• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5 Channel Amp Question

OrangePower

I'm looking at four 5 channel amps that are similar in price. They are the ATI at1825, the Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2, the Parasound A52+ and the Rotel RMB-1585. The ATI and the Anthem have two toroidal transformers and the Parasound and Rotel have one. Is having two toroidal transformers generally better than having one? It would seem it would be better but I'm no expert. Anybody here have the answer to this question? Appreciate your feedback.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking at four 5 channel amps that are similar in price. They are the ATI at1825, the Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2, the Parasound A52+ and the Rotel RMB-1585. The ATI and the Anthem have two toroidal transformers and the Parasound and Rotel have one. Is having two toroidal transformers generally better than having one? It would seem it would be better but I'm no expert. Anybody here have the answer to this question? Appreciate your feedback.

Including multiple toroidal transformers, as in the case of the ATI and Anthem 5 channel amplifiers can provide greater power reserves and added power efficiency compared to a single transformer. Having two toroidal transformers is generally considered better than having just one with a five channel audio amplifier design. Whether you need the extra power and efficiency is another question?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you can have multichannel amplifiers with no linear power supplies (and big toroidal transformers), and instead use smaller SMPS power supplies and higher power class D stages, with lower noise, distortion, weight, heat loss and price.

OP
O

OrangePower

Including multiple toroidal transformers, as in the case of the ATI and Anthem 5 channel amplifiers can provide greater power reserves and added power efficiency compared to a single transformer. Having two toroidal transformers is generally considered better than having just one with a five channel audio amplifier design. Whether you need the extra power and efficiency is another question?
Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can help decide if I need the extra power and efficiency or not. My speakers are the Infinity Prelude MTS speakers and they are 4 ohm. They consist of 4 towers with two of the towers sitting on two 12 inch subs that are self powered so really the amp is powering the towers and teh center channel. They are rated to 500 watts. The room is about 22 feet x 17.5 feet. I think the speakers could use the headroom when needed and if the amps are all in the same price area, why would I choose an amp that has one toroidal transformer when there are choices that have two? Is that faulty thinking?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of the listeners at ASR have switched to Class D amps as they are typically lighter and can be a good value. Class AB power amps have a long history of doing a great job but many would rather not have to deal with a 70-90lb amp if we can get the same performance or better with a lighter class D design. Ultimately, you buy whatever your preference is. However, we would be leaving out too much information if we didn't at least consider Class D.

ATI makes great amps. In both class AB and class D formats but they are not inexpensive. Monoprice sells premium AB amps that are built by ATI and another group of class D amps as well, at a lower price point. Worth considering if you absolutely want class AB.

Based on your Infinite speakers with a sensitivity of 90dB, you can exceed 105dB at a distance of 10' with approx. 200W of power per channel. I can't imagine wanting to be in the room at that level for long but that calculation offers an idea of what would be plenty of power for your room.

1. If you desire an AB 5 channel amp I would suggest the Monolith 5x200. It will be in stock at $1599.99 in May 2024. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593
I have the Monolith 7x200 version and it's a beast at 92lbs. It can handle anything thrown at it and it stays relatively cool even after 90 minutes of home theater fun. The 5 channel weighs 78 pounds so I hope you work out. I had to basically slowly roll my 92lb beast into a bottom shelf. :D

2. If you want to try the new class D amps. I would consider one of the options below.
Option A. The new Boxem Audio A 5518/N5 which offers five NCx500 channels with up to 600W per channel into your 4ohm speakers. It sells for $2311. You would need to be sure it's located in an area with good ventilation. It offers the ability to turn off automatically when no music is detected for 10 minutes. It can be purchased with SpeakON connectors for the best connection available or with nice binding posts for about $220 more.

Option B. If you want a cooler running Class D setup you might consider purchasing a Purifi design.
Buckeye offers a stereo Purifi and a 3 channel. The two could be used together to meet your 5 channel needs,
The cases aren't much to look at but they will certainly do the job. The total for both amps would be $2525.
The Purifi offers 425W into 4 ohms - so more than you will ever need.

Option C. There are also older Hypex version amps available as well like the Buckeye NC502MP 6 channel for $1625. It weighs 16lbs instead of 78Lbs like the Monolith 5x200. The specs are still good for the NC502MP but given a choice I like the Purifi. But it's also more money.

Pick your poison. You have lots of options.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the sizes/ratings of each transformer? Is simultaneous power into each speaker that critical (or even likely, particularly for surrounds)? The actual spec of the transformer isn't always provided, either.

Top Bottom