• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima makes a $125 XLR TPA3255 amp w/ internal psu and double VU meters!

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can I pay in bitcoin? ;)

You see I've been through the music with an amp with no name
It felt good to be part of the gain
With this amp, it can't remember it's name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give it a name
La la la la la la...

JSmith
I now know after contacting Aiyima Technology Store that this has 5 replaceable op amps…

Schlippwhip68

I think this one from Aiyima might be better value for money than even the V3 at the moment. An internal PSU that more than likely could even be upgraded at a later date if you fancy an Active PFC power supply if it is not already installed which just might be the case if those toroidal inductors are anything to go by on the left side of the heatsink, could just well be an active PFC power supply…although at the current price it’s unlikely but still could be an option at later date which also leads mento think how long it might be before they offer these options prior to purchasing…

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, if they eliminated the silly vu meters what could they do performance-wise or price-wise instead? I'll never understand the fascination with vu meters, after my first set lost any interest in a few minutes.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this place has established that Fosi and Aiyima etc. can buy VU meters en masse from well under $3 usd etc.

see how everyone uses a generic VU meter

and so if they didnt spend $3 or $6 on two VU meters they wouldnt spend that extra $6 on sound "improvements" - and then we see with Fosi that its not about the money... its about TALENT using standard genuine ingredients that makes a difference.

in sum... its not like a zero sum thing to make these amps

if 2 x VU meters make this much more enticing a buy to their domestic market then they will do it

people in this thread have recognised that Aiyima *seem* to be using famous brand parts... in theory they should be able to make a decent measuring piece of equipment

to me this is just an odd unit... like who is asking for an XLR TPA3255 besides this cursed folks at this place??? and and $125 i mean... its hard to argue that this isnt a feature packed unit

ALTHOUGH I noticed they say they have a US model but all pics show 220v???

Schlippwhip68

…cursed folks…bit harsh. Its a nice amp from Aiyima and I am looking forward to getting my hands on it. Lets be honest I highly doubt it will sound bad either. I will also be adding a vintage deep brown colour to that lovely casing like I have done with my BRZHIFI 3255XLR.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 187

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its useless schnickschnack
/papperlapápp/!

Prove to me that VU sound meters don't make your amp three times as attractive.
Pro tip, you can't!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
/papperlapápp/!

Prove to me that VU sound meters don't make your amp three times as attractive.
Pro tip, you can't!

I dont have to. For me its enough to know that there are much better things to spend money for than vu meters on a amp. Better have a headphone out, sub outs. Than this gimmicks.

Talisman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this one from Aiyima might be better value for money than even the V3 at the moment.
Assuming this makes no sense. Out there is literally full of Chinese amplifiers with these characteristics, the value of Fosi V3 is that it has been tested and has measured remarkable performances. the absolute best for any amp under 100 Euros (but probably close to 150) Until this product is tested (if it ever will be) it will remain just one of many cheap amplifiers full of frills and lights but without knowing its true quality.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
being a TPA3255 doesnt make it great

but Aiyima has experience with the A07... if this unit is just an A07 w/ XLR then I'll take it.. the VU meters are just gravy.

my expectation is Aiyima wont go backwards from the A07

Schlippwhip68

Assuming this makes no sense. Out there is literally full of Chinese amplifiers with these characteristics, the value of Fosi V3 is that it has been tested and has measured remarkable performances. the absolute best for any amp under 100 Euros (but probably close to 150) Until this product is tested (if it ever will be) it will remain just one of many cheap amplifiers full of frills and lights but without knowing its true quality.
Yes, I have the V3 and its nice. Very detailed sound, but even with the 48v power supply its sadly another underpowered amp. It barely pushes my Monitor Audio Bronze 200 floorstanders. It sounds ok around 2.00 o’clock but still not a party amp by any means. I have the BRZHIFI 3255XLR, same chip and similar grade on internal components with Wima caps and so on. That one is a party amp. It doesn’t quite have the refinement of the V3 but it has muscle, plenty of muscle. The BRZHIFI has a similar power supply to this Aiyima so I’m guessing this is going to have a similar output. I will know for sure within a couple of weeks as I have ordered one from Aiyima Technology Store, Ali Express. I will also be rolling the op amps. My current choice hovers between the the opa2604, Muses 8920, 8820 and the opa1622. The BRZHIFI has a pair of opa1622 in there and they sound great, super clear, excellent instrument separation and well defined in all frequencies. I think this one from Aiyima just might be a nice suprise…

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

This arrived today. I have not heard yet but it does have a name…

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_1394.jpeg
    IMG_1394.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 286
OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
price has gone up to $133 on ali

BUT...

those pics are flattering... the quality looks very decent, too decent for the money

the knurled vol., the fused IEC power, the front rear plates look spot on, cant imagine how they can do this for $133

what does not look spot on is the name... YNCO????

YNCO???

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Its useless schnickschnack for the eys. A clipping led is more usefull and cheaper.

Clip LEDs are hardly more useful. I would argue less so in fact.

All of these meters are voltage based, and that means that even if they offer some nominal impedance switching to give a somewhat remotely 'close' figure on continuous signals, they are pretty much useless on dynamic content. The Chinese meters used are actually cute, but have dreadful ballistics and really are just eye-candy.

Clip lights work in various ways (too complicated to go into here), none of which can be relied on and all of them are set (IME) to trigger well below actual clipping- so they are useless by definition. Even designs which look at drive approaching the rails are not accurate with wildly varying attached loads.

Schlippwhip68

Ok, here we go so far on first listen….sounds ok out of the box…mmm…fairly typical for the TPA3255 with the NE5532 op amps. Bluetooth is good, quite clear and listening is easy. The bass control is quite smooth in gain but…the treble sounds like an angry Bald Eagles scream past 1.00 o'clock…this is so far…unfortunately there is quite a loud pop when turning this amp off and the VU light reappears for a second after switching off. I have to confess, my expectations may have been a little high…the knobs are shallow unlike the V3. The sound signature is not a problem at all but the pop when switching off is and it appears only to come from the left channel so far…if I could post a vid, I would.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Top Bottom