)

Both of us very marginally preferred the Apogee. The two DACs sounded quite similar, definitely in the same league: clean, detailed, no coloration, good imaging... all that non-objective stuff. The Apogee seemed to have just a little more dynamics in the low frequencies (in that particular sound chain), that was all.

So: really good subjective impression in such a short listening session for a less-than-500 DAC.

Regards: Rutarauko

chosen_too

Not a review, but if you want some subjective impressions...

A friend and I did a quick A/B, comparing the D70 with an Apogee Symphony I/O 8x8 (using AES/EBU inputs with a 44.1/16 source)

Both of us very marginally preferred the Apogee. The two DACs sounded quite similar, definitely in the same league: clean, detailed, no coloration, good imaging... all that non-objective stuff. The Apogee seemed to have just a little more dynamics in the low frequencies (in that particular sound chain), that was all.

So: really good subjective impression in such a short listening session for a less-than-500 DAC.

Regards: Rutarauko

So it worth upgrading from topping D50? With Gustard x26 it's obvious, d70 is black horse for me.

Rutarauko

Since Apogee Symphony I/O 8x8 is VERY expensive, it looks like Topping has done some really good job here!
:)

I think the Apogee was like 4000 € (a few years ago) but, to be fair, D70 is a two channel DAC and the Symphony is 8 channel DAC plus 8 channel ADC (and headphone output...). As all the channels share the same chassis, PSU, design, etc Apogee have some savings there so Topping is probably cheaper in comparison... but not by so big a margin. Great value for the money anyway!

DeepSpace57

Just really really silly question to such a science-based forum; but somehow wanna ask. I, an user of only usb interface, would like you to learn opinions from the impact of USB cable (particularly silver proportion on its alloy) on overall sound quality.

I have read a few times that you can gain some benefit only if you use a good dac. As i plan to buy D70, just wondering if i need a usb cable like AQ carbon to able to get better sound overall.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just really really silly question to such a science-based forum; but somehow wanna ask. I, an user of only usb interface, would like you to learn opinions from the impact of USB cable (particularly silver proportion on its alloy) on overall sound quality.

I have read a few times that you can gain some benefit only if you use a good dac. As i plan to buy D70, just wondering if i need a usb cable like AQ carbon to able to get better sound overall.

Please please please don't buy that crap. Amir has actually shown that, if anything, the shortness of the cable seems to have a slight impact rather than the materials and other mumbo jumbo, and that is only with crap DACs like Modi 2 Uber. On a 'normal' DAC there won't be any change. Read this one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ent-and-review-of-totaldac-d1-usb-cable.1888/
And maybe this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-wireworld-starlight-7-usb-cable.6599/

In any case no audible differences with any of these experiments, given a proper engineered DAC and not a shite one.
For the D70 there is no point buying such snake oil. Freaking hate the AQ brand ripping off consumers world-wide.

lke7777777

There is nothing to do. Windows recognizes both as different sound devices. You just have to tell your player which one to use of it doesn't have that feature, make the one you want the default one in the Sound control panel.

i have both model after install but only d70 after reboot my pc...two seen not display correctly after reboot..and d0 only show usb device not found after reboot..so suck

I did the test, with and without Y capacitors. The low frequency noise did not change at all. Instead, the capacitance on a digital power supply rail is 3.300uF and the ripple is 250mVp-p 50hz. Somehow, some of that ripple is injected in the analogue ground. I was double at 6.600uF and the result is a better low frequency noise with -6dB. The ripple is 130mVp-p. So, in my opinion, 3.300uF/25v it is a little too small. The digital rail voltage is 7,4v so, the 25v capacitor is not necessary. For the same dimensions at 10v they can put a bigger capacitance. I don't know, maybe even 10.000uF. Anyway, Topping D70 is a very very good dac without any change. Great job Topping ;) !

ceausuc

I experimented with Usb cables a little since I discovered that these also matter.

If you can (If you have a very small pc/laptop or something like that) you should try for a while something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Ty...687088?hash=item28243d4570:g:IN4AAOSwucVbPHqG
It's probably one of the best USB cables available :) and will help you evaluate the impact of a very good USB cable to you audio chain.
If you like what you hear then you can think of a better USB cable that can be used in your actual setup.

At the moment I'm using a very short (~4cm) DIY USB cable.
I tried longer cables ~ 10 cm and these do not sound as good even if I made them with the same silver wire.
Disappointing really since it's not nice to keep pc and dac that close.
I plan trying other lengths (<10cm) but I haven't found the time yet/maybe other kind of wire sometimes...
I think the wire also matters, I tried a ~10 cm cable with wire taken from a CAT cable and it was disappointing.

It's very easy to make DIY USB cables so you could try that. AQ Carbon is probably a good option too :)

As I always say these kind of findings are 100% dependent on how transparent your system really is.
I'm pretty sure none of these can be actually heard on my cheap home speakers for instance (my headphones are a different story).

Veri

Master Contributor
It's probably one of the best USB cables available :) and will help you evaluate the impact of a very good USB cable to you audio chain.
If you like what you hear then you can think of a better USB cable that can be used in your actual setup.
I tried longer cables ~ 10 cm and these do not sound as good even if I made them with the same silver wire.

Come on man this is not head-fi. Let's not go there. Nothing what you just said is even remotely reliable information.
Short/stub connections should only make a difference with really badly engineered DACs, as shown by amir in the referenced threads above.

Making people spend money on silvery shiny cables because you ancedotally think (unverified) it makes a difference is not something I like to see here at ASR ... Also the "you cannot hear this on a cheap system" argument is almost as cheap as the referenced cheap system .....

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Come on man this is not head-fi. Let's not go there. Nothing what you just said is even remotely reliable information.
Short/stub connections should only make a difference with really badly engineered DACs, as shown by amir in the referenced threads above.

Making people spend money on silvery shiny cables because you ancedotally think (unverified) it makes a difference is not something I like to see here at ASR ... Also the "you cannot hear this on a cheap system" argument is almost as cheap as the referenced cheap system .....
I spend my $0.99 on negligible improvements with well-engineered DACs AND I DO IT PROUDLY.

EReich

I am so torn between this and the D50! I have the Atom on the way and I need a DAC.. I also have THX 789 coming this august. Getting this would hit birds with one stone having RCA and XLR outs but its like almost 3 times the price of the D50 which is on sale @ amazon right now for $179

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't know if you're going to get much from the XLRs, but the D50 will stack up nicely with the Atom and save you $250+.

EReich

I don't know if you're going to get much from the XLRs, but the D50 will stack up nicely with the Atom and save you $250+.
I got nothing o_O Now I'm second guessing my purchase of the 789
Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.

gvl

Major Contributor
I got nothing o_O Now I'm second guessing my purchase of the 789
Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.

The 789 has "balanced" outputs for the headphones, it has its own benefits and unrelated to its XLRs/balanced inputs.

EReich

The 789 has "balanced" outputs for the headphones, it has its own benefits and unrelated to its XLRs/balanced inputs.
So if I use RCA to feed the 789.. Can I still use the XLR output just for more power? or is it strictly RCA in RCA out and XLR in XLR out.

gvl

Major Contributor
Interesting.. Now I just wish the D50 has two outputs though.. So I can get the Atom and 789 hooked up simultaneously.

The 789 has pass-through outputs, I don't know if they are buffered likely not so they are the same as using a Y-cable which you can also do.

Top Bottom