• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In such a scenario measures are unnecessary IMO. Common knowledge and accepted practice are all that is needed. Does one need to test their hands after washing for bacteria levels, or do we just know that it is something that we do as part of proper hygiene? Same would hold true in this instance if one is looking to eliminate all possible variables.
In other words you don't know if anything was really cleaned. Your opinion here is that of a layman, not what we follow here.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
In other words you don't know if anything was really cleaned. Your opinion here is that of a layman, not what we follow here.
Is that the best you can come up with. lol

If you want to say that to justify poor lab practice fine.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Nonsense, we are replicating the function of these products as if they were in your home. As I understand it the AP is in effect the ‘preamp’ in terms of this simulation.

Putting a tx in front of stuff screws this up.

I put a large tx in front of my hifi (hardwired)it was a pita and I would not encourage others do go down this road but that’s by the by.

Unfortunately, ‘what you reckon’ is not of great intrest to the forum .

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Nonsense, we are replicating the function of these products as if they were in your home. As I understand it the AP is in effect the ‘preamp’ in terms of this simulation.

Thomas,

From a proper professional laboratory/research standpoint no matter what field of endeavor you start with the cleanest environment possible. Reason being to eliminate possible contamination and introduction of unwanted variables.

You are not trying to duplicate a home environment. Do they have screaming kids and a barking dog in the room when testing speakers?

Amature testing in one thing, professional another. Nothing wrong with what one is doing but things should be kept in perspective, and a bit of humility can do wonders.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

What I told you has nothing to do with my lab. You are stating that using transformers and such cleans the power. I asked you on what basis you say that? You have no measurements of it at all. So on what basis do you think it does anything?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

I put a large tx in front of my hifi (hardwired)it was a pita and I would not encourage others do go down this road but that’s by the by.

Unfortunately, ‘what you reckon’ is not of great intrest to the forum .
And just to follow up. I am not saying any of this will make a damn bit of difference! It is just the right way to do things.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In such a scenario measures are unnecessary IMO. Common knowledge and accepted practice are all that is needed. Does one need to test their hands after washing for bacteria levels, or do we just know that it is something that we do as part of proper hygiene? Same would hold true in this instance if one is looking to eliminate all possible variables.
Ah! but is it necessary to wash hands that are already clean?

έχω δίκιο

Nobody is talking about a specific item of equipment or test, just general proper practice.
Who says that it is "general proper practice" to power a piece of consumer audio gear under test via an isolation transformer? You've been here for about a year and a half, posted more than 400 messages, and, prior to this Schiit Audio product testing poorly, I don't recall you ever writing that Amirm's test methodology is improper because he doesn't insert an isolation transformer between the gear under test and the AC power outlet.
And just to follow up. I am not saying any of this will make a damn bit of difference! It is just the right way to do things.
What makes you an expert on "the right way to do things" when testing consumer audio gear?
You should probably back off.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The lab was closed yesterday in observance of July 4th holiday in US. :) So here is day 6 warm up snapshot:

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Day 6 Dashboard Measurement.png

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Day 6 Linearity Measurement.png

Nothing is changed as noted on the graphs. Frequency counter still shows the USB clock being too fast and all other measurements are within run-to-run variations.

I will open the thread for comments. But please keep your comments related to review and data or else, Thomas is liable to summon his horse on you!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I’m wearing my underpants for 3 weeks and will measure and post photos ( for the benefit of transparency) to reflect their changing performance.

OK, so long as Amir is not adding the scratch and sniff feature...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
7e2bd079-5cb5-40dc-9f89-2e0ec38f06f4_1_728879499834b229f8b2f1b6168ea7a9.jpg

Brown sauce.

Top Bottom