• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3E Audio 260-2-29A : TPA3255 / HA3588 CoilCraft / PFFB Fully differential.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

I imagine some of you have had the opportunity to test the latest 3E Audio TPA3255 module with PFFB + HA3588 Coilcraft inductors
I refer to version 260-2-29A dated July 2022 ) Designed with Fully differential signal chain from input to output.

This module seems to be close behind the PA5 according to the measurements. But its robustness and reliability have good press ! And that’s what particularly attracts my attention

THD+N in 4Ω / F = 1kHz, Po =5W = 0.0007% (quite impressive)

Can any of you share an opinion based on a concrete test? I'm tempted by this DIY project)

Full SPEC :

FULL SPEC DOWNLOAD

3E.JPG

1669033522744-jpeg.1112041

Measurements :

AES17 measurement filter
3E Audio 260-2-29A
PSU : Morsun LOF350-20B48-C with PFC

3E THD N 8R.JPG

3E THD N 4R.JPG

3E Frequency Response.JPG

Last edited:

S=klogW

Hi daniboun,

I bought a 3eAudio 260-2-29A a couple of months ago. I am very impressed with the quality of their engineering and very much like their 'hot plate' heatsink approach vice the standard approach; even before you bolt the plate to your chassis, the 260-2-29A runs much cooler than the heat fin types. I removed the hot plate and cleaned the heat paste from the TPA3255 IC and I have great confidence this is a real TI device, unlike some chips I've seen on the $20 TPA3255 boards.
I measured the 260-2-29A THD+N at 5watts into a 4ohm dummy load:

3eAudio TPA3255 with PFFB original gain of 10.573x and 5watts into 4ohm dummy load 100ohm 56nF...jpg

Really good to see it is bang on spec at 103.2dB sinad. Right up there in the top tier in Amir's League table of power amps. If you can use a soldering iron and a screwdriver it gives the best bang for buck of any amplifier, I believe. I use it with a Meanwell LRS-350-36 turned down to 34V for best sinad.

I use this with a 2-way active loudspeaker (Siegfried linkwitz's LXmini) and as such have no use for more than 100watts into 8ohms maximum output - four channels with 100watts each, that's more than enough power for my ears! So. I reduced the 260-2-29A gain from 20.5dB to 16.5dB and now get 105.8dB sinad 5watts into 4ohms. Now I'm within 0.4dB of the sinad performance of the Trinnov 8m at US $9,500 for 8 channels vice US $130 for two channels (3e amp plus Meanwell psu plus an old biscuit tin to house its cool running self!). DIY audio is the best: hours of fun; exercises the brain; saves a fortune and the music sounds tip-top!

So my advice is that if you retain some handywork skills after the 'Great Global Outsourcing Event' then take the 3eAudio DIY route; it's got the quality, the performance and the price!

3eAudio TPA3255 with PFFB Right ch modded to 5.204x overall gain 5watts into 4ohm dummy load 1...jpg

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi daniboun,

Really good to see it is bang on spec at 103.2dB sinad. Right up there in the top tier in Amir's League table of power amps. If you can use a soldering iron and a screwdriver it gives the best bang for buck of any amplifier, I believe. I use it with a Meanwell LRS-350-36 turned down to 34V for best sinad.

I use this with a 2-way active loudspeaker (Siegfried linkwitz's LXmini) and as such have no use for more than 100watts into 8ohms maximum output - four channels with 100watts each, that's more than enough power for my ears! So. I reduced the 260-2-29A gain from 20.5dB to 16.5dB and now get 105.8dB sinad 5watts into 4ohms. Now I'm within 0.4dB of the sinad performance of the Trinnov 8m at US $9,500 for 8 channels vice US $130 for two channels (3e amp plus Meanwell psu plus an old biscuit tin to house its cool running self!). DIY audio is the best: hours of fun; exercises the brain; saves a fortune and the music sounds tip-top!

So my advice is that if you retain some handywork skills after the 'Great Global Outsourcing Event' then take the 3eAudio DIY route; it's got the quality, the performance and the price!

Many thanks for this answer )
105.8dB Sinad 5watts into 4 ohms > really close to the Topping PA5 = 4R@5W @106DB
I guess its frequency response is also linear thanks to the default PFFB mode.
Here we have a module that could meet the expectations of TPA3255 fans by erasing Topping's reliability flaws ) :)

I think I'm going to embark on the adventure, especially since I've built a bunch of amps) It will make another one in the trunk lol
I have to think about the PSU : Connex LLC vs other PFC. I know that the TPA3255 have a better THD+N figure below 40V.

For 300€ I will be able to build a beautiful amp, I already have an idea of the enclosure)

PS : as far as I know the Trinnov 8M embeds Ncore NC500 modules ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'm going to embark on the adventure,

If you do, please feedback component choices and status here. I've also been interested in this board - I may just follow you down the road.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
If you do, please feedback component choices and status here. I've also been interested in this board - I may just follow you down the road.

Sure, as soon as I place an order, I will be sure to share some pcitures with you and I will inform you of the progress)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
So I ask the first question to the enthusiasts :

PSU choice : LLC or PFC ? 36V or 48V ?

1) Connex LLC SMPS300RS (V3.3) 36V spec > SPEC HERE

2) MP-H250S48 SMPS with PFC 48V spec > SPEC HERE (NB, Voltage can be set from 45,5V to 51V)

3) Meanwell RPS-500 PFC 36V spec > SPEC HERE

4) Meanwell LRS350-36 spec > SPEC HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be leaning towards 36V if you can get about 10A peak. Would squeeze a little more peak power than 48V 7.2A peak. Plus keeping the amp at the safer end of voltage range.

I like the look of the Connex. Looks a little more expensive though not so much as the meanwell

charlielaub

I pair the 3e audio boards with Meanwell UHP line SMPS. They are universal voltage, have PFC, and are fanless. For example, part numbers:
UHP-48-500
UHP-48-1000

I ordered some custom chassis that I have received but have not yet used to build up a couple of multichannels amps based on the 3e TPA3255 amps boards. It will be my fall and winter project this year.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I pair the 3e audio boards with Meanwell UHP line SMPS. They are universal voltage, have PFC, and are fanless. For example, part numbers:
UHP-48-500
UHP-48-1000
They look OK too.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I use the Mean Well HRP series for amplifiers that work with single voltage. Very low ripple and noise and good efficiency. In addition, there is a very large adjustable voltage range.
Alternatively also HRPG or MSP (MOOP level), both with remote on/off eg for protective functions.

maty

Major Contributor

TPA3255 TPA3251 with Post Filter Feedback(PFFB).png

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I use the Mean Well HRP series for amplifiers that work with single voltage. Very low ripple and noise and good efficiency. In addition, there is a very large adjustable voltage range.
Alternatively also HRPG or MSP (MOOP level), both with remote on/off eg for protective functions.

The HRP serie is great too ! Ripple/Noise < 200mv should be OK since the switching frequency of the SMPS is pretty high. The ripple on the PVDD is filtered out by the amplifier's lowpass output filter. The module would be able to eliminate non-DC signals or harmonics.. = I refer to PSRR in other terms

Ultimately, all the PSUs that I mentioned above will be suitable ):)

Here are the measurements of the Meanwell LRS350-36 and the Connex SMPS300RS for example, they are neck to neck (Left Meanwell, Right Connex)

LRS-350-36.jpg
SMPS300RS.jpg

Last edited:

sokool0

Good luck to your new project. I've also made an amp with 3e audio tpa3255, and it's the best out there in my area.
BTW, I've found you made an amp with dual PL-AD-160 ma12070. What about the amp? I'm thinking an amp to build for my son with that module for a gift.

Thanks in advance.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

View attachment 309988

Well done. but I remain a supporter of “Less is more” > There are a lot of items in this box :p
3E Audio used the OPA1612 on their module after a series of tests it turned out that they gave better results than the other OP amps tested. This is why they cannot be updated on this module in differential mode only. On the other hand, you can add the OP amps of your choice in SE mode. (requires good soldering skills, check user guide)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

@antcollinet >​

I confirmed my order. As I am French, I always go through Audiophonics, I want to have a good guarantee and efficient after-sales service.

Enclosure > round corners 272x212x60mm (I used it for many projects, It is of very good quality , easy to work with and nice design)
Module > 3E Audio 260-2-29a
Binding post > Acrylic isolated terminal blocks
PSU > MP-H250S48 with PFC (Seems to be the best alternative for consistent value for money, I got good feedbacks about it)
For binding post cables, connectors, IEC, AC filter etc, I use 2.5mm2 good quality copper cables + XLR Neutrik, (from my old Hypex amp)

See you for the next step) :)

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Good luck to your new project. I've also made an amp with 3e audio tpa3255, and it's the best out there in my area.
BTW, I've found you made an amp with dual PL-AD-160 ma12070. What about the amp? I'm thinking an amp to build for my son with that module for a gift.

Thanks in advance.

I introduced this project here a few months ago already, but to give you an idea of my dual Mono MA12070 full balanced
However, this is not the right thread to talk about it.

1693986908739.png

S=klogW

Many thanks for this answer )
105.8dB Sinad 5watts into 4 ohms > really close to the Topping PA5 = 4R@5W @106DB
I guess its frequency response is also linear thanks to the default PFFB mode.
Here we have a module that could meet the expectations of TPA3255 fans by erasing Topping's reliability flaws ) :)

I think I'm going to embark on the adventure, especially since I've built a bunch of amps) It will make another one in the trunk lol
I have to think about the PSU : Connex LLC vs other PFC. I know that the TPA3255 have a better THD+N figure below 40V.

For 300€ I will be able to build a beautiful amp, I already have an idea of the enclosure)

PS : as far as I know the Trinnov 8M embeds Ncore NC500 modules ?

It's actually already surpassed the Topping PA5 (Amir's measurements):

1693987107823.png

and it certainly better than the Topping PA5 II

1693987195591.png

The PA5 II is 1dB worse in sinad than the original PA5, that is until the PA5 goes bang, then the PA5 II becomes infinitely better!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
The PA5 II is 1dB worse in sinad than the original PA5, that is until the PA5 goes bang, then the PA5 II becomes infinitely better!

LOL )
This is a bit the objective of this Thread, to offer an alternative to the PA5 while avoiding reliability concerns)

73274862-bombe-explosion-dessin-anim%C3%A9-style-vecteur-mod%C3%A8le-isol%C3%A9.jpg

Top Bottom