Search results for query: Siegfried

1. S

The Quality Of Tape: The new transfers of Decca’s Ring recordings

Consistent with the track comparison here on ASR from @Leporello, this other website has a post showing more track comparisons between the 2022 remasters versus the 1984 CDs and the 1997 remaster in the form of 2012 Blu-ray (24bit/48khz). It's apparent there is clipping and reduced dynamic range...
  2. olegtern

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

"What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums" - Siegfried Linkwitz
  3. J

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

On the Linkwitz Lab web page, Siegfried recommended a minimum room of 240 sq. ft. with a minimum ceiling height of 8 ft. Your room size exceeds both of these handily. I run a set of LX521 baffles with the Orion bass modules in a 237.5 sq ft. room with a 7.67 ft. ceiling height and I have no...
  4. M

I agree with this take - I have the LX521.4 and in my room the dipole bass starts to struggle below 50Hz. I have them crossed over to subs (Rythmik F15HP) there so that I do not burn out the coils. I could push a little lower, but no reason. As for the sound of Genelec vs LX521.4 baffles -...
  5. S

...2 subs. See elsewhere in this forum for that. However, it's quite important not to overpower those bass modules. Check either the Siegfried site or the oplug forum for info on the amp needs; but I know the wrong thing is overdriving open-baffle drivers, which is easy to do. Instead of...
  6. olieb

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

To make the connection to the speakers of classic pros. Here is a snippet from an interview with Joachim Kiesler of Geithain about the way they deal with the directivity around 3 kHz...
  7. D

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

As I was reading up on crossovers, I came by this by mr Siegfried Linkwitz on the Linkwitz lab site. https://linkwitzlab.com/models.htm#H «- Psycho-acoustic 3 kHz dip Our perception of loudness is slightly different for sounds arriving frontally versus sounds arriving from random...
  8. B

New Open Baffle Speaker from Clayton Shaw

...was a massive 6+ dB spike in the output of the mids around 375 Hz. What precisely was causing this? After doing serious studying at Siegfried Linkwitz' and John Kreskovsky's websites, I learned that this is called a "dipole peak." The dipole peak is a phenomenon where frequencies which...
  9. N

I think he also wanted to design speakers that did away with the need for treatment too so they would work in these untreated rooms. Finally got around to doing mine and the difference is night and day. The amount of reverb that you can hear in the recordings is amazing when it's not mucked up...
  10. M

Yup, exactly… SL = Siegfried Linkwitz (the man, myth, legend of dipole), may he rest in peace (miss him, I am sure he would have been a member of ASR and made great contributions!)
  11. D

Unusual Speaker Designs

Reminds me of John Watkinsons Legend loudspeakers, that even Siegfried Linkwitz thought were going to be the future: http://www.legendspeakers.com/links.htm John Watkinson demonstrating with a drum, how his loudspeakers sound exactly like the real thing. When I heard them, it was with a bell...
  12. Keith_W

Omnidirectional speakers

Not an anti-omni person by any means, in fact I love omnis like MBL's. I would love to see measurements of them though, that is what seems to be lacking.
  13. Sal1950

Omnidirectional speakers

He made a little money selling them too. LOL Each to their own, speakers vary so widely in how they sound and the listeners own bias plays a big part. It just remains IMHO, that any speaker that is going to be reflecting sounds, in a very non-linear fashion, from numerous points all over the...
  14. J

Omnidirectional speakers

That’s interesting, seeming to be somewhat similar to the Duevel concept. The Duevels are a little better looking…wife actually said she loves the Planets look especially…
  15. K

Omnidirectional speakers

Siegfried Linkwitz was a fan of them, but heck, what did he know? Obviously the anti-omni folk know better. https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/Pluto-2.1.htm
  16. S

speaker form following function

...continue doing so. the exception to measurement excellence but listening preference may be dipole and cardioid designs. there are riffs on siegfried linkwitz’s designs which seem to be well-regarded, I note. in the case of the linkwitz speakers, there is a sacrifice of smoothness of response...
  17. JP

...my factual account of a sub-par experience with Frank that I posted here. Despite the manufacturing issues with my mini's which aren't a Siegfried issue, I enjoyed them until they fell apart (rebuildable, but a pain). My Madisound kit built 521.4 are still going strong, and are still my...
  18. M

This is what Frank wrote on Erin's you tube review. Personally, I don't see anything there warranting a response and it reads more like manufacturer spin than anything else. I also find it telling that Frank did not provide his own recent measurements refuting Erin's but rather referred to...
  19. S

3E Audio 260-2-29A : TPA3255 / HA3588 CoilCraft / PFFB Fully differential.

Have you tested what is the max power output when power supply is only 34V? According to Ti, it’s likely not great.
  20. F

Yes if I go with a minidsp, I would definitely feed it with a digital signal to avoid the extra DA/AD. I would probably go with one of the higher end unit that has a remote with volume control. Right now I much prefer my ADI-2 Pro FS R plugged directly into my amp, no preamp, I didn't test a...
Top Bottom