• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo Project" : Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A Amplifier

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At any rate, I think that what is 'upstream' from the amplifier matters with regard to whether a fet input might sound better over a bipolar, or vice versa.
That is not how it works.

An amplifier only responds to the voltage on it's input. That voltage is unaffected by whether the input stage is based on fet or bipolar (or any other type) of op amp.

Similarly a source only sees the input impedance of the amplifier. This is dominated by the input resistors in the input buffer circuit. FET or Bipolar op amps will not make a significant difference here. Probably not even measurable in the audio signal. Certainly not audible.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
As wanna be final user, music lover, tech ignorant, considering the total budget +/- 600 euro for 2x monos, all included (less assembly), then Apollon prices for ncx500 do not seem so high. Not a hater, just trying to make sense of my budget.

Hummmm here in Europe the Apollon Ncx500 is about 1500€ Vat included..... It is a consequent budget.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yeap, I am in Europe. Ncx500 is 1090 +19%

Get the 3E audio 260-2-29A with a solid PSU > you will get about 2x100W/8R. For a very fair price you can DIY a beautiful amp ))

SMen

That is not how it works.

An amplifier only responds to the voltage on it's input. That voltage is unaffected by whether the input stage is based on fet or bipolar (or any other type) of op amp.

Similarly a source only sees the input impedance of the amplifier. This is dominated by the input resistors in the input buffer circuit. FET or Bipolar op amps will not make a significant difference here. Probably not even measurable in the audio signal. Certainly not audible.
Thank you for the information regarding the amplifier responding to the voltage on it's input, and the source seeing the input impedance of the amplifier. :)

brunes

Or run 2 3e of a single microaudio or other 600w SMPS for...i don't know what thats called

Overseas

Major Contributor
Hi, does this model seem like the revised version ?

Do you have any recommendation for the related power module on Audiophonics, nothing fancy, but approrpiate ?
I am trying to make a decision for ordering, but not being the assambler, you know.

Edit: I see 2 boards on the net, one of them 480-1-23A.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I finally ordered as per your original list, same power module :)
Anyway, my assembly will take some time.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi, does this model seem like the revised version ?

Do you have any recommendation for the related power module on Audiophonics, nothing fancy, but approrpiate ?
I am trying to make a decision for ordering, but not being the assambler, you know.

Edit: I see 2 boards on the net, one of them 480-1-23A.

Indeed :

1712766345341.png

23A version (iwith nductors 7G23B and APG2923) is the China customized version

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi amigos,

Here the new revision of the 3E Audio 260-2-29A / 480-1-29A

View attachment 361566

View attachment 361567

Bruno Putzeys of Purifi indicates he prefers the TI OPA1656 even though on paper the OPA1612 looks better. His explanation is, "It's worth getting a hold of the OPA1656 as it’s input impedance is higher and much more linear than the OPA1612. The OPA1656 will perform better in many applications.”

I just received a Purifi based Boxem 4215/E2 and it sounds wonderful. Boxem builds it with the OPA1656 instead of the standard OPA1612 that was part of the original Purifi interface board. I have the OPA1612 in the March Audio P452 Purifi amp. It sounds great too. So while Bruno prefers the OPA1656, I wouldn't discard a build with the OPA1612. So many choices. :)

To hear Bruno's discussion on OPA1656 scroll forward to 33.01 on the video below. It's possible the OPA1656 vs OPA1612 difference may be preferred with the 3E Audio 260-2-29A build too?

Overseas

Major Contributor
@daniboun
Would you please post again a current shopping list, as in first post (some links do not work anymore) ?
Preferrably on Audiophonics.
People surely find inspiration on your topic, so if you can post some links (as examples) with all accessories, we can take it from there.
Like: I need some RCA sockets, speaker terminals etc but I am not sure about exact type and the sales guys will not give me counsel on a DIY project.

Many thanks

brunes

Daniboun is the master here... but I also shared with someone by chat my audiophonics order..can share if.you are interested.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Daniboun is the master here... but I also shared with someone by chat my audiophonics order..can share if.you are interested.
Yes, please.
I will order all stuff, someone will help with the assembly BUT I am not into electronics and my cousin is not into audio.

brunes

You will need some heat shrink and a multimeter, I'm assuming you have that.
12554 SCHURTER IEC + fuse holder 5x20mm. x1 (or with a switch if you want it)
6210 Screw TBHC crowned head Steel 10.9 Black BTR M3x10mm (x10). x2 you need 6 per 3e board check length based on your case
4378 Timed Fuse 5x20mm 6 (for SMPS micro audio) for 230v..check for you
6209 TBHC head screws stainless steel A2 BTR M4x20mm (x10). these are too long, 5 would do I think. Mounting of SMPS
11417 ELECAUDIO ADIACIUM GB Extensible PET braided sleeve Nylon 4-11mm coulple of M. I had different colours from other projects. You will also need some heat shrink
17401 GD900 Gray Thermal Paste Syringe 30g. this is way to much get whatever
13019 XH 2.54mm Female to Bare wires Cable 3 Poles 1 Connectors Gray 30cm 24AWG (Unit)
x2 ( you need to remove them and rewire them as they don't match the 3e board. Its + - shield I think and the cable is + sheild -. You can remove them with a knife and put them back in

Insulated Female Blade Terminal 6.3mm 0.5-1.3mm² Red (x10)​

www.audiophonics.fr

Insulated Female Blade Terminal 6.3mm 1-2mm² Blue (x10) - Audiophonics

10 x cosses femelle isolées nylon 1- 2mm² dimensions : 21 x 10.5 x 2.3 pour câble de 1 à 2mm² (awg 14 à 16) quantité : 10
www.audiophonics.fr

Also some locking washers..
1712830455609.png

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Amigos, I'm going to be quite busy these next few days. I am currently preparing my "Bamboo V2" project with quite a few surprises to come probably.... I have reached an agreement with the German lab and we will measure it via APx555) This will give us a good idea of the 3E Audio PFFB REV B )
In my next thread, I will introduce you to who works behind the private lab and the hazards we experienced during the first contact)

:)

MCH

Major Contributor
@daniboun
In case you are not aware, @mcdn has a cool project that would allow you to measure power amplifiers yourself. I think it could be interesting for someone keen on building amps like you are. Also it involves printing your own PCBs, component selection etc, what imo makes it more interesting.
You could do as many combinations of amps and power supplies as you want and measure every single possibility.
Don't know the current status of the project, but there is a lot of information here:

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun
In case you are not aware, @mcdn has a cool project that would allow you to measure power amplifiers yourself. I think it could be interesting for someone keen on building amps like you are. Also it involves printing your own PCBs, component selection etc, what imo makes it more interesting.
You could do as many combinations of amps and power supplies as you want and measure every single possibility.
Don't know the current status of the project, but there is a lot of information here:

Interesting and makes sense.
But my knowledge of measurements is too limited and I think that the APx555 still remains a reference analyzer on the market.

You can also make good measurements with the Cosmos ADC but you need to add an LPF filter as explained here :

This is what Archimago uses for their measurements

Overseas

Major Contributor
Dumb question:
can I use RCA sockets with 3e module or XLR is mandatory ?!

Top Bottom