• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo Project" : Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A Amplifier

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Overseas

Major Contributor
No way.
So I either use combined XLR - RCA cables (opinions ?!) or RETURN unpacked.

surroundman

@brunes thank you for the extensive list. Could you please suggest alternative components/connectors that can work with no soldering at all? Thanks.

brunes

@brunes thank you for the extensive list. Could you please suggest alternative components/connectors that can work with no soldering at all? Thanks.
Hmm not aware of that... need to solder to the speaker out. Anyone else?

Iec power plug can use fast-on but better to solder.

Prettt easy to solder, nothing on the board.to.solder so nothing to mess up.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Option to use a rca to xlr cable ?
It won't work very well. The RCA to XLR will only drive one side of the differential XLR input (you might as well use an RCA input and only connect it to one of the differential inputs of the amp)

Result = 1/2 voltage = 1/4 power. (Assuming it works at all)

Your best bet will be to include a single ended to differential circuit in the amp. You can get them relatively cheaply from Ali express or ebay.

amix

In my next thread, I will introduce you to who works behind the private lab and the hazards we experienced during the first contact)
Ah, very nice! Drama (of others ) is always entertaining! ;)

Overseas

Major Contributor
It won't work very well. The RCA to XLR will only drive one side of the differential XLR input (you might as well use an RCA input and only connect it to one of the differential inputs of the amp)

Result = 1/2 voltage = 1/4 power. (Assuming it works at all)

Your best bet will be to include a single ended to differential circuit in the amp. You can get them relatively cheaply from Ali express or ebay.
Strange that Benchmark sells it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange that Benchmark sells it.
The benchmark has different gain settings to compensate for lower voltage when using a single ended input. It is also not operating in BTL mode which means you can also (if needed) use a preamp to boost the voltage into the amp to drive it to full power.

This board connects each input of the differential signal to one side of the BTL amp - when one is not driven, that half of the amp (that bridge half) is also not driven. So even if you boost the voltage into the amp, you can still only drive half the voltage output.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
So best advice do not buy as-is for RCA inputs (not working) or for RCA out preamp (not good).

brunes

I just ran RCA to XLR and it works...was pretty loud... bit as above not ideal due to lost power

Overseas

Major Contributor
Interesting. So basically you listen to 1/4 of its power potential. What speakers?

brunes

Had you not told me...I wouldn't have known!
The preamp volume wasn't super high - didn't really notice tbh.

Speakers CSS p215x.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Confirming the 1-5w calculation of power usage...

@antcollinet
What about TRS jack to XLR cables (thinking of my Topping E50)? Thanks.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
XLR and TRS cables are symmetrical from end to end. We can consider that they do the same thing but with different connectors)
The letters TRS stand for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve, and refer to the parts of the jack plug that the different conductors are connected to.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Confirming the 1-5w calculation of power usage...

@antcollinet
What about TRS jack to XLR cables (thinking of my Topping E50)? Thanks.
That will work fine. Balanced TRS are just a different connector carrying the same signals as XLR.

In fact nothing to stop you fitting TRS connectors to this board, then you can go TRS to TRS from the E50.

Overseas

Major Contributor
This is great, then.
Looking for TRS female socket to fit exactly the 3e board, the same with the XLR used here (3 long-toothed pins to be soldered).

ZzerO

The benchmark has different gain settings to compensate for lower voltage when using a single ended input. It is also not operating in BTL mode which means you can also (if needed) use a preamp to boost the voltage into the amp to drive it to full power.

This board connects each input of the differential signal to one side of the BTL amp - when one is not driven, that half of the amp (that bridge half) is also not driven. So even if you boost the voltage into the amp, you can still only drive half the voltage output.

I want to build a dual mono version with this board, but I would use is exclusively single ended, making the modifications as instructed in the manual, adding the opamps and relocating some resistors.

Does the above still apply then?

I am about to order 2 boards from AliExpress for my project, but want to make sure if using single ended this amp will still sound as good as everybody is saying.

Thanks!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I want to build a dual mono version with this board, but I would use is exclusively single ended, making the modifications as instructed in the manual, adding the opamps and relocating some resistors.

Does the above still apply then?

I am about to order 2 boards from AliExpress for my project, but want to make sure if using single ended this amp will still sound as good as everybody is saying.

Thanks!

Same as V1. Check page 9 on the user guide. You just need good solder skills for the Soic8 Opamps

Top Bottom