• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

gvl

Major Contributor
No, I want to see if your 0.1dB marker slides when using dithered signal for the linearity test.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Since dither is generated within the DAC, not provided by the source, I am having a hard time seeing the relevance of this test?

I'd rather Amir spent his time testing something, anything, else...

gvl

Major Contributor
I want to better understand the test data AP sends to the DAC during the linearity test, does it always set a single bit to 1 and others to 0, or it uses values, perhaps random, that can result in multiple bits set to 1 in individual samples?

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I want to better understand the test data AP sends to the DAC during the linearity test, does it always set a single bit to 1 and others to 0, or it uses values, perhaps random, that can result in multiple bits set to 1 in individual samples?
The "data" sent to the DAC is a simple sine wave. Linearity test keeps changing its level and measures the output of the DAC. At all times the DAC sees a sine wave.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since dither is generated within the DAC, not provided by the source, I am having a hard time seeing the relevance of this test?

I'd rather Amir spent his time testing something, anything, else...
I have recently learned that purgatory for audio is having to measure Schiit audio gear over, over and over again...

derp1n

IMG_88712018-Africa-Chobe-LRes-800x533.jpg

Pushing Schiit up hill?

bennetng

Major Contributor
Dither will only improve performance if input bit-depth is higher than output bit depth. That means a 20-bit device can playback any bit-depth equals to or less than 20 bits without causing any truncation errors.

As long as there is no additional DSP (e.g. volume control, EQ etc) between a 16-bit file source and the input of a DAC, dithering will not make any improvement other than adding a layer of useless noise.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
IMG_88712018-Africa-Chobe-LRes-800x533.jpg

Pushing Schiit up hill?
There’s something magic, heroic even about the dung beatle , I can’t help but think nature played a cruel joke on the little blighter though, poor bastard ...

Dung is fairly amazing, it can be used for all sorts of things and is vastly superior to schiit.

D

Deleted member 2348

Dither will only improve performance if input bit-depth is higher than output bit depth. That means a 20-bit device can playback any bit-depth equals to or less than 20 bits without causing any truncation errors.

As long as there is no additional DSP (e.g. volume control, EQ etc) between a 16-bit file source and the input of a DAC, dithering will not make any improvement other than adding a layer of useless noise.

I don't think that this is 100% correct. Any upsampling and filtering ("oversampling") before the DAC will increase the number of bits because it involves (digital) multiplications. For example, if you multiply 16 bit data with 10 bit filter coefficients you will get 26 bit data. Of course this data will not contain more than 16 bit "real" information, but if you truncate without dither you will get low-level artefacts from the digital filtering (e.g. aliasing components). Any truncation will create distortion which is correlated with the sample frequency.

Edit: Schiit claims to leave the original sample values untouched with their super-burrito-whatever-filter. I wouldn't be surprised if this explained all these low level problems of their multi-bit DACs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombat

Master Contributor
There’s something magic, heroic even about the dung beatle , I can’t help but think nature played a cruel joke on the little blighter though, poor bastard ...

Dung is fairly amazing, it can be used for all sorts of things and is vastly superior to schiit.

It reminds me of the perpetual audio upgrade process - never ending. Like in audio magazines they are selective re the shit they push.

https://repository.up.ac.za/bitstream/handle/2263/30394/07chapter7.pdf?sequence=8 smash.gif

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
The "data" sent to the DAC is a simple sine wave. Linearity test keeps changing its level and measures the output of the DAC. At all times the DAC sees a sine wave.

Don't you think that measuring low level linearity of a technically 20-bit DAC with 24-bit input data, especially undithered, is fundamentally wrong?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you think that measuring low level linearity of a technically 20-bit DAC with 24-bit input data, especially undithered, is fundamentally wrong?
Of course not. The DAC could tell owners it only accepts 20 bit or less inputs or quality degrades. It could do the proper thing and dither 24 bit input to 20 bit internally.

20 bit inputs aren't common on any formats. So Schiit does say this is optimized for 16 bit CD sources. You could do a series of 20 bit tests, but why? You don't have any such sources unless you use some playback software that can do that for you. I suppose you could dither in that software as well if it does that. Or you could convert all your digital files to 20 bit with dither and hold them separately on your hard drive.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do you mean undithered? All signals I send to it is dithered.

That aside, my linearity measurements *stop* at 20 bits/-120 dBFS. If it is true 20 bits, it needs to nail that. It is Jude/Atomicbob who measure to -140 dB/24 bits.

I am not going to send it 20 bits as that is not a music format.

Top Bottom