• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Absurd Yelp reviews

ta240

Major Contributor
I keep finding yelp reviews that are just rediculous.

I think I posted on in the humor section where someone gave 1 star to an outlet mall because it was too busy on the day after Thanksgiving and they had trouble finding parking. Who could have guessed?

I saw another where a the person didn't even use the company but they saw the "1 Day Bath Remodel" truck at their neighbors house for 2 days. And that prompted them to write a review of the company. They gave them 1 star and called them liars in all caps; because "it wasn't 1 day!!!". The company responded that their neighbor had gotten 2 bathrooms done; one each day. Who reviews a company they aren't even using and have zero information on how the encounter went?

On restaurants I usually just look at the pictures of the food and skip the idiotic comments, but this person put the review comment with the picture. They complained that they asked for their fried items to be "extra crispy" and they weren't. The supplied proof was a picture of their receipt with "Crispy" noted under the items. What I guess we weren't supposed to notice was that the receipt was on a to-go container and it said "Door Dash" at the top of it. Somehow this person thought the restaurant had a magical way to keep their items crispy for all the time they set, basically steaming, in the container while being delivered. They weren't sane enough to go "maybe I shouldn't order crispy fried items that will take a long time to get to me".
To really show their level of genius they added another picture of the food in their home toaster oven/air fryer, saying that they tried to save them that way but it didn't work. The problem there is they were using the regular cooking tray, not the mesh 'air fryer' tray that comes with that model; and is needed for air frying. So they weren't even using the appliance correctly. Stupid layered on stupid.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I keep finding yelp reviews that are just rediculous.

I think I posted on in the humor section where someone gave 1 star to an outlet mall because it was too busy on the day after Thanksgiving and they had trouble finding parking. Who could have guessed?

I saw another where a the person didn't even use the company but they saw the "1 Day Bath Remodel" truck at their neighbors house for 2 days. And that prompted them to write a review of the company. They gave them 1 star and called them liars in all caps; because "it wasn't 1 day!!!". The company responded that their neighbor had gotten 2 bathrooms done; one each day. Who reviews a company they aren't even using and have zero information on how the encounter went?

On restaurants I usually just look at the pictures of the food and skip the idiotic comments, but this person put the review comment with the picture. They complained that they asked for their fried items to be "extra crispy" and they weren't. The supplied proof was a picture of their receipt with "Crispy" noted under the items. What I guess we weren't supposed to notice was that the receipt was on a to-go container and it said "Door Dash" at the top of it. Somehow this person thought the restaurant had a magical way to keep their items crispy for all the time they set, basically steaming, in the container while being delivered. They weren't sane enough to go "maybe I shouldn't order crispy fried items that will take a long time to get to me".
To really show their level of genius they added another picture of the food in their home toaster oven/air fryer, saying that they tried to save them that way but it didn't work. The problem there is they were using the regular cooking tray, not the mesh 'air fryer' tray that comes with that model; and is needed for air frying. So they weren't even using the appliance correctly. Stupid layered on stupid.
Sadly that's just a large swathe of society, and most people only bother to comment if it's negativity. A lot of those types of review sites are quite misleading. And you have those people that like to use such situations for an Instagram post for attention, it's a funny old world we live in now.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
There was a short bit of time where reviews of any sort seemed useful but that has long passed.

In the non-Yelp world there are the "I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it should work, 5 out of 5 stars".

And from the other side I've written a couple product reviews on manufactures sites that basically said "Here is the good and the bad about it. This is why it didn't work for me but if that isn't important to you then it should be fine" and they never added them to their list of reviews.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
High speed SD and MicroSD card reviews are by far the worst I've ever seen when it comes to people complaining. In every Absurd review I've ever read it was the users fault, not the manufactures!

For reference I'm talking about UHS-II class cards with rated reads speeds of 280 MB/s or greater.

I've seen people complain because:
  • The used a UHS-1 card reader (maxes out at 104 MB/s).
  • They plugged their reader into a USB 2.0 port on their computer (maxes out at 60 MB/s).
  • They were trying to write to a standard consumer HD (maxes out at ~200 MB/s).
  • They were transferring lots of small files (looking at you mp3 hoarders).

BrooklynNick

The supplied proof was a picture of their receipt with "Crispy" noted under the items. What I guess we weren't supposed to notice was that the receipt was on a to-go container and it said "Door Dash" at the top of it. Somehow this person thought the restaurant had a magical way to keep their items crispy for all the time they set, basically steaming, in the container while being delivered. They weren't sane enough to go "maybe I shouldn't order crispy fried items that will take a long time to get to me".

A lot of restaurants that deliver know to use packaging for fried items that don't steam the food. There are some options that work pretty well and others that turn the food to mush. Agree that this particular case sounds stupid though, lol.

I think the most useful part of Yelp for restaurant reviews are the pictures of the food.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
High speed SD and MicroSD card reviews are by far the worst I've ever seen when it comes to people complaining. In every Absurd review I've ever read it was the users fault, not the manufactures!

For reference I'm talking about UHS-II class cards with rated reads speeds of 280 MB/s or greater.

I've seen people complain because:
  • The used a UHS-1 card reader (maxes out at 104 MB/s).
  • They plugged their reader into a USB 2.0 port on their computer (maxes out at 60 MB/s).
  • They were trying to write to a standard consumer HD (maxes out at ~200 MB/s).
  • They were transferring lots of small files (looking at you mp3 hoarders).
I got into an argument with someone about a WiFi access point once. The unit used a 10/100 port but it had wireless AC.. which is fine if it's used in a "mesh" situation which could potentially yield faster than 100mbps, but using it as an access point (AP) it was limited to 100mbps (with ethernet overhead). He screamed and belittled me saying I didn't know anything about bits vs bytes (which wasn't the issue in the first place) and eventually walked away with steam coming out of his ears.

He refused to believe me that using it as an AP would mean you're limited to 100mbps bandwidth.. it was extremely absurd and I had little invested in the conversation, but the amount of anger over something as ridiculous as that was comical to me at the very least.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
I got into an argument with someone about a WiFi access point once. The unit used a 10/100 port but it had wireless AC.. which is fine if it's used in a "mesh" situation which could potentially yield faster than 100mbps, but using it as an access point (AP) it was limited to 100mbps (with ethernet overhead). He screamed and belittled me saying I didn't know anything about bits vs bytes (which wasn't the issue in the first place) and eventually walked away with steam coming out of his ears.

He refused to believe me that using it as an AP would mean you're limited to 100mbps bandwidth.. it was extremely absurd and I had little invested in the conversation, but the amount of anger over something as ridiculous as that was comical to me at the very least.
It is amazing how invested people will get in arguments like that.
Years ago after an encounter with someone like that I started telling myself in those situations "You will never convince an idiot that they are an idiot"

EERecordist

I would request @AdamG remove Yelp topics. In the context of several recent discussions, it can create problems.

Yelp topics and comments on ASR are not useful to its mission.

If people want to post random talk, humor, and criticism of the world there are many platforms.

Top Bottom