• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Amp Disappointment

Mutsu

I had been using a class A/B integrated amp with build in USB dac for the last couple of years for my stereo speaker setup and had been relatively happy with it. After getting an RME ADI-2 Dac for my desktop setup with headphones, I got the itch buy a power amp and use the ADI-2 with my stereo speakers.

Needing something that is a small form factor and runs cool, I opted for the XTZ Edge A2 300.

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed versus my class A/B amp. The Edge to my ears in my system sounds laid back and lacks a full rounded sound (especially in the lower frequencies and mids) - this becomes more apparent when listening at lower volumes, even with the Loudness setting enabled on the ADI-2 Dac. It's also very apparent when I go from listening to my speakers and then switch to my headphones where all frequencies sound much more full.

Has anyone experienced this?

At this stage I'm not sure where to go from here: to try other power amps, try EQing the Edge A2 300 or send it back and use my old class A/B amp.

OP
M

Mutsu

Would you recommend I try the Teac AP505? It has a Hypex module and is available for me in Japan.

I think I will send the Edge back, I just checked the product page and they've reduced it 100 euros since I purchased it.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed with March. Heard both

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Is there anything in available data or measurement results that would have been predictive of this ?
And, to your knowledge, do Pascal modules suffer such drawbacks vs Hypex/Purifi ?

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I also have decided to stick with A/B amplification. Definitely have not heard the newer and better switching amplifiers, but happy with what I know.
Return the XTZ and find something you like. Nice dac BTW.

OP
M

Mutsu

Yea, I'm tempted to try something like Hyperx based on March Audio's comment.

Measurement wise I just heard that the Icepower modules measure well, not as good as Hyperx.

Have no idea what the measurements were, but I had an Audiolab 8200P a while ago that I loved the sound of. Unfortunately I'm not in a country where I can use that easily now.

My A/B amp is in quite a different price range to the Edge A2 300 too, $2,000 versus $500, but the A/B amp is an all in one package too and also 9 years old now.

Mudjock

Audio Company
I built an amp based on the icepower 200ASC a number of years ago and had similar issues, and came to understand that there were issues with input impedance and distortion profile vs. frequency (peak at 6.7 kHz) that were messing with the voicing of my speaker designs. In that case, the speaker I voiced using that amp was a little laid back when I used them with other amps. I wound up selling the speakers and amp together, so all worked out well - but had to move to a more neutral amp (a Rotel RB-991). I wonder if XTZ is using input buffering with their icepower implementation. I also wonder if the larger 1200AS2 suffers from the same issue as I would like at some point to replace the Rotel with something smaller, lighter, more efficient. Whatever I replace it with needs to be neutral and resolving above all things.

OP
M

Mutsu

Interesting. What speakers were you using with your amp?

My speakers are Tannoy Precision 6.2

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom