• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 14.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 82.0%

• Total voters

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Multiple posts deleted. We may have missed a few. So consider this a good time to go back and double check that your post is relevant to this review.

This is an Official Product Review and we must stay focused on this product and the bench test results. Take your side conversations to separate threads. For now we only deleted posts. Further off topic posting will be a deletion and posting privileges restriction. We really don’t want to do that, so please don’t force our hand.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

Sonic-Wall

I just answered the question above ;-)
BTW: If you need balanced outputs with a higher SINAD than the RME just add another DAC like the Topping D50 III to the WiiM Ultra.
If you need a proper phono pre with MC support, just add a second phono pre to the separate analog input.
With 2k cost savings and the connectivity options of the WiiM Ultra, you can do a lot…

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rja4000 Can I connect my network streamer (e.g. Eversolo DMP-A6) via USB and connect power using the other USB-C port?
The DMP-A6 already has PEQ onboard and the DAC is almost as good as this one.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
My Amp is a Purifi 1ET400A (from Buckeye). With respect to adjustment of gain settings, would I just set the toggle to the low gain setting to fully accomplish what you are indicating? Towards the bottom of this post I have provided information appearing on the product page for this amp.
It's easy:
  • Set the gain of the Amp to low.
  • Check whether you can still tolerate the volume at the 0dB setting of the DAC.
  • If not, insert an XLR attenuator adapter into the connection cable like this one for example.
  • If it's not loud enough at 0dB increase the gain setting.
Best DrCWO

GaryH

Major Contributor
I see asked equalization but I (nor you) can't see its real impact on frequency response (if, and how it works!) Even if I'm going to believe that topping implemented is working as expected, let's not fool ourselves - there will be products that will mess it up, and therefore it would be good to measure the real impact that equalization has on frequency response. That's my point.

Looks like it does indeed mess it up (RME blue, Topping black):

index.php

5 Hz off at 100 Hz (plus other errors at higher frequencies), and that's only with 3 filters. With 10 filters engaged the cumulative error could well be even larger depending on the filters, but we'll never know unless it's tested. The 4 year-old Qudelix 5K manages to get this right, and with independent LR channel / 20-band PEQ to boot, plus crossfeed, all for half the price of the Topping.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Sheesh, so EQ is broken from the start? Can they fix it with firmware and software updates?

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
perhaps you should post the commentary associated with the plot in question, instead of performing a hack job and removing all context!

As you may see, it matches pretty well.
This is here a 3 band PEQ test, with maximum gain (+12dB) and attenuation (-12dB) and different Q for each frequency.
The main mismatch is that the 100Hz peak seems to be at 105Hz on the Topping instead.

Sokel

Master Contributor
perhaps you should post the commentary associated with the plot in question, instead of performing a hack job and removing all context!

That's debatable.
Good thing about charts is that they don't need commentary.When someone equalizes 100Hz it must be 100Hz not 101Hz.
If it is then one must ask "what else is wrong if the very frequency is wrong". It's trivial.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I followed his link and read the context. It took me one click and a little bit of scrolling.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Good thing about charts is that they don't need commentary.When someone equalizes 100Hz it must be 100Hz not 101Hz.
If it is then one must ask "what else is wrong if the very frequency is wrong". It's trivial.
As EQ can only be done with USB I guess they calculate EQ in the XMOS processor that normally got used for USB audio connectivity.
Doing so the algorithm may use integer math and this may cause this strange effect o_O

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
So, if you have a room mode at 100Hz, at what frequency should you cut it?

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, if you have a room mode at 100Hz, at what frequency should you cut it?
The exact room mode can only be seen by measurement.
So adjust the EQ and remeasure if you hit it.
If not change F, Q and amplitude till it fits ;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it does indeed mess it up (RME blue, Topping black):

index.php

5 Hz off at 100 Hz (plus other errors at higher frequencies), and that's only with 3 filters. With 10 filters engaged the cumulative error could well be even larger depending on the filters, but we'll never know unless it's tested. The 4 year-old Qudelix 5K manages to get this right, and with independent LR channel / 20-band PEQ to boot, plus crossfeed, all for half the price of the Topping.
That's in comparison to RME implementation. That assumes that RME implementation is rock solid, is it safe to make that assumption? Also is the measurement procedure bonafide & not open to any errors? It's true though that we see differences in the graph, not massive but there.

EDIT: assuming it's an error in Topping, do we know what is causing the error, as in with more filters combined & more complex filters combined are we likely to see increased error or is that not a safe assumption? I wonder what Topping have to say about this.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's in comparison to RME implementation. That assumes that RME implementation is rock solid, is it safe to make that assumption? Also is the measurement procedure bonafide & not open to any errors? It's true though that we see differences in the graph, not massive but there.

EDIT: assuming it's an error in Topping, do we know what is causing the error, as in with more filters combined & more complex filters combined are we likely to see increased error or is that not a safe assumption? I wonder what Topping have to say about this.

Perhaps @amirm could be convinced to run a few more tests if he still has the unit he tested. He did two tests in the review. Since we know Topping is supposed to have 2 more models coming in the not to distant future, and I'm sure other manufactures will follow suit, perhaps the community can come up with some eq specific tests to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

PeterWest

Is anyone having issues after updating to firmware 1.21? Now remote won't pair and firmware requires reinstalls and modes no longer accessible via D50 III right button control. Two emails to Topping unanswered.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Perhaps @amirm could be convinced to run a few more tests if he still has the unit he tested. He did two tests in the review. Since we know Topping is supposed to have 2 more models coming in the not to distant future, and I'm sure other manufactures will follow suit, perhaps the community can come up with some eq specific tests to help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Here is a really good thread about the impact EQ can have.
(a partial fix was the result of this thread)

(note that these are pure digital measurements so no analog penalties involve )

yys310

It's a topping review thread............
So let's face the problem instead of playing with words.

Anyone check the channel balance?
Mine is about 0.07dB off for L and R channel. My motu M4 is now under repair so I cannot measure the output from M4 now but IIRC the deviation from M4 is much smaller than this.
I measured this by MOTU 896MK3 from my friend.
As a comparison I measured the 1,3,5,7 output from MOTU 896MK3 and the loudest and quietest is 0.015dB off.
The D90III is 0.06dB off for L and R channel.

I also measured the Manhattan II and it's 0.001dB off but that's just too expensive so no need to compare with that.
1714328535284.png
1714328567496.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
So let's face the problem instead of playing with words.

Anyone check the channel balance?
Mine is about 0.07dB off for L and R channel. My motu M4 is now under repair so I cannot measure the output from M4 now but IIRC the deviation from M4 is much smaller than this.
I measured this by MOTU 896MK3 from my friend.
As a comparison I measured the 1,3,5,7 output from MOTU 896MK3 and the loudest and quietest is 0.015dB off.
The D90III is 0.06dB off for L and R channel.

I also measured the Manhattan II and it's 0.001dB off but that's just too expensive so no need to compare with that.
View attachment 366456View attachment 366457
(I'm glad that I'm not the only crazy one to measure channel balance right after measuring for DC and malfunctions right out of the box in any device I get)

Top Bottom